The online racing simulator
I have lost my passion for LFS
(73 posts, started )
Quote from MR_B :Speaking of which, the Clean racers club started a demo server up there.

Myself, (R4R Kringle88) usually admins it for a few hours, I have admined it for over 5 hours once! (Bugger that you're thinking) But it was great, great to get some good, clean, close racing going on in a somewhat, dangerous enviroment.

If you lose your faith in LFS, go away for a bit by all means, but do come back!

Yup, that's where I was. Not sure if it was you I saw, but I did see a couple of you R4R guys admin'ing. They left and everyone behaved for a few hours. One guy got on and was wrecking at the end of the night (for me) and I couldn't do anything about it (I know it is limited who has the demo admin password). You can see CRC in my sig there. I'm not very active, but have been a member since the rebirth during the S2 demo days as well as S2 licensed. Though I'm not very active, I do like all the guys in CRC and I hope I represent myself on the servers well enough that others may see CRC in my nick and come check it out.

The one guy who was doing the wrecking ran off when after a while, everyone else went after him. Guess he didn't have as much fun sitting on his roof, while everyone else in the race drove on by than he did sitting on the front stretch waiting to hit the racers head on.

*EDIT: Ok, LOL, CRC isn't in my Sig here, but it is in my nick online.
Quote from steve :yep can feel everything

You just think you can feel everything because you can feel MORE effects than in LFS. Too bad that all those canned effects has nothing to do with the car.

But I do agree that in LFS you can't feel the bumps.

Quote from mrodgers :I don't agree that NR2003 has better FF than LFS, but I do agree that NR2003 has better FF "effects" than all the others disregarding LFS. LFS is the only one giving true feedback (maybe RBR, not sure, never tried it).

RBR has really good, maybe even better FF than LFS. Actually it's hard to compare just because RBR simulates very different kind of cars than LFS. But compared to LFS's FF on rallycross tracks with e.g. RB4 I think RBR is much more advanced... of course LFS isn't concentrated on rallycross so it's not a fair compare.

Quote from danowat :I got my first FF wheel on Monday, a DFP, and I was expecting, from all the comments on here, that the FF in LFS would be "streets" ahead of GTL.
Boy, they are wrong, as the other poster says, the first thing I notice is that GTL has the light wheel feeling when understeering, and LFS doesnt.
How the FF in LFS is streets ahead I dont know, but I dont believe it is.

Dan,

Just curious that are you sure you're using the right settings? Because you said you just got your wheel. LFS doesn't produce Damper and Spring Effects so you should set those to 0% at Logitech Profiler settings. It feels much more better without those.
Can't feel bumps in LFS throught the FFB? Tell that to my porr wrists. and thats with only 50% windows strength and 40% LFS.
Quote from tristancliffe :Can't feel bumps in LFS throught the FFB? Tell that to my porr wrists. and thats with only 50% windows strength and 40% LFS.

Well enough I mean. Or then LFS tracks just aren't that bumpy than I think.
yeah i can feel plenty of bumps in lfs. The tracks in rbr are alot rougher than LFS. even the little rallycross track we have in lfs is pretty damn smooth. There is alot of detail in the lfs and RBR force feedback. In RBR you can feel when a wheel slips into the cracks in the ground in rbr. quite amazing. same with LFS when driving over the traintracks.

i'm interested to see how these games will feel with the speed7 force feedback wheel.
I don't feel a lot of feedback from the bumps, but I do feel some. I get more feedback from the visual g-force simulation anyways. It's not just the wheel that you get feedback from. You get feedback from every aspect you would in real life other than actual g-forces on the body. Steering wheel, visual, sound, it's all very important feedback and all blends together very nice.

With all the feedback blended together, sometimes in the heat of the moment, my mind will trick me into actually feeling the g-forces as well. A while ago, I loaded up NR2003 again to run around a bit with it. I spun out, smacked head on into the wall and thought, hmm, in LFS I would have almost thought I felt hitting the wall. But in NR2003, I don't feel that. (I'm not knocking NR2003. It is still running a close 2nd to LFS, far closer than GTL)
as mainly a drifter, i definetely lost my passion... i quit around july when i just couldn't give a crap about this game anymore. i focused on mountain biking. but once it was off season, i started focusing more on cars, and started drifting in LFS again. now i'm back, and i am more than ready to play until june, or whenever until i get bored again.
[QUOTE=Pabs(Sco)n1Racing is very quiet at the moment and has been for some time. I found a new game to play which is taking up most of my free time[/QUOTE]

cool, whats your nick in EVE?
Quote from MyBoss :cool, whts your nick in EVE?

Sigvie, sigve, sigve.... dont u run off playing all kinds of other games now, ya hear!? :smash:
I can only feel bumps and rumble strips with a FWD car..
Quote from holycow :Sigvie, sigve, sigve.... dont u run off playing all kinds of other games now, ya hear!? :smash:

Hey, I have played two nights in a row now (LFS), Man I wish I drove like last night in the Nations cup on AS Historic. daaaang
Quote from Pabs(Sco) :Well after a break of several months I have tried to come back to race, but still there alot of idiots out there and gettig a good clean race can take several attempts to start.

I hope to be back at some point, but I dont see it in the near future.
So until my passion returns I'll see you later.

Nice to see you back , join my Host when you want to have some fun as in earlier days
But be careful. André ban people who drive too fast for him.
#64 - Aahz
I can second the author of the original post :/

I've been playing LFS on and off for a couple of months now and I just hate how people are SO into trying to get that first place that they ignore everything and everyone. I mean, it's not freakin' Carmageddon!!

I admit, I'm not your superstar driver, but I manage to get O.K. times, usually within seconds of the best drivers. I still have to learn them RWD cars, but I do well in FWD's and the AWD's.

The bad thing is that there's usually no point for me to start in the top 6, because I get bullied into making mistakes and/or crashed into within the first 2 corners. I usually play nice and I drive clean, but it still somehow doesn't help from people crashing into me or the people in back taking advantage of careful driving and speeding past me. Mates, ican be agressive and cut off all your lines, but we're playing a racing sim, not midtown madness!

Sure, I make mistakes,too and I ocassionally tap people. But that happens maybe once or twice per day, as opposed to several times a race for some racers :\

/rant

N.B. I still love LFS!
Quote from Aahz :I've been playing LFS on and off for a couple of months now and I just hate how people are SO into trying to get that first place that they ignore everything and everyone. I mean, it's not freakin' Carmageddon!!

Where do you race?

Have you tried OLFSL? Our members fight hard as well, but IMO in a fair way. With us it's mostly about having fun..
You're welcome to join us if you're interested in racing in a league.

--
Mrs FienDi
The Original LFS League Admin
#66 - Aahz
Well, so far it's been just on any random servers I can get my hands on. Since I do consider myself quite a newbie, I've been spending a lot of time on the [Noob] servers lately in which the people are at least friendly, and the fact that one is a newbie is taken lightly and in no offense.

Well, maybe they are right in being agressive with me. I am considerably slower than most LFS'ers. Could be due to the fact that am I using a joystick, or maybe because I haven't gripped the game well yet.
#67 - th84
Quote from Aahz :Well, so far it's been just on any random servers I can get my hands on. Since I do consider myself quite a newbie, I've been spending a lot of time on the [Noob] servers lately in which the people are at least friendly, and the fact that one is a newbie is taken lightly and in no offense.

Well, maybe they are right in being agressive with me. I am considerably slower than most LFS'ers. Could be due to the fact that am I using a joystick, or maybe because I haven't gripped the game well yet.

I had fun racing with you last night with the RAC on so long!! You are welcome back to our servers any time!!
theres a fix for that carmageddon problem in lfs....

for the following rule this would have to be splitted by servers:
-practice servers would have this option disabled.
-Cleanraces would have this option enable.

the rule would be:

1a-
Give points to player if he finishes race with very little to no damage at all.

2a-
If damage happens, make it COST points to fix the car (points that can only be won with clean races)

1b-
those who race clean lots of times will have way enough points to pay for REAL accidents (not those carmageddon accidents) that do happen sometimes.

2b-
those who never finish a race with the car intact (or finish at all), will have no cash to pay for the damage made.

Quote from spyshagg :theres a fix for that carmageddon problem in lfs....
for the following rule this would have to be splitted by servers:
-practice servers would have this option disabled.
-Cleanraces would have this option enable.

the rule would be:
1a-
Give points to player if he finishes race with very little to no damage at all.
2a-
If damage happens, make it COST points to fix the car (points that can only be won with clean races)
1b-
those who race clean lots of times will have way enough points to pay for REAL accidents (not those carmageddon accidents) that do happen sometimes.
2b-
those who never finish a race with the car intact (or finish at all), will have no cash to pay for the damage made.

I would never join any practise servers because racing is much more fun. I can practise offline

1a: someone bumps you from behind in T1, not your fault and you lose points. Or similar...

2a: the damage usually happens to the slower racers and therefore they don't get any points and therefore they can't fix their car...

1b: it's not nearly all about you or me being a clean driver - it's about the other guys as well

2b: There is should not be any special punishment for those who do not finish the race.
1a "hole" is addressed in 1b

2a situation you made is not really a hole... but its addressed by the "splitted" servers. whatever the case, Practice to join cleanraces (altough im slow and i dont cause damage at all)

1b is addressed by it self... you race clean a lot, you will have points for sure. And the problem you pointed out, wont really be a problem because those others rules protect you.

2b no hole here... the "finishing races" is in context with the "without damage". so... You dont finish the race but you are clean, no harm done.

keep the rules in context and its a very possible solution to wreckers and a harmless one to noobs (go practice noob! )

EDIT: together with "clean finished races" points, one could also get points by every each clean minute of racing...

you see, i wont do anything to crash in real life because i dont have the money to pay for the damage.
..and yes, i still remember that racing is taking chances

the difference, is that in real life those chances have to be calculated! they dont give a damn about damage, but they do give a damn about the prize money at the end of the race if well classified, and with a bad calculated chance its bad press and no money for the team...
yah i don't or havent played in 2 or 3 months
i drive GTL mostly now, and i am still disastrousillepall... i can't win the pole in amateur mode (i did 3 times) out of 179 races?! but i have won 178 races...
but in LFS i was able to grab pole, and even against other people
i love LFS, but the single player stinks mostly adn the multiplayer well, there are never anyraces on the West coast of NorthAmerica...i have seen O ZERO Zilcho racing live...
and i lost my love of it (conversely GTL has made me a wiz racer at 100% Ai in F1C and its mods) but alas my first love LFS is not what it was...
no live races or servers, no fun....
Quote from GT Touring :yah i don't or havent played in 2 or 3 months
i drive GTL mostly now, and i am still disastrousillepall... i can't win the pole in amateur mode (i did 3 times) out of 179 races?! but i have won 178 races...
but in LFS i was able to grab pole, and even against other people
i love LFS, but the single player stinks mostly adn the multiplayer well, there are never anyraces on the West coast of NorthAmerica...i have seen O ZERO Zilcho racing live...
and i lost my love of it (conversely GTL has made me a wiz racer at 100% Ai in F1C and its mods) but alas my first love LFS is not what it was...
no live races or servers, no fun....

The lack of good, public online racing in certain time zones is a serious problem and it has greatly reduced the ammount of time I spend in front of LFS.
However there's no way I'll spend ny newly aquired spare gaming time playing GTL (STARFORCE!). No, the lack of online racing in LFS has renewed my passion for Rome: Total War.

I have lost my passion for LFS
(73 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG