The online racing simulator
Running LFS on ASUS Eee PC
(23 posts, started )
After reading the "LFS with Linux" thread, I attempted to install LFS on my ASUS Eee PC subnotebook laptop (the ones that have the 7 inch screen and a 900 mhz processor and run Linux Xandros) I was able to install LFS on it with Wine, I however can not run LFS properly, I get a "Is LFS correctly Installed on a Hard Drive?" message meaning the program cannot write to the data folder. Anyone know what is the cause and why this is happening?
Attached images
desktop-EeePC3.jpg
too slow for running LFS afaik.

Had the same shit on my laptop.
I've seen someone on Youtube post a video of him running LFS on it, he was running Windows XP though. it looked quite smooth in my opinion.

Here is one of the videos i found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6aC1h0l9Ik
#4 - Jakg
Why not just install XP?

I've got a 701 (albeit with 2GB of RAM) and runs XP fine...
Quote from Zipppy :After reading the "LFS with Linux" thread, I attempted to install LFS on my ASUS Eee PC subnotebook laptop (the ones that have the 7 inch screen and a 900 mhz processor and run Linux Xandros) I was able to install LFS on it with Wine, I however can not run LFS properly, I get a "Is LFS correctly Installed on a Hard Drive?" message meaning the program cannot write to the data folder. Anyone know what is the cause and why this is happening?

I dont know alot about wine or linux, but the size of your lfs directory is somewhat concerning, as my lfs folder is 659mb in size. I can't see how an lfs folder that is only 1.88mb in size could ever work as the game files are simply so much bigger. There is every chance im way off the mark but i just thought i would mention it.
make sure wine starts lfs with full rwx rights to all subfolders
Quote from danthebangerboy :I dont know alot about wine or linux, but the size of your lfs directory is somewhat concerning, as my lfs folder is 659mb in size. I can't see how an lfs folder that is only 1.88mb in size could ever work as the game files are simply so much bigger. There is every chance im way off the mark but i just thought i would mention it.

I have installed all of the files, totalling 435 mb on disk.

EDIT: Shotglass, could you explain how the rwx rights work? I searched the internet, I can not quite get it.
#8 - !RAM!
I've played it on a Eee PC before i think it had XP. It was my Brother in laws.
The FPS were around 15-25 on lowest graphics.
It was still alright to run over internet and yah
#9 - Opazz
Just open your terminal and write:

"cd (directory of your lfs folder)" can easily be found by drag and drop the LFS.exe inside the terminal and just remove the LFS.exe part and then press enter.
Then write "wine LFS.exe"

Atleast that's what i had to do on my Open Suse box, hope that helps
I tried that, Opazz, Doesn't seem to work. I tried "cd-ing" to the location, no luck. Thanks for trying though.

I installed Wine by reading this Wiki: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:wine I am aware that I may have to install some packages later on.
The only think i can think of then is try runing it as ROOT by typing "su root" and then try again as last time.
And you are sure that your LFS folder was cd-ed right? so it's like '/home/username/desktop/LFS' if you put the folder on the desktop?
Hope that works though.
That solved the problem, I guess bashor is right, my Eee PC is too slow to run it well. I am using an old Intel Celeron processor in mine. I know the newer ones use Atom which might improve FPS.
Hi, sorry for the _kinda_ hijack... Tried on the eeeuser forum, to no avail I'm trying to run LFS on my eee too, it's a 901 w/ Ubuntu Hardy Heron. It runs just fine with Wine, except the FPS don't get better than 3, whatever the settings, and the sound stutters. I wonder whether I should install DirectX or something, but I'd like to avoid any unnecessary soiling of my computer.
The EeePC is simply lacks the power to run LfS properly. Nothing you can do about it.
There are several demos proving otherwise, as you can see in this very thread. It works fine on a eee 701 running XP, ergo the 901 through Wine should be faster, the 901's brawn compensating for eventual Wine-related losses. I'm not asking for full detail 4096x2048 @ 600 FPS, mind you. LFS is one of the least resource-intensive games, the eee is way above minimum requirements, so please don't diss it

Looks like I'll be forced to try to install the dreaded DirectX
I don't think it will make LfS run much better if you install Direct X. The Eee just doesn't pack enough punch to run LfS via Wine (which seriously hampers frame rates on fast machines).

Unless you install WinXP/Win7 I doubt you'll get it even remotely playable.
Won't happen, then. Don't forget Wine is sometimes faster than Windows, you never know.
#19 - Jakg
If by "sometimes" you mean "rarely".

The 901 has an Atom (whereas the 701 has the god-awful Celeron) but that paired with intel onboard graphics isn't gonna set the world on fire.
I just want to cook my little sausage
Quote from danthebangerboy :I dont know alot about wine or linux, but the size of your lfs directory is somewhat concerning, as my lfs folder is 659mb in size. I can't see how an lfs folder that is only 1.88mb in size could ever work as the game files are simply so much bigger. There is every chance im way off the mark but i just thought i would mention it.

Could be cause the .exe is selected, I'm sure thats 1.88mb.
True, it doesn't look selected but probably is.

I'd say the problem might stem from a corruption in the archive used for installation, so downloading again might help.

And you'll probably encounter my problem, then
Quote from Zipppy :After reading the "LFS with Linux" thread, I attempted to install LFS on my ASUS Eee PC subnotebook laptop (the ones that have the 7 inch screen and a 900 mhz processor and run Linux Xandros) I was able to install LFS on it with Wine, I however can not run LFS properly, I get a "Is LFS correctly Installed on a Hard Drive?" message meaning the program cannot write to the data folder. Anyone know what is the cause and why this is happening?

I only had that message when installing the Z-version, and it disappeared after I installed DirectX in WINE... Strange stuff. Still got the 1 FPS problem, though.

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG