The online racing simulator
Scirocco - Yawn
(251 posts, started )
Quote from chaa :I think the Scirocco won't help us. We need other new content, like tracks or bugfixes! But the Devs don't want any help in developing so LfS gets more and more boring! I guess the next patch will be released in a half year with things added, which no one needs!

That's a little harsh, but I know what you're getting at. I hope the devs will now prioritise improvements on the games weaknesses like collisions, damage, tracks, game structure etc. The range of cars was good prior to the FBM and VWS (and even BF1), and the development of these cars has delayed development of needed improvements significantly. By more than a year I'm guessing.

It's kinda like constantly being given new socks when what you need is shoes.
Quote from farcar :and the development of these cars has delayed development of needed improvements significantly. By more than a year I'm guessing.

What I want to know is, how people are privvy to internal going on's from the development process
Quote from danowat :What I want to know is, how people are privvy to internal going on's from the development process

I'm not, that's why I said 'I'm guessing'.
Read the whole post.

Edit - Scawen has said that the the Scirocco has delayed other developments. I was just guessing by how much.
I dont get it , the VW isnt even out yet and people are bitching about it already !! Wait until the 19th , drive the VW for a day or two , and if you dont like it , then bitch around !! I am very happy that we are getting a new car , and a real one , so we can compare to real life
Quote from W1ldPort75 :I dont get it , the VW isnt even out yet and people are bitching about it already !! Wait until the 19th , drive the VW for a day or two , and if you dont like it , then bitch around !! I am very happy that we are getting a new car , and a real one , so we can compare to real life

I hope there is a difference in your way of driving between LFS and the real world :eclipsee_:ambulance
Doesn't really help when you know how real cars can handle
Let's just wait and see. we could be in for a surprise.
Quote from southamptonfc :I have driven the vr6s on track and can assure you they are GTs NOT racing cars - and this IS a racing game.

Says who? Why is the XFG, or XRT for that matter, anymore of a racecar than the scirocco?
Quote from Zyrez :Says who? Why is the XFG, or XRT for that matter, anymore of a racecar than the scirocco?

Checkout www.lfs.net - look at the big logo at the top of the page.

You could imagine the XFG and XRT to be track cars, they have adjustable suspension and brakes (which don't fade on track) and don't pretend to be any real life road car. Also as amp88 says, there is already the FXO.

Tristan - good point, well made.
Quote from W1ldPort75 :I dont get it , the VW isnt even out yet and people are bitching about it already !! Wait until the 19th , drive the VW for a day or two , and if you dont like it , then bitch around !! I am very happy that we are getting a new car , and a real one , so we can compare to real life

I guess it all depends on the perspective in what you see things. The ones that are still happy with LFS and enjoying it, will see it in a positive way, and the ones that are unhappy and bored with LFS will see it in a more negative way. Maybe none of this two perspectives is wrong, and there´s wright reasons in both. Since I prefer to be positive, let me name some of the reasons why the inclusion of the Scirocco (and also the FBM) are good to LFS:

- these kind of deals represent a recognition of LFS and can lead to other deals that can bring new content to LFS
- the introdution of real cars is something that of lot of people has been asking, and can lead to a greater exposure of LFS, wich could mean more sales. Besides that, there´s a lot of people that never bought LFS and prefered other sims because of the lack of "real" content
- the information received by the devs, in the development of these cars can be helpful in the future changes and additions to LFS, and would problably be much harder to get without them
- there´s been a great improvement in the quality of the models in LFS, wich was something that a lot of people complained about, specialy comparing to other sims. Let´s just hope that this kind of improvements can be extended, in the near future, to the other models
Quote from southamptonfc :Checkout www.lfs.net - look at the big logo at the top of the page.

You could imagine the XFG and XRT to be track cars, they have adjustable suspension and brakes (which don't fade on track) and don't pretend to be any real life road car. Also as amp88 says, there is already the FXO.

Tristan - good point, well made.

Racing game, yes.. in racecars, no. Thats what i meant. If you can imagine the XFG as a trackcar with udjustable suspension, why cant you imagine it on the scirocco then? I dont get why the body, badge, or idea behind the car makes it any less cabeble of being a trackcar. It have all the adjustable settings as the rest, so the only difference i see from XFG, FXO etc, is the design. Why dont you flame the XFG for not being enough of a racecar either then?

And the other roadcars in lfs doesnt pretend to be real life roadcars? If you ask me they do indeed. Isnt that the point of a simulator? In the latests patches we havnt got else than updates on the roadcars making them even more real life roadcars. New interior and latests ABS. This is just the next step: Real life design.

edit: Ps. And yes, you havnt even tried it yet. You could get surprised
The LFS VW vid on youtube has already hit 27,000 and featured on page 1 for cars and vehicles. So in terms of promotion it has been very good for LFS and that means more racers in LFS.

I can't see how anyone can complain. LFS has a decent range of cars anyway, and this is something new to the mix
I'm starting to think that LFS needs to be renamed to Live for bitch or Bitch for speed; something along those lines.

As Tristan said, and it's something I've argued for a long time:
It doesn't matter what the car is or how it handles, it's about how rewarding it is in an online race.

Historically in LFS, the slower the car, the closer the races. Close races mean loads of fun to me and a vast majority of people.
Frankly, I'm sick and tired of GTR and SS "hotlappers" on pub servers.
I miss the early days of MRT madness, LX6 insanity and UF1 bumper to bumper 20+ lap races.

That's what made me fall in love with LFS in the first place.
LFS is a good name. Just needs a LX500 (Caterham R500)
Quote from Zyrez :Racing game, yes.. in racecars, no. Thats what i meant. If you can imagine the XFG as a trackcar with udjustable suspension, why cant you imagine it on the scirocco then? I dont get why the body, badge, or idea behind the car makes it any less cabeble of being a trackcar. It have all the adjustable settings as the rest, so the only difference i see from XFG, FXO etc, is the design. Why dont you flame the XFG for not being enough of a racecar either then?

And the other roadcars in lfs doesnt pretend to be real life roadcars? If you ask me they do indeed. Isnt that the point of a simulator? In the latests patches we havnt got else than updates on the roadcars making them even more real life roadcars. New interior and latests ABS. This is just the next step: Real life design.

edit: Ps. And yes, you havnt even tried it yet. You could get surprised

Can't really say im shocked your a cruiser, how about actually try racing before you act lke you know what its about, because this isn't what us racers really want, we want real race cars, LMP's etc, aslong as its designed to be out on track im not too bothered, thats plainly a shopping trolley.
Quote :because this isn't what us racers really want, we want real race cars, LMP's etc, aslong as its designed to be out on track im not too bothered, thats plainly a shopping trolley.

What pearcy says!

Park it in the car park, not in a race sim.

Best, Maz
Quote from southamptonfc :

Hopefully the Scirocco will bring with it realistic setups and start the ball rolling to remove most of the setup options for the other road cars which are totally unrealistic atm. Standard brakes fitted to a sporty modern car should not fade if they are using racing brake fluid, without using suitable grade fluid you simply cannot drive at the limit on a track safely. Fitted with appropriate pads and fluid they braking system should be fine for going motor racing with. The main issue I see with this car is its weight, it has more than enough power and isn't slow off the mark, all this pales in comparison to the critical question of whether it will be any good to race.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Can't really say im shocked your a cruiser, how about actually try racing before you act lke you know what its about, because this isn't what us racers really want, we want real race cars, LMP's etc, aslong as its designed to be out on track im not too bothered, thats plainly a shopping trolley.

Maybe you could try and enlighten us a bit more about "what us racers" means, and what cars do you have to drive, to be worthy to be a member of such an exclusive and elite club.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Can't really say im shocked your a cruiser, how about actually try racing before you act lke you know what its about, because this isn't what us racers really want, we want real race cars, LMP's etc, aslong as its designed to be out on track im not too bothered, thats plainly a shopping trolley.

And you didnt get a thing of what i just said. If you want real racecars, why havnt you brought this up a long time ago when you bought lfs and saw that half the cars is streetlegal roadcars? I ask again, what makes the xfg, xrt etc. more of a racecar than the scirocco? Cant you race the scirocco the same way that we have raced the other roadcars for years?

And spare me for that "just because im a member of a cruise server i dont know how to handle a car".
foot on throttle
LFS is many things to many people back in S1 days all we had was road cars and that is where my love of racing still lies. I don't care for downforce race cars at all, not even in the slightest.
Some love the GTR's and SS that's great and imo you have been given a lot of content in those classes in the last few years. So why begrudge another road car in the mix? If you don't like it, no one forces you to drive it, just like I'm not forced to drive the BF1 or the FBM
To say that only drivers that aspire to race those faster cars are the true race drivers and everyone else is not serrious is rubbish. People have even been known to race lawnmowers, tractors, truck, utes and just about anything else with a motor racing is about the spirit of competition and has little to do with what you are actually racing. But I'm an old fart that finds grass roots motor sports more interesting than the glitz and glamour of the commercial juggernauts
My point is that just because you have a particular view of what racing should be doesn't mean it's the only valid view, and there is no reason why LFS can't fit many different levels of racing. Which if irc is what Scawen has stated is one of their goals
god.... this made me think "is lfs community ever happy?"

no progress - ravel ravel ravel....
new car - rave ravel ravel....
new track - ravel ravel ravel....

whatever the devs do there is always people who are not happy......
Quote from DevilDare :god.... this made me think "is lfs community ever happy?"

no progress - ravel ravel ravel....
new car - rave ravel ravel....
new track - ravel ravel ravel....

whatever the devs do there is always people who are not happy......

Exactly. No matter what they do, there'll always be people that need to whine about something
I think people sometimes aren't greatful here. Be happy there is a new car on LFS. I actually like the Scirocco. Should be just like a Golf GTI, or in LFS terms, a slower FXO that should be grippier in corners.

I appriciate what the devs do to this great sim. Putting in anything they come up with is just makes this game better, or more realistic.
Quote from ajp71 :Hopefully the Scirocco will bring with it realistic setups and start the ball rolling to remove most of the setup options for the other road cars which are totally unrealistic atm.

Tbh. I haven't seen anything hinting that anything is done to this aspect. I'd guess the sciroppo comes with "full lfs handling package". There was none of this done with the FBM either which defenately is a series where you can't extensively modify the car. As for other stuff scawen obviously put abs as top priority in this patch which I find extremely strange when there are dozens of equally small things to take care of. And wheels...

If I want close racing I'd rather pick the uf1, the xfg/xrg or the TBOs, all much more interesting and better cars than some posh chav obese hot-hatch wannabe

I still don't get what sciroppo adds to lfs. The only thing it adds is a car with real life badge. Is volkswagen a brand that sells licenses? Hardly. Is scirocco either? Not this one I'm sure. Unless it is the nfs generation which doesn't care about lfs or simulations. Is the car enough good to survive as its own class? Again hardly. Even the TBOs struggle to find enough drivers online. What's the point of adding a car that is little slower than FXO and by all other means almost the same car? Tell me because I don't see it.

Comparing to nkpro the abarth is tzilliards more times appealing car than this. The solskie from iracing beats this hands down with it's feet in its pockets and head in bushes.

What useless car and small fixes we get next year? I'm not sure if I even care. Even scawen had to specifically mention in his post in the test patch forum that:
Quote from Scawen :Although the list of changes is short, there are a lot of internal changes and optimisations.

"You may not believe but there are actually some changes in the exe."

Scirocco - Yawn
(251 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG