The online racing simulator
Small fixes to improve realism, a wishlist
Things which I feel are wrong in LFS and bug me. This list is mostly about small things that I imagine could be fixed without major alterations to the code. It is also more about removing or tweaking existing things, rather than adding new features.

AFAICT none of the following is present in the SI log by Hyperactive as of now.

Transmission Simulation
  • Fake sequential (the sequential driving help on gated shifters) is too good and needs to be tweaked, despite being a driving help it makes people faster for no good reason, and as such is every bit as bad as keyboard stabilized was once (when it used to catch slides for you better than a person could ever hope to); similarly, fake sequential on gated shifters is able to shift as fast as a true sequential and usually better than a person with a shifter, also without any risks of misshifts. So:
    • Shift speed should be toned down, so the fake sequential becomes slower than an average driver, thereby introducing an incentive to use a real shifter in hotlaps and online races.
    • The risk of random misshifts could be introduced, to enhance realism.
  • Button clutch exploit. At the moment it's possible to gain an unfair advantage by exploiting the button clutch, a possible solution is:
    • Make the button clutch slower than a proper analog clutch pedal and fake sequential. This will constitute an incentive to learn to use an analog clutch properly and promptly get rid of all the cheating.
  • Clutch heats up too quickly on road cars. IRL one can keep a car stationary against a slight slope, by playing with the clutch and applying a little gas. An unexperienced driver will often perform the maneuver revving as high as 2000-2500 RPM, without any short-term effects on the clutch. In LFS this would probably induce a noticeable slipping under power.
  • The Gear Indicator on road cars is unrealistic, but also useful for those users who don't drive with a gated shifter. Two ideas here:
    • Enable the gear display in road cars only when transmission is set to manual-in-seq or auto mode.
    • Add an option to enable/disable it manually.
Engine Simulation
  • Revs should drop much quicker than now, when throttle is closed - I suppose this also could be affecting engine brake to a degree.
  • Engine should stop more or less instantly when ignition is turned off: instead it takes quite some time (seconds?) to go from idle to zero.
  • The engine on most cars should not be able to rev as low as 100-200 RPM and then come back without stalling.
#2 - Riel
For engine drop, my real-life engines take 3 seconds to drop from 7000 at ignition cut.

An engine gets started by starter at around 80 rpm. So it shouldn't stall at 200
Quote from Riel :An engine gets started by starter at around 80 rpm. So it shouldn't stall at 200

The world is choke full of things that shouldn't do things we don't expect, but frankly, a petrol car revving happily a long at 200 RPM is not one of them.

I'm certainly not Gordon Murray, but I've seen and driven a few cars and none of them could do that.

Since you appear to believe otherwise, I'd kindly invite you to post proof of what you're saying.
Quote from NightShift :Misshifts are impossible, so it should either include the random chance of misshifts or the shifts should be tuned to be slower

Mis-shifts are very possible, I happen to do it occasionally and it sucks when it happens. Buy an H-gate shifter and you can get that level of realism. As far as mis-shifting on a sequential, why does that need to be simulated?
Quote from blackbird04217 :Mis-shifts are very possible

That bit is under manual-in-seq mode, the driving help, aka when a car with a gated shifter is driven in sequential mode.

Quote from blackbird04217 :As far as mis-shifting on a sequential, why does that need to be simulated?

Because shifts on a manual in sequential mode are too fast. They are as quick as a true sequential, which does not make any sense.

If manual-in-seq mode is an ambiguous definition can you suggest a better one please?
Quote from NightShift :
Engine Simulation
  • Revs should drop much quicker than now, when throttle is closed - I suppose this also could be affecting engine brake to a degree.
  • Engine should stop more or less instantly when ignition is turned off: instead it takes quite some time (seconds?) to go from idle to zero.
  • The engine on most cars should not be able to rev as low as 100-200 RPM and then come back without stalling.

I agree with this entire section, although the time in which the engine turns off doesn't really need to be changed. How often do you turn off your engine in a race? As to the stall speed, I've been able to drive a car(ingame) at very low rpms, But they seem to be extremly underpowered at those rpms. I hope you uderstand what I mean.
Quote from imadude10 :I agree with this entire section.

I dont agree at all with this section.

Have any of you ever driven a real car? Sure most cars wont be able to recover from 200 rpms but some will. And being in that situation is so unlikely most people will not ever notice it.

As for the manual-seq shifting I VERY often mis shift, I find it MUCH easier actually to mis-shift with the seq and button clutch. Also if you shift properly without flatshifting it will take very near the same amount of time as an H-shifter.

The clutch is not a problem in LFS as far as I can tell. The problem lies with the controller. A Force Feedback clutch is absolutely required to compare the LFS clutch to a real life clutch.

The gear indicator... Really? Is it that big of a deal for you to ignore it? Better yet why dont you buy everyone that plays LFS an H-shifter. There problem solved the Dev's will be able to get rid of it.

All of these have been suggested before. Except maybe the engine simulation part which is very strange because I have never had the Rev's drop Instantly to 0 upon turning off a car Even from idle. Possibly happens with digital tachometers?
Quote from AjRose :I dont agree at all with this section.

Have any of you ever driven a real car? Sure most cars wont be able to recover from 200 rpms but some will. And being in that situation is so unlikely most people will not ever notice it.

I am quite sure I drive myself in my truck almost everyday. It has a 5-Speed manual gearbox. I can drive as low as 150 rpms before it actually cuts out. Albeit it is a very VERY rough and uncomfortable ride. This can actually be seen in LFS is you get going in a higher gear at about 500 rpms and floor it, the camera will shake as each piston fires. I just think, as has been said before many times, that the engines need reworking. I don't know how to put this into words, but it feels the engines need more mass... There is little to no engine braking in any cars unless you dramatically downshift near or past the redline. Perhaps all the cars are equipped with lightweight flywheels.

Bryan
Quote from imadude10 :I am quite sure I drive myself in my truck almost everyday. It has a 5-Speed manual gearbox. I can drive as low as 150 rpms before it actually cuts out. Albeit it is a very VERY rough and uncomfortable ride. This can actually be seen in LFS is you get going in a higher gear at about 500 rpms and floor it, the camera will shake as each piston fires. I just think, as has been said before many times, that the engines need reworking. I don't know how to put this into words, but it feels the engines need more mass... There is little to no engine braking in any cars unless you dramatically downshift near or past the redline. Perhaps all the cars are equipped with lightweight flywheels.

Bryan

Again, It's impossible to feel the forces through a computer screen. Also you have it backwards. A lighter weight flywheel will slow a car/engine much quicker than a heavier one.

To compare you "could" grab a video camera get in your car get to about 60mph and let off the gas. Then compare the video with the same scenario In LFS. I am sure there will be a difference.. Much smaller though than I feel you are expecting.
#10 - Riel
Quote from NightShift :The world is choke full of things that shouldn't do things we don't expect, but frankly, a petrol car revving happily a long at 200 RPM is not one of them.

I'm certainly not Gordon Murray, but I've seen and driven a few cars and none of them could do that.

Since you appear to believe otherwise, I'd kindly invite you to post proof of what you're saying.

I didn't say it will stay turning at that level, I just mean to say that it will pick up again to 800+ rpm.

It can be pushed down to 80 and still pick up. Don't keep it at 80 it'll stall ofcourse.

That is what I mean I have a graph somewhere from my lessons with minimum engine-revvs related to air temperature, that is where I get this from.
Do race-tuned cars stall at higher revs than regular road cars? Since they're tuned to run at higher-than-standard RPM as it is, I'd certainly have thought so. Which means he has a point.
#12 - Riel
True. Maybe they pick up at 160. Still, if the engine/flywheel is still going round, it wil not drop dead without external force.

Exept formula 1 cars
Quote from Riel :For engine drop, my real-life engines take 3 seconds to drop from 7000 at ignition cut.

An engine gets started by starter at around 80 rpm. So it shouldn't stall at 200

It's ok, he has some wierd facination with engines stalling

Nightshift : Good points but most of them have been suggested before and are almost certainly being worked on. But these are not major problems and should be prioritized over new content and other major updates.
Quote from AjRose :Also if you shift properly without flatshifting it will take very near the same amount of time as an H-shifter.

You're missing the point. The button clutch is a known cheat which is commonly used by some people to gain an unfair speed advantage. As things stand today, the fastest way to shift is use the button clutch cheat, followed by sequential mode, and last is the manual.

So the button clutch cheat should be eliminated because it is an overcomplicated and unrealistic way to seize an advantage over other drivers. And the driving help should be tamed as it shifts way too fast to be a driving help. It's just a shortcut to lower laptimes which has no place in LFS, a simulator that strives to achieve as much realism as possible.

Quote from AjRose :Sure most cars wont be able to recover from 200 rpms but some will. And being in that situation is so unlikely most people will not ever notice it.

Engines with heavy flywheels would be able to recover. But that is definitely something you don't want to have on any car which you race with, as is the case for most road cars and race cars in LFS.

Back to the point, what happens in LFS is that in some spins you're able to avoid a stall even if you're slow on the clutch. I mean in cars like the XFG which is certainly not high displacement.

From a race perspective, this means you lose less time on a spin than you should. It may be a minor point, but it still is one nonetheless.

^ Riel this one is a reply to you too.

Quote from AjRose :The gear indicator... Really? Is it that big of a deal for you to ignore it? Better yet why dont you buy everyone that plays LFS an H-shifter. There problem solved the Dev's will be able to get rid of it.

What you're saying here is there's no need for improvements because it's not a big deal to ignore the flaws in LFS. This is an improvement suggestions board, so it'd be kind of pointless to suggest not to make suggestions, am I wrong?

As for getting a shifter, if I was able to buy one than anyone can, unless they come from a country whose exchange rate is severely impaired.

It isn's some distinguished, luxurious mark used by rich people to recognize their peers. They are very affordable now and the main reason why some people can't be bothered to get one is simply because there's no speed to be gained from that.

Relying on a too-good-to-be-true driving help is much more comfortable than having to operate your own shifter.

Quote from AjRose :I have never had the Rev's drop Instantly to 0 upon turning off a car Even from idle.

In LFS the engine takes too much time to reach 0, much more than needed IRL. That was what I was trying to say and I'll see if I can change the OP to make this more clear.

Quote from imadude10 :I just think, as has been said before many times, that the engines need reworking.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Good points but most of them have been suggested before and are almost certainly being worked on. But these are not major problems and should be prioritized over new content and other major updates.

Quote from AjRose :All of these have been suggested before.

Nothing that I wrote here was in Hyperactive's log and to search for all of those point would have required a lot of time.

If you like this better, think of this thread like a collection of suggestions that have already made before, but now they're all in the same place, so it has a value albeit it may seem small to you.

Besides, small fixes shouldn't be pushed forward unless there's a good reason for that, e.g. if it would mean fix something that would need to be rewritten anyway in a very short time.

New content is probably not going to come until S3 and all that bonus content which we received (or are hoping to receive), is just that: bonus content, we should be thankful for what we've got - but not expect more as all of those extras came for unplanned things that happened along the way (like V1 challenge, the VW deal etc)

Besides, one could use the 'content/major things' argument to counter all the suggestions for improvements, because they will either be minor and as such infinitely delayable, or too big and as such just too much to ask.
Quote from NightShift :You're missing the point. The button clutch is a known cheat which is commonly used by some people to gain an unfair speed advantage. As things stand today, the fastest way to shift is use the button clutch cheat, followed by sequential mode, and last is the manual.

So the button clutch cheat should be eliminated because it is an overcomplicated and unrealistic way to seize an advantage over other drivers. And the driving help should be tamed as it shifts way too fast to be a driving help. It's just a shortcut to lower laptimes which has no place in LFS, a simulator that strives to achieve as much realism as possible.

How do you suggest this is fixed then? Afaik there is no way to fix this* short of eliminating the button clutch which is impossible..

*Maybe some sort of detection system that will kick/ban people automatically?

Some people are only in it to win. And will do anything to do that even if it means cheating. I have no respect for people that cheat. The dev's have to compromise between a slight advantage for cheaters and possibly losing a lot of their users.

Quote :Engines with heavy flywheels would be able to recover. But that is definitely something you don't want to have on any car which you race with, as is the case for most road cars and race cars in LFS.

Back to the point, what happens in LFS is that in some spins you're able to avoid a stall even if you're slow on the clutch. I mean in cars like the XFG which is certainly not high displacement.

By that you mean a heavy flywheel or recovering from a stall? I'm not quite sure from how you worded it.

If you did mean a heavier flywheel..

Then I don't think that is a valid argument. The road cars in LFS *should* have heavier flywheels AS road cars in real life do. That's obviously not ideal for racing but most people don't race their road cars.

Quote :From a race perspective, this means you lose less time on a spin than you should. It may be a minor point, but it still is one nonetheless.

But this is an advantage everyone has. So really It's no advantage at all. not to mention many people use auto clutch(I hate it!) So they have 0 risk of stalling at all.

Quote :What you're saying here is there's no need for improvements because it's not a big deal to ignore the flaws in LFS. This is an improvement suggestions board, so it'd be kind of pointless to suggest not to make suggestions, am I wrong?

You are not wrong. NEW Ideas are wonderful. I'm not suggesting you don't make suggestions. But you should make some new suggestions. I'm also saying *now* that you should have your priorities in order. There are many things that should be fixed before I would even consider worrying about a gear indicator(which has already been suggested.)

Quote :As for getting a shifter, if I was able to buy one than anyone can, unless they come from a country whose exchange rate is severely impaired.

I'm sure a lot of people on this forum have the money to buy a shifter/clutch. I bet a lot of people don't have the money too. you have to remember there are a lot of young kids on this forum. Not to mention the state of the economy in some areas..

Quote :They are very affordable now and the main reason why some people can't be bothered to get one is simply because there's no speed to be gained from that.

Well that is going to have to be part of the game then. Until LFS only supports manual clutches(Not going to happen). There has to be some compromise. LFS cannot be an ultimately realistic driving simulator. Many people that play LFS have no desire to have an extremely realistic experience. Some people are just in it for the fun. And the Dev's know this they would be cutting into their profits (our patches, future content etc.)

Quote :In LFS the engine takes too much time to reach 0, much more than needed IRL. That was what I was trying to say and I'll see if I can change the OP to make this more clear.

how many cars have you driven? Have you timed every single one? I know I can say that there is *Hardly* a noticeable difference between the time it takes for the revs in my car to drop to 0 as a LFS car does.

Quote :Small fixes shouldn't be pushed forward unless there's a good reason for that, e.g. if it would mean fix something that would need to be rewritten anyway in a very short time.

New content is probably not going to come until S3 and all that bonus content which we received (or are hoping to receive), is just that: bonus content, we should be thankful for what we've got - but not expect more as all of those extras came for unplanned things that happened along the way (like V1 challenge, the VW deal etc)

I am very thankfull for all that we have in LFS. I think the DEV's are doing an excellent job. I can't say that new content will come out before S3 because I don't know. I'm also not sure that it would be "bonus" content as I would expect the DEV's to raise the cost from S2 to S3.

Quote :Besides, one could use the 'content/major things' argument to counter all the suggestions for improvements, because they will either be minor and as such infinitely delayable, or too big and as such just too much to ask.

New content is the worst argument for not fixing things that should be/ need to be improved.

None of the improvements you have suggested (In my opinion) are going to improve the game. In fact they are suggestions most people would not notice.
Dear AjRose,

I see what you're trying to do. Let me sum this up, you are:

1) basically saying my suggestions are crap because you don't value realism that highly.

Guess what? I do, that's the only reason I'm into LFS. The choice of a title for the thread might have been a giveaway, I know, but can't help it

The button clutch cheat and issues with fake sequential are Evil and go against the trend that LFS has displayed over the years, i.e. increasing realism by removing or toning down those driving helps which are too good. It happened with auto-blip, it happened with keyboard stabilised.

2) trying to persuade a fully grown up euro guy (me) that he doesn't know how euro cars are supposed to work.

Seriously, I've been driving cars with manuals already when you were still in kindergarten, do you really think I'm going to trust your posts over my own experience? :nol2:

3) trying to make me feel guilty for having a shifter (?!)

This is the icing on the cake
Quote from NightShift :Dear AjRose,

I see what you're trying to do. Let me sum this up, you are:

1) basically saying my suggestions are crap because you don't value realism that highly.

Guess what? I do, that's the only reason I'm into LFS. The choice of a title for the thread might have been a giveaway, I know, but can't help it

I value realism above all else in LFS. I just know how a business works and you have to make certain concessions to continue to make money.

Quote :The button clutch cheat and issues with fake sequential are Evil and go against the trend that LFS has displayed over the years, i.e. increasing realism by removing or toning down those driving helps which are too good. It happened with auto-blip, it happened with keyboard stabilised.

I absolutely agree with this. But there are bigger [b[]problems[/b] that need to be addressed first. Note that I said problems and not content.

Quote :2) trying to persuade a fully grown up euro guy (me) that he doesn't know how euro cars are supposed to work.

So now its because I was born in the USA? For a fully grown "euro guy" you seem to be very immature.

Quote :Seriously, I've been driving cars with manuals already when you were still in kindergarten, do you really think I'm going to trust your posts over my own experience?

3) trying to make me feel guilty for having a shifter (?!)

This is the icing on the cake

I not trying to make you feel quilty for anything. I'm saying you CHOOSE to use a wheel. You do not have to use it. The DEV's are obviously not going to make this the Ultra-realistic game you are hoping it will become.

This will be my last post in this thread because You are obviously not going to see my side of the argument. I don't care if you don't agree with it but you are completely blind to it.

Good day.
The only thing I have any input on is engine braking, I noticed it's not very strong on alot of the cars. however, there are variables at play that would determine how strong the engine braking is.

I don't know all of these variables, so I don't know how strong the engine braking should be.

Engine braking comes from one main force, vacuum. Some people say its compression but thats because the term compression braking is misleading. Compression braking is actualy quite the opposite, it should be called vacuum braking.

Compression acts as a spring and will NOT slow down a car, thats why diesel engines are fitted with special equipment, they can not engine brake on thier own. A diesel engine requires a compression release brake because the compression will spring back and return most of the energy it took, not to mention the fact that the engine is still running and defeating compression anyway.

Compression, or De-compression braking is the effect of manifold vacuum on the speed of an engine. When the throttle closses and the engine is at a high RPM the speed of the engine is going to instantly want to return to idle, the engine basicaly becomes a pump, it has to suck as much air through the idle port on the throttle plate as it can. Since the idle port is only big enough to allow enough air through for the engine to idle it will build up alot of vacuum in the intake. This vacuum will act on the piston faces as the engine turns, slowing it down very quickly.

Now there is one majour factor that plays a big roll in the actual braking force generated by the vacuum, piston shape. This is the variable that I don't know in LFS.

The braking force will not always go up when displacement does, but the Bore:Stroke ratio will always effect braking.

Take a 1L engine as an example, the same displacement with larger pistons and a shorter stroke will generate more engine braking than an engine with a longer stroke and smaller pistons, even though they are the same displacement. This is because the vacuum has more surface area to act on. Engine braking happens on the Intake stroke, not the compression stroke.

As it stands I don't know how in depth the engine simulation in LFS is, its possible engine braking is just a variable and currently has nothing to do with physics, if this is so, I think the engine simulation needs some work.
Quote from NightShift :Things which I feel are wrong in LFS and bug me. This list is mostly about small things that I imagine could be fixed without major alterations to the code. It is also more about removing or tweaking existing things, rather than adding new features.

AFAICT none of the following is present in the SI log by Hyperactive as of now.

Transmission Simulation
  • Fake sequential (the sequential driving help on gated shifters) is too good and needs to be tweaked, despite being a driving help it makes people faster for no good reason, and as such is every bit as bad as keyboard stabilized was once (when it used to catch slides for you better than a person could ever hope to); similarly, fake sequential on gated shifters is able to shift as fast as a true sequential and usually better than a person with a shifter, also without any risks of misshifts. So:
    • Shift speed should be toned down, so the fake sequential becomes slower than an average driver, thereby introducing an incentive to use a real shifter in hotlaps and online races.
    • The risk of random misshifts could be introduced, to enhance realism.
  • Button clutch exploit. At the moment it's possible to gain an unfair advantage by exploiting the button clutch, a possible solution is:
    • Make the button clutch slower than a proper analog clutch pedal and fake sequential. This will constitute an incentive to learn to use an analog clutch properly and promptly get rid of all the cheating.
  • Clutch heats up too quickly on road cars. IRL one can keep a car stationary against a slight slope, by playing with the clutch and applying a little gas. An unexperienced driver will often perform the maneuver revving as high as 2000-2500 RPM, without any short-term effects on the clutch. In LFS this would probably induce a noticeable slipping under power.
  • The Gear Indicator on road cars is unrealistic, but also useful for those users who don't drive with a gated shifter. Two ideas here:
    • Enable the gear display in road cars only when transmission is set to manual-in-seq or auto mode.
    • Add an option to enable/disable it manually.
Engine Simulation

The thing i marked red i say thanks as DFP user my only option is button clutch.......
This goes againt players as myself who use whell with no clutch pedal and have no other option becaus we have extremely smal amount of money
Quote from Chrisuu01 :The thing i marked red i say thanks as DFP user my only option is button clutch.......

Ehh...no.
Or use auto clutch like everyone else.
In a previous post you wrote:

Quote from AjRose :The dev's have to compromise between a slight advantage for cheaters and possibly losing a lot of their users.

What you would be compromising here is realism, hence my remark.

While we are back on this point, slowing down the driving helps would not make the users flee: there are a lot of G25s out there, but they're only being used as a souped up DFPs. This was quite evident in one recent poll about the choice of device.

In the most unlikely case that my suggestions were to be picked up, those users would either feel the need to 'upgrade' their driving habits or accept the fact their laptimes would not be as good as they were.

Quote from AjRose :So now its because I was born in the USA? For a fully grown "euro guy" you seem to be very immature.

My point was that most road cars in LFS are european ones so I happen to have driven at least a couple of the real life cars after which the ones in LFS are modeled

Quote from Chrisuu01 :This goes againt players as myself who use whell with no clutch pedal and have no other option becaus we have extremely smal amount of money

And some, despite having the money, must take the dreaded WAF into account but anyway...

TBH I can't see why anyone not willing to get a G25 (or comparable wheel) or use it fully should be rewarded with better laptimes
Quote from NightShift :

Actually the manual clutch (real pedal/ analog axis) is the fastest method of changing gears at the moment. It is just far more dificult to achieve consistent and good results in race conditions.

Also if the auto clutch is actually fixed at some point it will not be at a disadvantage to any of the other methods of clutching (at the moment it is actually as fast as other methods but operates in an incorrect way http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=46146).

I do agree though that there should be slightly more advantage given to a pedal clutch in the way of slowing down the autoclutch and button clutch speeds abit more, to encourage its usage
What I found out from analyzing a bunch of RAF files in LRA is the AutoClutch performs at 0.21s for each shift, for an average gain of ~0.07s over a clutch. As a comparison, the off-throttle time for the FBM is around the same.

I didn't test specifically for the button clutch as I've never bothered to cook the script up.

The difference is explained mainly by the impulsive nature of the 'attack' but the 'sustain' phase is shorter as well (no need to wait for the stick to move).

FWIW I remember quite clearly that some reputable users stated they could match the AutoClutch but at some cost, i.e. not being able to keep that pace for more than some time. (I'll try and see if I can dig the posts up)

This makes sense to me because the clutch time is not just a matter of pressing and releasing a pedal as fast as possible but also synchronizing the stick movement with the pedal, so the chance of a misshift greatly increases.
Attached images
ac_vs_c.png
NightShift, you DO know that Japan isn't part of Europe, do you?

Furthermore you say you've been driving manuals for ages. Well, then your manual shifting in LFS should be faster than the automated. I totally agree with Glenn here: real manual shifting IS faster. Automated shift shouldn't be slowed down just because some G25-realism-junkies can't shift fast enough. It's pretty much like real life: manuals CAN be shifted faster than lame tip-tronic, but most of them aren't because of the drivers.

Anyway, I don't wanna bash you but just wanted to express where I disagree first. Actually I'm not totally happy with the current tranny behavior either. I really think the whole manual shifting should be slowed down a bit. I've never driven a manual where shifting this fast was possible without tearing the gearbox apart. I wouldn't know how to fix this, but it definitely is far from (I put it cautiously) what I experience in RL.

So this leads me to experience and perception of RL and thus to engine braking, stalling, shutting down and even gear-indicator.

Engine braking is VERY different from car to car. Modern cars are even designed to brake less for more fuel economy. But yes, I wouldn't mind the bigger engines in LFS braking a bit more.

Stalling: No real clue. IRL I never drop the revs this low on purpose. And the way it is in LFS now doesn't bother me for more or less the same reason. If it's changed to what you think is real - no problem.

Shutting down. Quite the same as as engine braking. Probably even because of the same reason. I guess race optimized engines would shut down faster than your production car though. Don't they in LFS? I don't know really... guess why.

Gear indicator. Ok, I do NOT have an indicator in my RL production car. But imagine going from 3rd to 4th instead of 2nd. You would notice this mistake in a fraction of a second. In LFS it'd be different without the indicator because you would depend on only the engine sound. Not before this a glance to the rev-counter would confirm your suspicion: you're in the wrong gear.
Seconds have passed.

Most if not all the improvements you suggested depend a lot on how you perceive real life, and therefore it's hard to please you and every single one of us. It's impossible. A lot of people might think that by coding the right numbers (i.e. measured in RL or physical formulas) LFS will be perceived more and more realistic. I say that's not the case. But I don't want to elaborate on this here.
The thing is: it will always be a trade-off amongst "real, hard facts measured in real life", how we perceive these things in real life with ALL of our senses and how we perceive them on an office chair in front of a flatscreen, a pair of speakers and a FFB wheel.

Just one example as an illustration:
The auto-blip was removed. Yeah, that's realistic, you might say, because in RL you have to do it yourself too.
For me it decreased immersion and therefore perceived realism. Whereas heel-toe'ing in real life became so intuitive and easy for me as hitting a button to shift down in LFS, braking with my left foot and blipping the throttle with my right when the computer operates the clutch was totally alien. With time this procedure was picked up by muscle memory too, but seriously: it's not a bit closer to perceived reality. And most of all: it doesn't add ANYTHING but a hassle to the gameplay.

Wow, this was far too long.

But then again...
@S14 Drift: have a look at my signature.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG