The online racing simulator
Improved engine braking & damage gauge.
I think the engine braking in the XFG needs looking at as it not giving enough resistance like a real cars engine braking would.

Also engine damage is just a guessing game?? We need some kind of meter or gauge just like the clutch temp one. As it is at the mo you have to listen out for a slight change in the engine sound which is not very accurate & doesn't always tell the full story.
You realise any form of damage gauge is likely just a temporary measure for testing? They're not very 'sim' so I wouldn't expect any in S2 final. At least with engine damage you'll always be able to hear some difference.
It's like the other little things, too comprehensive setup options etc., an incomplete feature which will get tweaked eventually. Better damage has been on the improvement list for S2 final for a good while, afaik Scawen even said S2 will not go final until a damage update.

Unmodified cars shouldn't have it at all, for race cars it's a workaround for pit crew telemetry, imo.

edit: here is the link to the damage update post
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=634383#post634383
Quote from Bob Smith :You realise any form of damage gauge is likely just a temporary measure for testing? They're not very 'sim' so I wouldn't expect any in S2 final. At least with engine damage you'll always be able to hear some difference.

Not all the time, minor engine damage in LFS in inaudible & effects performance. this thread
Uhm, yeah? The point is? Minor engine damage is inaudiable, and why should it be? Simple answer is don't overrev the engine! :slap:
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Uhm, yeah? The point is? Minor engine damage is inaudiable, and why should it be? Simple answer is don't overrev the engine! :slap:

another intelligent response from mr DRIFT .

Do you even know what you are talking about? If there is no indication of engine damage then how would you even know that
you had any? Also if you cant pinpoint where the engine damage occurred then how can find out what or where you went wrong?
It's just an impossible situation from a team manager point of view.
It's a very intelligent response, actually.Maybe Mr Race is a more fitting name (I race XFG's, suprisingly. I must say the engine braking is sufficient, I use it when braking all the time )

Anyway, on topic.

Stating from the top -

1) You know you have engine damage because you're slower accelerating and have a lower top speed then you would normally have. This is more noticeable on a car you know well.

2) In LFS there is no mechanic spannering option (nor will there ever be one), so the fact you have engine damage is enough. You (as a skilled racer, surely) can be tell when your car is not responding as normal. (such as with toe damage, you end up crabbinig along the road..)

3) It went wrong in one way - You overrevved the engine.

If/when engine water temperature and damageable radiators are introduced, then I guess you could damage your engine by causing it to overheat, but either way the damage needs to be fixed to make it go away (by pitting..)

So I don't understand what the problem is...?
You should know how many revs you pull at a given point. If you are not pulling what you expect then you either have engine damage or you messed up the last corner.

Get rid of the clutch heat indicator and replace it with smoke in the cabin. Of course, when S3 goes final, mainstream PCs will have a smell addon card (like a GFX card) which will simulate that special smell only a burning clutch has.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :You should know how many revs you pull at a given point. If you are not pulling what you expect then you either have engine damage or you messed up the last corner.

Get rid of the clutch heat indicator and replace it with smoke in the cabin. Of course, when S3 goes final, mainstream PCs will have a smell addon card (like a GFX card) which will simulate that special smell only a burning clutch has.

Lol that's a good idea actually.

But lol @ the smell addon card, scratch and sniff tv!
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Lol that's a good idea actually.

But lol @ the smell addon card, scratch and sniff tv!

I think they actually tried it. It was like a replaceable pad that you put into an electric 'heater' thingy and it would emit a smell. Downside was that it would linger, and you had to manually change the pad to suit the smell
It'll happen - mark my words.

(Definitely going to bump this thread if smellocards turn up in the next 10 years - I'm going to look like a genius)
Quote from Storm_Cloud :It'll happen - mark my words.

(Definitely going to bump this thread if smellocards turn up in the next 10 years - I'm going to look like a genius)

LOL

@NotAnIllusion

Eww gay, but cool at the same time.

'Roses' smell pad = MMMM, nice
'Cow pat' smell pad = Eww
In race series which have sensors in the car to detail things like engine revs, car speed, gear etc there are likely to be monitors on things like the engine revs that will immediately notify your engineer or some other team personnel when you overrev. I'd like to see the addition of an engineer on the radio to tell you of such things (as GTR Evolution has...he tells you if your water temp is too high or if you've sustained damage). You wouldn't have that sort of thing available on an XFG but then you probably wouldn't have ultra adjustable gearboxes or suspension either.
Yes i see your point S14 & Storm Cloud, in a nutshell I over revved it. Your right as i race that car a lot i immediately noticed something was up when my split times went off.

sry for my initial response S14 but you came across like one of those spoilt 15 year olds who thinks they know everything.

& +1 for SmellFX add on (patent pending) , i reckon that would be great apart from the lingering bit.
Let's hug and make up

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG