The online racing simulator
Little concerned about my PS3 - takes time to turn off
Hi all. I was wondering if some of you could put me out of doubt. I got a PS3 about a month ago now. Great fun and everything. There is just one thing that concerns me and that it seems to take longer to shut down than when I first got it.

I'm not entirely sure what it could be but once, when I was turning it off, the green light kept flashing and wouldn't turn off so I flicked the main power switch at the back which I admit to being a complete idiot for as I've just read in the manual that its a big no no.

I talked to my brother about it and he said that because modern day consoles are so much like PCs now that when you use it for a while and add data to the hard drive that it would naturally take longer to turn off over time which seems like a reasonable possibility.

To get straight to the point, my PS3 takes 8 seconds to shut down from the moment i select 'yes' to shut the system down from the controller with a disc in the drive, i think its maybe a second or two less without a disc so is this normal?
#2 - TiJay
Nah, this is normal. Mine is a bit sluggish as well.
Mins started a major slow-down recently. As it's almost co-inciding with the warranty expiry (Of course it is :rolleyes, I'm going to open it up and blow it out. Might just be a collection of 3 years worth of dust and crap

Also, get yerself a nice big memory card, back everything up, and re-format. Might help a little bit
Seems a rather trivial issue.

My computer sometimes takes 2 minutes to turn off. Just be patient, does it really affect/worry you that much?
#5 - 5haz
I remember when sometimes Windows 98 would completely refuse to shut down.

As for PS3, no idea sorry.
#6 - DeKo
Quote from 5haz :I remember when sometimes Windows 98 would completely refuse to shut down.

As for PS3, no idea sorry.

ive had it with XP, just one of those "End Now" windows on a permanent cycle.
Nah, if its normal, I'm fine with it. Just concerned if it isn't, meaning there is something wrong with it = games won't run properly. I'm gonna give sony a call tomorrow and see what they say about it. Its only a month old so if there is something wrong with it then can get it replaced.
how long Exactly does it take, do this timing test over say the next 10 times you use it and get an average
mine only takes ages to turn off if ive been playing a game and havent gone back to the dashboard thing. And if i have no cd in there then it will turn off almost instantly.
#10 - CSU1
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Seems a rather trivial issue.

Just be patient, does it really affect/worry you that much?

POST OF THE YEAR!!!

'There are none so blind as those who will not see'

Ignorance?
Mine does the same. I always assumed it was emptying a cache or something.
i have this problem on xbox, not always but after long session of playing the xbox closes but that (cooler?) thingy doesnt shut down but keeps on few secs
mine takes a few seconds to turn off with the green light flashing, always has done and its perfectly normal
Had a good COD4 session yesterday and it still turned off about 5-7 seconds after pressing the button. Doesn't seem to be affected by how long you've been playing or what state it's turned off in
I called Sony yesterday and as originally mentioned by my brother, they told me that its a normal thing as over time it would take longer to shut down. Oddly enough though, I turned it off once yesterday and it turned off in about 3 seconds so strange . Ah! but screw it, as long as its normal, I'm enjoying challenging myself with the Ford GT LM round Suzuka in Professional

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG