The online racing simulator
Ati 4850 vs 9800GTX+
(48 posts, started )

Poll : Ati 4850 vs 9800GTX+

Closed since :
Ati 4850
9800gtx+
Ati 4850 vs 9800GTX+
I am thinking of buying a new graphic card and I am stuck between these two.

I have done some research and most of the people say that they are more like equal, in some occasions the 9800 slightly better but the 4850 is a lot cheaper and consumes less power.

So what do you guys suggest?
Quote from [UKR] Race King :I am thinking of buying a new graphic card and I am stuck between these two.

I have done some research and most of the people say that they are more like equal, in some occasions the 9800 slightly better but the 4850 is a lot cheaper and consumes less power.

So what do you guys suggest?

There you have it . Which one of those matters the most to you?
Dont know, I am very doubtful as person and when something is slightly better than something else it puts me in thoughts "should I take it or not"
If I were you I'd go for the ATI.
the 9800 isn't slightly better, the 4850 IS
The price is difference is quite big.

135 euro the 4850.

And 169 euro the 9800GTX+.
#7 - VoiD
just remember why allot of people whine about the high temps of the cards. Standard the percentage of fan speed lays around 20-25% make sure you download (e.g.) rivatuner and put it on 50%
Quote from Scrabby :just remember why allot of people whine about the high temps of the cards. Standard the percentage of fan speed lays around 20-25% make sure you download (e.g.) rivatuner and put it on 50%

No need for crap thirdparty tools.

New ati driver has its own fanspeed controller.
#10 - Ziil
About the temps of the 4850 you can get a Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot it doesn't cost more than a standard one but it has a custom PCB and better cooling than the stock card.
Mine runs around 45ish C at idle and maxed at 75C in furmark stability test.
Yeah roughly the same temps here on my Sapphire 4850.

I can't fault the 4850, I run all my games on max detail, and they look fantastic and run PERFECTLY smoothly.

I did exactly the same as you when I was looking at a graphics card, read the review, decided I'd rather have the cheaper, more energy-efficient card.

BTW Sapphire changed their GPU cooling on the 4850 a little while ago apparently, mine is the later revision. It is VERY quiet. I've never had such a powerful PC run this quietly.
Max, I've got the 4850 and it's excellent for the money.
Thank you guys for the tips, I think I made my choice.

I will go with the 4850.
ATi :headbang:
True, This is my first ATi that I own and I'm very pleased with it.

(used a 8800GT before this 4870)
Today I bought the Asus 4850.

Right now I am trying to install the drivers but at some point the installation freezes.

Any ideas?

Here is a pic:
It is like that for half hour or so.

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jawdjawui3.png
Quote from [UKR] Race King :Today I bought the Asus 4850.

Right now I am trying to install the drivers but at some point the installation freezes.

Any ideas?

First off, make sure you have the right drivers. Go to ATI's website and download the latest drivers for your system (is it Vista or XP? 32 or 64 bit?) - the 4850 comes under the '4800 series' range.

Next, use Driver Cleaner Pro to 'clean' your system of old graphics drivers. Start the program and select your OLD graphics card maker (ATI/Nvidia etc), the program then gets rid of all those old files still hanging around on your system.

Reboot your machine, then install the new drivers. If you're still crashing the system, is it a hardware problem? Have you connected the power to the graphics card? Is your power supply powerful enough to support the 4850?
Now I have another problem.

And its not only in lfs like that.

[EDIT] Problem fixed.
Attached images
dasdawf.JPG
Quote from [UKR] Race King :Now I have another problem.

And its not only in lfs like that.

Have you tried it at different resolutions?
And are you using Vista or XP?
What DirectX version are you running?
What motherboard are you using? (Just wondering if there's any 'problems' with that mobo/GFX combo been reported on the 'net forums)
Quote from Joe_Keaveney :Have you tried it at different resolutions?
And are you using Vista or XP?
What DirectX version are you running?
What motherboard are you using? (Just wondering if there's any 'problems' with that mobo/GFX combo been reported on the 'net forums)

It was because of wrong drivers.

I downloaded drivers from this site and it works perfectly now.
I turned on my pc today and the problem that I had before isnt fixed.
Attached images
wadawds.JPG
Quote from [UKR] Race King :I turned on my pc today and the problem that I had before isnt fixed.

A bit more information? What are your systems specs? What mobo are you running? What OS? What GFX card DID you used to run before the 4850? What memory are you running? What CPU are you running?
Quote from Joe_Keaveney :A bit more information? What are your systems specs? What mobo are you running? What OS? What GFX card DID you used to run before the 4850? What memory are you running? What CPU are you running?

Windows XP Home edition
Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz
1,50GB RAM
GFX card that I used before was a 7600GT

Now as for the mobo, I have no idea which one it is.

Ati 4850 vs 9800GTX+
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG