The online racing simulator
Your Racing Game History.
(71 posts, started )
Quote from BigPeBe :Ah, thank you for reminding me of that, gonna add it to the list now.

Here's the legendary intro video! Memories!

edit: I found the intro to POD
The first racing games I played were on the Decca game console I think, then came the VIC-20, after that the MSX-1. The games I remember the most from that period are mostly Konami's.

Road Fighter, a classic top-view racer where you hopped on your Ferrari lookalike to face time challenges divided up in stages, with water and oil spots on the track to slow you down or make you spin, and some crazy opponents who tried to crash you. Like most Konami's games of the golden-age, it was very well made and entertaining.

Hyper Rally
another fun racing game, more sophisticated than Road Fighter, and relied on chase view instead.

Chequered Flag which was a coin op, one of my favorites, I liked it much more than say the classic Outrun. It sort of simulated an arcade version of a racing career, also had damage and other stuff I can't quite remember now. Top-view again. Spent entirely too much money on that

More screenshots: http://www.rom-world.com/viewscreenshots.php?id=470,

From the PC era, the only ones I can remember are: Test Drive 1 and 2, Stunts, GP2, Indy 500. I stopped playing regularly around 1993-4 IIRC, with some occasional come-backs which had nothing to do with racing (e.g. Quake, Warcraft II, Transport Tycoon, StarCraft, Warlords III, Caesar 3, Blade Runner, Fahrenheit).

I got back into regular playing at the end of 2007, and the culprit was TrackMania Nations. Someone there mentioned LFS in a conversation about controllers and the rest is history. I still play a few TMN-F, mainly with my SO (who despises LFS thoroughly)

Quote from ColeusRattus :And I can still remember the hardest AI enemy: "Bruno Gourdo"

OMG Bruno Gourdo!!! How could I forget him! Though I still remember Skid Vicious from Stunts

PS: I came up with some more titles which were quite fun:

Atari Super Sprint
this was a big coin up with up to 4 wheels IIRC and just as many players. The screen was absolutely giant for the time.

Ironman
very similar to Super Sprint, played this both as a Coin Op and on the PC.

Death Rally
from the same Finnish guys who wrote the famous demo 2nd reality (anyone remember Purple Motion?? I loved his mods, I still use one as my cell phone ringtone )

Very nice game with upgrades, top-view, a real classic.

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=X5OB1f2tSpM

Ignition
. recent game. Quite an underdog I think. Still very fun! Used to play it against my BIL

PPS: I also played GTA (the original), GTA III and San Andreas.
-
(NightShift) DELETED by NightShift : merged with previous one
Mmm, started off with GP2. Then I moved to Screamer 2.

After that, I found myself with that Johnny Herbets F1 Game thing.

I moved onto GPL and found myself playing that, alongside GT1 and GT2. When LFS came out I started playing the demo way back in early 2004 or something. After a year I bought S1. About a year later S2 came out so I bought that.

I sometimes play Race 07/GTR Evo, often play LFS and sometimes GPL when I can find the cd! :doh:
Quote from hrtburnout :Here's the legendary intro video! Memories!

Hmmm, that's not actually intro from the game I was talking about. I thought that was it's name and I know that it was labeled by Ubisoft. It was very similar at least the incar cam was but it was a bit more modern I think. IIRC it's intro only featured a formula driver walking or something. It also didn't have license for real F1 teams so the cars colours weren't like IRL and it also featured a game mod with some like 1950's Formulas.

Maybe there were something like Formula 1 Racing Simulator 2 or similar then?

-EDIT- Now I found it! It was Racing Simulation: Monaco Grand Prix 2. Tho I was a bit wrong about the intro.
- Gran Turismo 2
- Gran Turismo 3
- Gran Turismo 4 Prologue
- Gran Turismo 4
- Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
.... a lot of gran turismo

Also did a lot of Colin McRea Rally 2 (PSone) and a few years later DTM Race Driver 2 & 3 (PC), followed by GTR2 (PC).

Have known LFS for quite a bit, but havent been playing it until last september. After a month or so I bought myself a S2 license. No single regret, LFS is great.
It's scary that I recognize that DOS stuff from the early 90's. My sim history goes way back as well, and I even have a Porsche 928 battery powered clicker thing like that Tomy Racing Turbo toy.

Let me just say a few words about GranTurismo One. It rocked my world. It turned it upside down and it blew me away. Although I hate what GranTurismo represents today, I have to admit that I was once one of those kids with GT1. Y'know... thought they knew everything there was to know about cars, and had the video game to back it up?

I even remember trying to drift with an AE86 and wondered why I couldn't. Well because the physics were fcking messed up! I didn't know better back then. They lied to me! They told me I had a simulator! Screw you polyPhoney! Damn it they got me again with GT3. Then they got me again with GT4.

I'm smarter now. I have a driver's license now I have track experience now. They won't get me again. GT5, LFS, NKP, and especially iRacing, I raise my eyebrow at you with skepticism

So what hasn't been mentioned yet...

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE Racer! Was this the first time we saw a 900-ish degree wheel with clutch and H-shifter?

And was it not until Ferrari F355 Challenge that we saw 3 pedals again?
Omg I remember the F355 challenge. I'd go bowling JUST to play on it. I'd use all three pedals and H-shifter when I was like 11. Hah, those were the days. I'd dream of buying the arcade machine and sticking it my garage. Gah, those were the days!!
Quote from Mattesa :ItRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE Racer! Was this the first time we saw a 900-ish degree wheel with clutch and H-shifter?

Nope.. the Hard Drivin' arcade machine had ~900 degrees (can't remember exactly how many, but the wheel turned a lot) and had both clutch and H-shift box. Even had a key you had to turn to start the engine! Out way before Ridge Racer

Regards,

Ian
Quote from S14 DRIFT : I'd dream of buying the arcade machine and
sticking it my garage. Gah, those were the days!!

eBay has the answer for about $5000... but that's just silly. http://cgi.ebay.com/FERRARI-F3 ... IMSfp=TL090109111010r1681

Quote from Ian.H :Nope.. the Hard Drivin' arcade machine had ~900 degrees (can't remember exactly how many, but the wheel turned a lot) and had both clutch and H-shift box. Even had a key you had to turn to start the engine! Out way before Ridge Racer

I vaguely remember having played that one at a crummy amusement park! Very vaguely.
I can't remember exactly when I began getting into racing games, but I think this list *should* be fairly accurate to my "racing career":
Games in italics are ones I still play to this day

before 1997:
Ridge Racer (PSone/PSX)
Daytona USA Deluxe (PC)
Test Drive 4 (PC)
Sega Touring Car Championship (PC)

1997:
Crash Team Racing (PSX)
Need For Speed II (PC) (12 cars on track at once rather than 8 in SE - loved it )

1998:
Gran Turismo (PSX)
Test Drive Le Mans (PSX)
Killer Loop (PSX)
Moto Racer (PC)

1999:
Gran Turismo 2 (PSX)
Wipeout 3 (PSX)
Moto Racer 2 (PC)

2000~now:
2000 - Ridge Racer Type 4 (PSX)
2001 - Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed (PC)
2002 - Fatal Racing / Whiplash (PC/DOS)
2003 - Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2)
2003 - Need For Speed Underground (PS2)
2003 - Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero (PS2)
2003 - Ridge Racer V (PS2)
2003 - Total Immersion Racing (PS2) (first time in multi-class racing)
2003 - 24 Hours Le Mans (PS2)
2004 - Need For Speed Underground 2 (PS2)
2004 - Live For Speed S1 (PC) (marks my simracing start)
2004 - Pro Race Driver (PS2)
2004 - GeneRally (PC)
2005 - Colin McRae Rally 04 (Xbox)
2005 - Forza Motorsport (Xbox)
2005 - Project Gotham Racing 2 (Xbox)
2005 - Live for Speed S2 (PC) (marks my interests in skinning)
2005 - Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 (PS2)
2006 - Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
2006 - TORCS (PC/Linux)
2007 - GTR2 (PC)
2007 - Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Drift 2 / Kaido Battle 3 (PS2)
2007 - Ridge Racer 7 (PS3)
2007 - Motorstorm (PS3)
2008 - Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: Spec II (PS3)
2008 - rFactor (PC)
2008 - eRacer (PC)
Pre pc games:
Pole Position (Atari 800)
Outrun (Atari ST - like a color Macintosh)
Super Hangon (Atari ST)

PC non-sim:
Stunts (same people that made the first NFS)
Need For Speed 2 through Undercover, got NFS SE last year
Toca Race Driver 2 and 3

PC little known non-sim games:
Corvette Racing
Ford Racing 2, 3, and Street Racing
Mercedes Benz World Racing, World Racing 2

PC sim:
Grand Prix Legends
EA F1 Challenge 99-02
Nascar Racing Season 2003
Live For Speed
rFactor
GTR, GTR2, GTLegends, GTR Evolution
Quote from Ian.H :Nope.. the Hard Drivin' arcade machine

I hated that game, for some reason the suspensions always felt exceedingly soft to me, like a 2CV
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Omg I remember the F355 challenge. I'd go bowling JUST to play on it. I'd use all three pedals and H-shifter when I was like 11. Hah, those were the days. I'd dream of buying the arcade machine and sticking it my garage. Gah, those were the days!!

Yeah me too, I used to play that always when I had a change, that was usually in cruise ship's arcade.
And then later I had that on PS2 too.
Newman Haas Racing
V-Rally 2
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Gran Turismo Concept 2002-Tokyo Geneva
Colin McRae Rally
LFS
rFactor
Motorstorm
TDU
Race 07 (+GTR Evo)
GTR
GT Legends
GTR 2
Test Drive Unlimited

In no particular order.
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Top Gear (SNES)
F-Zero (SNES)
Super Mario Kart 64
Wipeout 64
TOCA 2
Sports Car GT
NFS Porsche
NFS Hot Pursuit 2
LFS
Oh yeah, forgot about the nfs games (2,3,4,porshe(5),hpII(6),U,UII,MW,Carbon,PS)
And ofc toca 1 and 2
and toca (dtm) race driver 1,2,3
F1 Fia world championship ( something like that ) First formula 1 game on PSX
and also was first game i ever played
Gran Turismo 1-4
Toca Race Driver 1
Colin McRae rally games (1-4)
Tommi Mäkinen rally
Crash Team Racing (one of my favorites)
Moto Racer (1-2)
Need For Speed 1 and 2, then the series turned crap
LFS ^^
Few other racing games whos name i dont remember

ill edit the post here when i remember more games
Quote from EliteAti :F1 Fia world championship ( something like that ) First formula 1 game on PSX
and also was first game i ever played
Gran Turismo 1-4
Toca Race Driver 1
Colin McRae rally games (1-4)
Tommi Mäkinen rally
Crash Team Racing (one of my favorites)
Moto Racer (1-2)
Need For Speed 1 and 2, then the series turned crap
LFS ^^
Few other racing games whos name i dont remember

ill edit the post here when i remember more games

you talking bout underground dont you?
becaue nfs 3 was great.
Grand Prix:
Atari 2600
My first racing game and i did not like it very much.

Stunts:
Played on my Pentium 75 Mhz
Spend ages making the "perfect" track.

Outrun
Sega Megadrive
I can dream the soundtracks!

Stunt Race FX
Super Nintendo

Carmageddon:
Upgraded my Pentium 90 to a 200 Mhz for this game

Destruction Derby
PSX

Gran Turismo
PSX
Great memories, i loved it !

And many, many, many and many more!
Attached images
carmageddon.jpg
grand_prix.png
Gran-turismo-PSX.jpg
outrun-01.jpg
stuntracefx01.jpg
stunts1.gif
6350-destruction-derby-7.jpg
Wooo i cant even remember the DOS games but after those days:
Viper racing
NFS1,2,3,4,5,u,u2,than stopped playing nfs....
Driver(1! the best game ever )
Screamer 4x4
toca 1 and 2
STCC 1,2
Destruction dery on ps2
Few more driver games
Colin 1,2
RBR(best rally game)
Jowood rally trophy
LFS
gtr2
GTL