The online racing simulator
Ideas for a program
(43 posts, started )
Whilst the MATLAB help does cover everything, it doesn't cover it in a particularly simple or cohesive fashion - it kinda requires that you have some solid MATLAB knowledge on most topics before using it... which pretty much rules out learning MATLAB using it's built-in help.
#27 - wien
Quote from Dygear :No, PHP is really the only well documented Language out there.

That's pretty close to the most preposterous thing I've ever heard. No other language on the planet is quite that filled with undocumented quirks and implementation specific behaviour. API documentation is easy enough to find (but certainly no better than any other API documentation out there), but dare to venture off the beaten path and you're at the mercy of whatever the Zend engine is doing this week.
Quote from JamesF1 :Whilst the MATLAB help does cover everything, it doesn't cover it in a particularly simple or cohesive fashion - it kinda requires that you have some solid MATLAB knowledge on most topics before using it... which pretty much rules out learning MATLAB using it's built-in help.

its a help not a tutorial
once you have a basic idea of how matrices work the matlab docu is more than helpful... most of the time
That's true to a certain extent - but most of the MATLAB documentation is poorly written and/or simply not clear enough to be useful. But, hey, that's just for me - I like clear, concise documentation.
edit: irrelevant.
C++ :hidesbehi
Quote from RocksGt :http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/
http://www.ruby-doc.org/doxygen/current/

These two are my main programming languages right now, but almost every language have a good documentation

THANK YOU, FINALLY SOME ONE GOT THE POINT!
You all said, "blah, blah, blah, this language is well documented!" BUT YOU NEVER SAID WHERE! What's the point, it's like saying, "I have manufactured the cure for cancer! ... Oh, you want to see it? To bad!" Until I see proof of this, your word means nothing! If the documentation is so good, why don't you link to it?
#34 - wien
We have this newfangled thing called Google these days. If you're going to make a ridiculous statement like the one you made I'd expect you to at least give it a whirl first. It's not like it's bloody difficult to find.
I was asking for knowledgeable reply's, but thanks for your input.

Back on topic, idea for a program: A program that lists all services on the computer, it's name, it's description, weather or no it's started / manual / stopped, the name of the dll it is, the name of the exe it's running under. A CSV file format would be fun .
#36 - wien
Then maybe if you'd phrased your post like an actual question instead of making absolute statements like "No, PHP is really the only well documented Language out there" and "All of the other langues really lack this", you'd have gotten better replies.

I doubt anyone would have jumped on you if you instead said "Personally I find the php.net documentation to be excellent. Is there something similar for other languages?". See the difference?
Quote from Dygear :I was asking for knowledgeable reply's, but ...........idea for a program: A program that lists all services on the computer, it's name, it's description, weather or no it's started / manual / stopped, the name of the dll it is, the name of the exe it's running under. A CSV file format would be fun .

This sounds similar to what SMS does (Systems Management Server) which can view the whole resources of any PC connected to the domain the server is running on. However, SMS does require each client to have the client app installed in order to work

Could a Java app do this? - Just throwing ideas around, so excuse my ignorance in these matters
Quote from wien :Then maybe if you'd phrased your post like an actual question instead of making absolute statements like "No, PHP is really the only well documented Language out there" and "All of the other langues really lack this", you'd have gotten better replies.

I doubt anyone would have jumped on you if you instead said "Personally I find the php.net documentation to be excellent. Is there something similar for other languages?". See the difference?

Yes, but depending on the crowd, you'll get more replys with my approach. People tend to protect what they use, so when such a statement is made that one is better then the other, they feel that they owe it to the program, or to themselves to justify why they use what they use to everyone else but correcting it. I will say that your replys alone have made this an interesting social experiment, and I think I've come away with a better insight into this community.

Quote from tongey :This sounds similar to what SMS does (Systems Management Server) which can view the whole resources of any PC connected to the domain the server is running on. However, SMS does require each client to have the client app installed in order to work

Could a Java app do this? - Just throwing ideas around, so excuse my ignorance in these matters

I must admit, I've not heard of this. I will also admit, that I was hoping for a BATCH geek to be on this forum with a reply on how to do this via a Command Line function. But indeed, thanks for the point into that direction . (I'll look and see if Monad allows for something like this, but I would perfer it if the user would not have to install something so they can find out if they really need that Service Running or not.)
Quote from Dygear :I must admit, I've not heard of this.

It's "recently" been renamed to System Center Configuration 2007, which you may know it as.

Quote from Dygear :I will also admit, that I was hoping for a BATCH geek to be on this forum with a reply on how to do this via a Command Line

Sounds like you're after WMI (which System Center/SMS uses incidentally (to a point)) - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394572(VS.85).aspx, and in particular using wmic and wql (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394531(VS.85).aspx)...
--
How about you make a program that generates random ideas for people who want to make programs ^^
XD
edit: irrelevant.

Ideas for a program
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG