The online racing simulator
CMX (version N) & LFS (version 0.5Q) problems: Could not load font & Default codepage
Hi!

I have got some problems with the CMX viewer and LFS: After been installing the viewer into the LFS folder (which should the place to be, ehh?) i get "Default Codepage" error as LFS starts up. I correct this by downloading and installing LFS again, but then the CMX viewer complains about "Could not load font" and halts...

Anyone else out there with this problems...? Is it some kind of bug, or what ?
Quote :After been installing the viewer into the LFS folder (which should the place to be, ehh?)

No.

The CMX viewer should either be installed in a sub-directory of LFS, like ".../LFS/CMX Viewer/", or in any other directory of your liking besides the LFS folder. If you install it there you will get said error.
..no it should be in your main folder; its only been since the past 2 patches that we have gotten this error, but the first version of S2 worked perfectly with the viewer
The viewer is a complete stand alone program and doesn't even need LFS to be anywhere on the computer. No need to put it IN the LFS folder. In earlier patches it worked that way and would be convienient, but not neccessary. Now with Patch Q, the language files of Q is different from the CMX viewer files and they are not compatible. It must be installed separately from LFS or as AndriodXP says, in a subfolder of LFS. NOT the root LFS folder.

I had it unzipped on a thumbdrive so I could pull it up on any computer I happened to be near.
..will the skins work when its in a root file?
SCawen has implicitly stated that the CMX viewer was never meant to go in the root folder of LFS. It just so happens that patch P and Viewer N WERE compatible, but as the CMX viewer won't be updated until the car mappings change this compatibility cannot be guaranteed.
#8 - ORION
Quote from XCNuse :..will the skins work when its in a root file?

the viewer has it's own skins folder
ya but then you have 2 folders for skins.. thats why i always kept the viewer in the main folder so it just used the same folder as LFS itself uses.. that way i dont have to move stuff around and have a complete and utter mess
Yeah, I do agree with you XCNuse . It seems quite weird to have two separate skin folders illepall ... If the viewer ain't supposed to be installed in the LFS folder, then it for sure should have a configuration/settings part that the user might specify the skin path in...
I found a way to have the viewer working in the LFS directory.
I searched for the name of the font in the S2Viewer .exe (abc.abc) with a Hex-Editor. I replaced the abc.abc string with cba.abc (for example) and copied the original S2-Viewer font file and renamed it to cba.abc and placed all the viewer files and directories in the original LFS directory (including the "new" fontfile). Viewer is now working in LFS directory.

Its not causing any problems (yet), so i think its safe.
If you do that, the LFS viewer works. But LFS itself has problems after that and/or is conflicting with the new codepage handling. Don't do that!
LFS is working fine, maybe you misunderstood me (sorry for my bad english).

I have 2 versions of the font file in the LFS/data/abc folder :

One is named abc.abc (from the actual LFS-S2-patch, including new codepages)
and the other is named cba.abc for the modified S2-Viewer.exe and is copied from the S2-Viewer.

Seems to work really fine for me.
E: Argh :doh: you hex-edited the S2 viewer. I somehow failed to notice that. Yes of course, then it works without problems.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG