The online racing simulator
Post your car history!
(81 posts, started )
Quote from JJ72 :are you being funny or just out right ignorant?

Just ignorant I suppose. DHRammstein: European 1.6 engines usually have around 100bhp. That's about as much as you'd get from a 427cui V8 over there . It's certainly enough to merge onto the highway.
Quote :how long does it take your crummy british 1.6 embarrasments to reach 60mph, or even worse, 100mph? Or can any of them?

Well My crummy British Ariel Atom hits 60 in 2.7 seconds and keeps going to 155 its only a little supercharged 2 litre but it does for me

Disclaimer i dont actually own one just messing :P
#53 - Osco
Quote from hrtburnout :Just ignorant I suppose. DHRammstein: European 1.6 engines usually have around 100bhp. That's about as much as you'd get from a 427cui V8 over there . It's certainly enough to merge onto the highway.

rofl

my 'history'
bought a '94 Mazda Mx-5 in 2006, still going strong(ish)
Quote from DHRammstein :
"The same way you do in any car" Yeah, it's real safe accelerating at that slow of a pace getting onto the highway, you probably have to redline every gear to get to the speed limit, while I'm just gently pressing the thottle in 6th gear.

A 1.6 isn't small, it is still the top of the range model on a lot of small cars over here, the Fiesta 1.6 can do 0-60 in under 10 seconds and it is just an everyday cheap hatchback that, like all new cars, is hugely overweight (but not in American proportions). How many cars and pick ups on a US highway can actually keep up with with a small hatchback in a straight line, let alone round a corner?

A modern 1.6 litre engine is perfectly capable of running at motorway speeds and is more than you need for a good thrash on road or track. If there isn't enough power the car is too heavy.

Any sports car with more than 250bhp that can't get 60 in under 5 seconds has a major issue and it isn't lack of power, more lack of lightness.
Quote from ajp71 :A 1.6 isn't small, it is still the top of the range model on a lot of small cars over here, the Fiesta 1.6 can do 0-60 in under 10 seconds and it is just an everyday cheap hatchback that, like all new cars, is hugely overweight (but not in American proportions). How many cars and pick ups on a US highway can actually keep up with with a small hatchback in a straight line, let alone round a corner?

A modern 1.6 litre engine is perfectly capable of running at motorway speeds and is more than you need for a good thrash on road or track. If there isn't enough power the car is too heavy.

Any sports car with more than 250bhp that can't get 60 in under 5 seconds has a major issue and it isn't lack of power, more lack of lightness.

Well the base model Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7 V8 will do 0-60 in under 9 seconds. My Brothers ram with the Hemi will do it closer to 6.5-7.0 and run 1/4 mile in the low 15's which is the same as a Civic Type'R. Below 70MPH his truck will all but keep up to my car.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars ... specifications/index.html

I see a ton of these running around the UK, they too small for the states? Should check it out, they are all over the States too.

The honda Civic weighs 2800 pounds, see lots of people driving those too in the UK.

Mazda 3 again 2800 pounds.

I fail to see much of a difference in the car weights with the newer cars. Older cars are a different story and I think that shows how the brits live and afford more than anything. I don't see many new cars on the road that weigh under 2600-2700 pounds in the UK.

Here's another one that they sell in the states now I believe.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/200 ... stra/100913114/specs.html almost 3k pounds.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/200 ... ocus/100924402/specs.html

Another popular car in the States when I went. 2600 pounds.

I chose what people usually buy from what I have seen on the roads in both places, there are heavier cars, and there are lighter cars on the both sides of the ocean. The states no longer drive huge heavy vehicles, no more so than anywhere else. The cars are becoming smaller in the states and given a few more years a lot of the old boats will cease to be on the roads that were formed back in the day of Framed chassis vehicles.

It's one thing to constantly barrage someone's homeland in jest and joking, but when the blood starts to drip and people start flinging comments around seriously mods you seriously need to step in, other than just closing the thread which should have been deleted or at least cleaned up. There is a whole team of mods, why couldn't at least one person gone in and cleaned the thread up. I am sick of the ani-American semitism here. I don't feel welcome or enjoy reading these threads. Every time someone brings up an american car it turns into something abusive to the States. I am sick of it and the inaction from the moderators. I am done posting and looking on the forums again for a while. I don't want to spend my time looking at people bash my home country in this manner. Jokes are one thing, but these are not jokes. Not that anyone really cares because it's been like this for quiet some time.

Ajp to be clear this isn't about your comment about heavy cars in the states. That comment was true 15 years ago but it's almost negligable now in the car markets. This comment is about the other 5 page thread that was closed...

Sure I should PM this to a mod but I'm not...
Quote from DHRammstein :how long does it take your crummy british 1.6 embarrasments to reach 60mph, or even worse, 100mph? Or can any of them?

Just for the record: In my crummy old French 1.6 (Saxo VTS), I could run a 0-60 in 6.2 seconds (ticketed), and top out at 133mph. In something that is quarter the size of your "muscle" car.
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :
The honda Civic weighs 2800 pounds, see lots of people driving those too in the UK.

Mazda 3 again 2800 pounds.

I fail to see much of a difference in the car weights with the newer cars. Older cars are a different story and I think that shows how the brits live and afford more than anything. I don't see many new cars on the road that weigh under 2600-2700 pounds in the UK.

Here's another one that they sell in the states now I believe.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/200 ... stra/100913114/specs.html almost 3k pounds.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/200 ... ocus/100924402/specs.html

Another popular car in the States when I went. 2600 pounds.

All European/Japanese full size cars or super duper compacts for the US market. The fact that an Astra is now so heavy is a rather sad reflection on how car design has gone backwards, in just two model updates it has managed to add 50% onto its weight, imagine building a mark 3 Astra with todays manufacturing techniques and materials and a modern engine, it would absolutely fly and be far more economical and relevant to the whole environmental front.

When I went to the US last Summer we hired a Ford Taurus X, a car just shy of two tonnes, 4WD, soft and automatic. This seemed to be pretty typical and in no way a big car for the US roads after a few hours on US roads it felt perfectly normal to be driving around in such a big car and nice and spacious and we couldn't believe how little it cost to fill up. A fortnight later the roof lining had fallen off, interior lights didn't work and it had some strange rattles (this was a brand new car that we had to wait to be driven off the transporter when we picked it up). In short the build quality was appalling, the ride was so soft it was bouncy, fuel economy was non-existent (because it was dragging around 2 tons and needlessly powering two wheels), driving experience was totally detached (what you expect in an automatic American car really). The only good bits were the perception of luxury, the amount of metal you can buy in the US for a not very hot hatch here and the engine, which was fantastic though you'd be forgiven for not realising it had 263bhp when you opened the taps and the thing just bogged down like you might expect an underpowered hatchback to.
I agree the new cars are too heavy =) Even the Golf weighs in nearing 3k.

Fek those new taurus' are heavy. Thats more a truck than a car =) They are the same size as the caliber right?
Ok! I'm jealous in Aus you have to sell a kidney and maybe some other organ to buy anything thats decent. We get bombarded with American TV and movies hence why we think the grass is always greener elsewhere.
I don't know what the exchange rate is but when I watch 5th gear or top gear cars seem cheaper in the UK.
I've never owned a new car, could never afford it and the most expensive car I've bought is my 1991 Diesel Hilux at $20,000 in 1994.
My car history:
Holden Gemini 1976
Willys Jeep 1942
Toyota Hilux 1991
That's over 30 years of driving.
If I can inclued the cars I married into
Nisssan Pulsar 1985
Nissan Micra 1995
I think if you can achieve you your passion in life good on you, I'd love to own a WRX Impreza STI but I can't see it happening but if the lotto comes around look out.
I've had way too many cars.
I'm not rich, not even close, but I tend to buy and get bored of or get totaled by an old lady running lights. which has happened twice.

72 Chevy Nova, SS Clone with a 388 stroker, which sounds expensive, but aside from the motor, it was a monster roach.

83 Monte Carlo LS

79 Pontiac Grand Prix, with an Olds 454 (same as nova, it was POS)

85 Buick Regal

89 Nissan Maxima

68 Cadillac Fleetwood (Kick myself for selling it every day since I did)

91 Toyota Camry

86 Chevy Short bed

91 GMC 2500

91 Ford Mustang 5.0 (I crashed it in to an underpass in the rain 5 minutes after registering it. I'm still not sure what happened, I didn't even think I was driving like an idiot.)

01 Ford Focus (Old Lady ran a stop sign and damn near torn the back of the car off)

89 Pontiac Firebird

90 Jeep Cherokee (Old lady tboned it)

68 Chevelle

02 Volkswagon Jetta

Currently- 99 Cavalier, 97 Chevy Blazer, 89 Cadillac Fleetwood.

I feel like I'm missing a couple, but today was a long day at work, I am a bit fuzzy.
Quote from Jakg :Jeez you said exactly the same thing to W4H - when he responded with an equally cheap shot you went crazy.

Yeah, gotta love that
Quote from DHRammstein :Yeah, it's real safe accelerating at that slow of a pace getting onto the highway

Yeah, you never know when someone in a Cobra might come flying down the highway at 120mph.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Yeah, you never know when someone in a Cobra might come flying down the highway at 120mph.

Hahaha.
Nice cheap shot, but if it ever happened, I hope it's you I hit, jealous punk. Get a life. Oh, here's what I think about you ppl and your internet habits:

Talk all you want, it only reveals more and more how jealous you are of me, you're pathetic. I worked for years to get what I have, and people like you make me sick, your ego is so sensative you can't handle the fact other people may have something you dont. Material items don't make a person better, in fact, the majority of the time it's material items which own us. However in your case, it's your ego and misplaced hate that control and dictate what you do. Why don't you just let this thread continue as intended, and leave me the hell alone. Can your weak mind find the strenth to just let this go? Or must you continue to antagonize me out of jealousy and envy?
Quote from DHRammstein :I worked for years to get what I have

didnt you post before that you got your money by winning compensation for personal injuries? possibly caused by cycling into signposts
Quote from DHRammstein :
Talk all you want, it only reveals more and more how jealous you are of me, you're pathetic. I worked for years to get what I have, and people like you make me sick, your ego is so sensative you can't handle the fact other people may have something you dont. Material items don't make a person better, in fact, the majority of the time it's material items which own us. However in your case, it's your ego and misplaced hate that control and dictate what you do. Why don't you just let this thread continue as intended, and leave me the hell alone. Can your weak mind find the strenth to just let this go? Or must you continue to antagonize me out of jealousy and envy?

that's why i hate some people here on this forum... i agree with you

and shot, signposts + crash, i think sam93 can answer that one
Quote from DHRammstein :Can your weak mind find the strenth to just let this go?

You realise that you're continuing it just as much as he is? Maybe you should just take your own advice
Quote from DHRammstein :Nice cheap shot, but if it ever happened, I hope it's you I hit, jealous punk.

Why do you keep calling everyone jealous?

Quote from DHRammstein :Get a life. Oh, here's what I think about you ppl and your internet habits:

By saying that you think you're better then "us," you then bring yourself morally down to "our" level.

Quote from DHRammstein :Talk all you want, it only reveals more and more how jealous you are of me, you're pathetic.

What is with all of the personal insults? No-where did I insult you personally. Why do I deserve to be insulted then?

Quote from DHRammstein :I worked for years to get what I have, and people like you make me sick, your ego is so sensative you can't handle the fact other people may have something you dont.

Again, you are calling me jealous. Why?

Quote from DHRammstein :Material items don't make a person better, in fact, the majority of the time it's material items which own us.

Then how come you took it personally when I insulted your car?

Quote from DHRammstein :However in your case, it's your ego and misplaced hate that control and dictate what you do.

I do not hate anyone on this forum. I just think that sometimes people make mistakes and say stupid things. I also think that some people have bad egos and such, but I don't hate anyone. Because, there are many things that I personally have said, and I regret saying. There is also certain things about my personality that I don't like. But, if I don't hate myself for saying stupid things, so I don't see how could I hate someone else for having a bad attitude or saying stupid things.

Quote from DHRammstein :Or must you continue to antagonize me out of jealousy and envy?

Whilst I most definitely am antagonizing you, maybe you should think about your own actions. Who cares if I am antagonizing you? Everyone gets antagonized, otherwise there wouldn't be any conflict. Conflict is just a natural part of life.

If you were to beat someone up, and you were charged with assault, good luck using "he antagonized me so I kicked his ass" as a defense in court. I think it is important that people also be aware of their reactions, and hold themselves at least half accountable for arguing. I do realize that I am adding to the problem by antagonizing you. But it takes two to have a fight/conflict. You are just as much of the problem as I am. You could have ignored my comment. Or, you could have used concrete arguments using actual laptimes or something of the sort to show that a Cobra is a fairly good handling vehicle. The personal attacks, repeatedly calling me jealous, and such brought you right down to my level.
Quote from Shotglass :didnt you post before that you got your money by winning compensation for personal injuries? possibly caused by cycling into signposts

I was nearly killed by a drunk driver in a tractor trailer. I was parked in the emergency lane on the highway (for good reason) and a tractor trailer nailed me at 65+MPH. Besides, I didn't use one dime of my lawsuit winnings to purchase my Cobra, I'd already been saving like 4 years, and had a trade. My $ is locked up for school and my son, not that you care to know, but, whatever.
Quote from wheel4hummer :You could have ignored my comment. Or, you could have used concrete arguments using actual laptimes or something of the sort to show that a Cobra is a fairly good handling vehicle. The personal attacks, repeatedly calling me jealous, and such brought you right down to my level.

Have to agree with that!
wheel4hummer, I think you're missing the entire point. I want this ignorant rant to stop. I'm not gonna continue in this thread anymore. I admit I'm pretty stupid for even taking part in this, mostly just because I can't understand what's wrong with the post, however now it's become clear. I'm treating this forum as I would a "real" racing forum, where it's all about what you build and drive. I originally wanted to post this, as I do in all racing forums, or participate in others that post these threads, because I love cars, and I love seeing custom work, a lot of people have great imaginations and do some very nice things. Obviously this isn't the place for it, I shouldn't have posted in the first place, since it's technically a simulator site, and not real racing, or again, a "real" racing enthusiast site. I just don't see the harm in seeing what people have and what they've done. There must be at least a few people here that share the passion I do for auto's and motorsports in general, and I wanted to share my work.

Quote from wheel4hummer : You are just as much of the problem as I am. You could have ignored my comment. Or, you could have used concrete arguments using actual laptimes or something of the sort to show that a Cobra is a fairly good handling vehicle. The personal attacks, repeatedly calling me jealous, and such brought you right down to my level.

I'll be the first to say your typical mustang is "not" a very great handling car, most come with live axles. However when ford recalled all the cobra's in '02, and revealed their plans for the Terminator, I started saving that very week, my very next paycheck. Although, even tho the Terminators ('03/'04 only) have an IRS, they're still nothing compared to an Evo or STI. Generally they're not great handling, although compared to any other mustang, they're incredibly good, except for just one model, the 2000 Cobra R. So my point is, or was, or....well should have been, that I have installed a pretty decent suspension and brakes, with staggered wheels. I have no idea what it would do on a skidpad, I can only hope above .90g.

Mustangs are very much american, and although they're frowned on by many because of particular designs, it's all for a reason, those who buy mustangs, "want" them this way. They want a cheap, fun, simple V8 Pony car, capable of drag racing and taking the beating for a few hundred thousand miles. The Terminator was Fords attempt at a car with more all around racing spirit, and they nailed it. To this day it's the most capable car at it's price point, in American anyways. (There are lots of euro cars that will outhandle for less money, which makes up for the cobra's huge HP advantage) I don't like the '05+ mustangs, I don't like the Shelby's, I'm waiting on the new model to be released, I believe next year, when the GT will finally run low 12's stock, and the Cobra's will be upgraded to more of a sports car standard, like that of a Corvette. Anyways, that's how I feel, and that's why I bought the car. I don't have great credit, but I didn't abuse my savings either, I saved for nearly 5 years, and traded in my Ford Explorer(didnt need a winter vehicle, and refused to put up with fuel costs) and got my Cobra, simple as that. Most people finance, but I had patience, and waited, and saved a ton in interest.

Regardless, I'm done here, I can't take the level of immaturity, a little here and there isn't a problem, but when it hijacks a thread and starts making people look bad, it's too much. You can have the last word, since your willing to fight so hard for it. I don't want to be a part of this nonsense.

I don't know what else to say, and I'm not gonna participate in this kind of thing, I usually won't even respond to this point, arguing on the internet is just absolutely terrible, and I regret I even responded to anything.
Quote from DHRammstein :I was nearly killed by a drunk driver in a tractor trailer, you bastard.

so that qualifies as work in the us then?
Quote from Shotglass :so that qualifies as work in the us then?

What exactly is the point of posting that? :thumbsdow
Quote from DHRammstein :I have no idea what it would do on a skidpad, I can only hope above .90g.

You're not seriously saying you hope it corners better than a stock Mazda 3?

Mazda 3 (Car&Driver 1/2004)
Roadholding, 300-ft skidpad: 0.87g

Ontopic to make my post not completely useless:

E30 325 ix
RPS13 180sx
E36 325i (friends car loaned to me)
W201 190 2.3
Mazda 6 2.0 (soon to be sold)
Quote from squidhead :You're not seriously saying you hope it corners better than a stock Mazda 3?

Lateral acceleration on a skid pad do not necessarily show how well a vehicle corners. I'm not saying anything about any car in particular, but a skidpad can only show you so much.

Post your car history!
(81 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG