The online racing simulator
is this engine a waste?
(69 posts, started )
Quote from Luke.S :i want this http://www.seriouswheels.com/p ... engine-study-1280x960.jpg W16 FTW 1001bhp ftw. Lfs needs a veyron and a 12 mile straight track.

How do 'W' engines work? I know they're like two 'V's but do they use two crankshafts side-by-side (as the name 'W' would imply) or are the 4 lines of cylinders arranged like a fan over a single crankshaft?(kind of like half a radial engine)?
Quote from Crashgate3 :How do 'W' engines work? I know they're like two 'V's but do they use two crankshafts side-by-side (as the name 'W' would imply) or are the 4 lines of cylinders arranged like a fan over a single crankshaft?(kind of like half a radial engine)?

the veyron engine is just 2 V8's next to eachother
In the USA, the main drag racing sanctioning body, NHRA, limits engine size to 500 cubic inch V8, with pushrods and 2 valves per cylinder for Pro Stock, Funny Car and Top Fuel classes. In the case of Pro Stock, these are "crate" motors built by Chrysler, Ford, and GM. For Funny and Top Fuel, the engines are custom built. All are similar to the Chrysler "hemi" 426 cubic inch engine, but not based on it. Again, note that this is by the rules. Pro Stock class is normally aspirated and 1/4 miles times are around 6.8. There are supercharged and turbocharged street looking type drag racers that are faster, but these run in different classes.

The less popular IHRA allows for the larger engines, up to 800 cubic engines, called "mountain motors".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Stock

In the Lemans series, normally aspirated gasoline engines up to 8.0 liters are allowed, smaller if there is forced induction (turbo charger for example).

Although the power per liter is lower with these bigger engines, the power per weight isn't. As an example, the 7.0 liter, normally aspirated, pushrod V8, 505 hp, engine in a Corvette Z06 is lighter than the 3.6 liter, turbo charged, flat six, 480hp / 520 hp in a Turbo Porsche 911 / GT2. In the case of the Z06, 505hp is the guaranteed minimum, most make around 520hp. I don't know if the GT2's power is similarly understated. The Z06 weighs about 3150 lbs, 200 less than the 3350 lbs of a Subaru WRX STI (however you could buy 2 STI's for the cost of the Z06, and 2 Z06's for the cost of the GT2 with money left over).
Quote from JeffR :(however you could buy 2 STI's for the cost of the Z06, and 2 Z06's for the cost of the GT2 with money left over).

Or one Z06 and two STIs?

Anyway, thanks for explaining the IHRA and NHRA rules. I never knew there were those limits on the displacement of an engine!
#31 - 5haz
Looks more like something that would go in a truck to me.

Or maybe it was just for fun, oh wait I forget that fun is now allowed nowadays lest we kill some Polar Bears.
Quote from PAracer :With smarts like that, you could be a cashier or something

You just made me spit orange juice all over my keyboard!

I'm in PA also. You know as well as I do, the smarts that Wheel4hummer displayed there would make him way over qualified for cashier around here. Around here, cashier's math nets you whatever you are buying, plus two $5's and a $10 in change from a $10 bill.
Quote from Becky Rose :A 9 litre engine is such a waste, I think we should move to alternative fuels and start saving the planet.

This is why I would like to use the 4016 TESI Gas Engine from Perkins. It's only a 61 litre V16, perfect for environmentaly conscious motoring.

The smaller 4012. Cant find piccy of the V16.

ok, you said we should save the planet with smaller engines, and then you recommend an engine almost twice the size of this. im confused
Quote from Crashgate3 :You want one of these:

18,200 litre straight-10 diesel.

(from a ship, obviously )

wow! thats a huge engine!
Quote from Bean0 :"The 14-cylinder Wärtsilä RT-flex96C engine is also the world’s most powerful engine with an output of 80,080 kW (108,920 bhp) at 102 rpm."

Got a poster of that one on the wall at work, not had any work from one (yet) though.

put that amount of horsepower in a car, and you can make the Earth go in reverse! like, completely change the rotation.
Quote from Crashgate3 :How do 'W' engines work? I know they're like two 'V's but do they use two crankshafts side-by-side (as the name 'W' would imply) or are the 4 lines of cylinders arranged like a fan over a single crankshaft?(kind of like half a radial engine)?

actually, they are two V8's, or any other V size, put together. but they are side by side, not put on the fronts of the engines. its kind of like this. im representing V's and the cylinders, and L's as the split between to show you both V8's together.

V V l V V
V V l V V
V V l V V
V V l V V

it is not the best, but i hope you know what i mean.
Quote from JeffR :In the USA, the main drag racing sanctioning body, NHRA, limits engine size to 500 cubic inch V8, with pushrods and 2 valves per cylinder for Pro Stock, Funny Car and Top Fuel classes. In the case of Pro Stock, these are "crate" motors built by Chrysler, Ford, and GM. For Funny and Top Fuel, the engines are custom built. All are similar to the Chrysler "hemi" 426 cubic inch engine, but not based on it. Again, note that this is by the rules. Pro Stock class is normally aspirated and 1/4 miles times are around 6.8. There are supercharged and turbocharged street looking type drag racers that are faster, but these run in different classes.

The less popular IHRA allows for the larger engines, up to 800 cubic engines, called "mountain motors".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Stock

In the Lemans series, normally aspirated gasoline engines up to 8.0 liters are allowed, smaller if there is forced induction (turbo charger for example).

Although the power per liter is lower with these bigger engines, the power per weight isn't. As an example, the 7.0 liter, normally aspirated, pushrod V8, 505 hp, engine in a Corvette Z06 is lighter than the 3.6 liter, turbo charged, flat six, 480hp / 520 hp in a Turbo Porsche 911 / GT2. In the case of the Z06, 505hp is the guaranteed minimum, most make around 520hp. I don't know if the GT2's power is similarly understated. The Z06 weighs about 3150 lbs, 200 less than the 3350 lbs of a Subaru WRX STI (however you could buy 2 STI's for the cost of the Z06, and 2 Z06's for the cost of the GT2 with money left over).

WOW! so much useful information! I learned some new stuff today. thank you for that. everyone should give a HUGE round of applause after that.
This forum has a multiquote feature, FYI. Click on the "+" sign on the bottom right of a post.
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :i think it's a waste because thats too much power, its probably very heavy, and why make your car have worse handling?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Do you seriously think people put a 572" Chevy BB in a car that's suppose to have handling like a glove on wheels?

EDIT: The Cuda does not have a 572" BB.
It's an old build from the 60's and uses the old fashion 426 Hemi.
That is a re-creation of the original Hemi Under Glass car which mysteriously disapeared if I don't remember it wrong.
Damn, I got to read that text about the car again

Anyhow, you suck and you gave me a good laugh LOL!
Quote from Bean0 :"The 14-cylinder Wärtsilä RT-flex96C engine is also the world’s most powerful engine with an output of 80,080 kW (108,920 bhp) at 102 rpm."

Can I fit one of those to my FXR please?
#42 - 5haz
I think Mclaren did do an M8F CAN-AM car with a 9litre engine once.
[Off-topic]

Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :ok, you said we should save the planet with smaller engines, and then you recommend an engine almost twice the size of this. im confused

You're hilarious. I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Matey, that is called sarcasm. 'We Europeans' like to use it. And please learn how to use multiple quotes instead of posting 6 times.

[/Off-topic]

That is one sweet V8 engine

I just read this comment on Ginho's video: "when my honda prelude hits vtec this piece o junk aint got no chance...". LOL
'55 Chevy with a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine

27 litre V12 It's the same engine that powered the Spitfire, although that actual one's probably from a Mustang (the plane I mean, not the car).

Watch him starting it up at about 1:32.
Quote from Tim_J_23 :HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Do you seriously think people put a 572" Chevy BB in a car that's suppose to have handling like a glove on wheels?

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Ultima GTR uses an engine that has suspiciously the same amount of power and pistons? And I believe that it handles like a glove since it's 5 seconds faster then a Ferrari Enzo around the Top Gear track.
Quote from BAMBO :Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Ultima GTR uses an engine that has suspiciously the same amount of power and pistons? And I believe that it handles like a glove since it's 5 seconds faster then a Ferrari Enzo around the Top Gear track.

yup the ultima GTR is amazing, it has a twin turbo V8
9l is small
you want the weineck cobra engine. 12.9L natural aspirated carburated 1000HP cobra.

and contrary to most others here, it looks like a car too

the W-engines use only one single camshaft. Quotw from wikipedia:
A W16 engine is a sixteen cylinder piston internal combustion engine in a W configuration. All W16 engines consist of four banks of four cylinders (two juxtaposed V8 engine blocks), coupled to a single crankshaft.
Attached images
Bugatti-Veyron-16-1024.jpg
Quote from george_tsiros :9l is small
you want the weineck cobra engine. 12.9L natural aspirated carburated 1000HP cobra.

and contrary to most others here, it looks like a car too

HOLY CRAP. That car looks like beast. And it looks SO sexy! i want one of those.
lol its stupid, it still says 427 on the side

is this engine a waste?
(69 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG