The online racing simulator
Diesel or Petrol
(76 posts, started )
Diesel or Petrol
Hello,

My friend just passed his driving test.

So I just wanted to ask you all what engine you think would be better to go for.

He's planning on keeping the car for probably 5 years or so. And it also seems like he'd do possibly around 5000 miles a year.

And also he wants a small car... so I've got no idea about these either. Stuff like little mazdas, pegeots whatever, you get the idea... hopefully!

Something with low fuel consumption and cheapish insurance costs basically.

Probably 2nd hand, but new and wants to keep the total cost below £5-10k.

Personally considering the anual milage it looks like he should go for petrol engine or am I wrong? And doesn't it cost more to maintain a diesel engine if something happens to it.
Petrol. Petrol, petrol, petrol.
Also what the heck is speed limiter in real life? It only associates with driving into pits for me. (peugeot site)

I need more detailed replies tristan..
wel diesel
but i dont know the prices in your country.
in holland its like when you are driving more then 30000km in a year then its cheaper to buy a Diesel.
#5 - BAMBO
Petrol all the way! If he's gonna keep it for 5 years and only drive about 5000 miles a year then their is no reason to pay 2000 euros more for a tractor.
Well I guess he'd be doing around 8-12000km per year so I take it as it's better to get petrol, maybe even less.
diesel does better mileage and has more torque.
Quote from Luke.S :has more torque.

Not if you take off the turbocharger.

6.2L GM Diesel engine, 143HP and 247ft/lb
6.2L GM LS3 (Petrol V8), 430HP and 424ft/lb

The advantage isn't more torque. The advantage is a flatter torque curve. And that's only an advantage on large vehicles.
Quote from Luke.S :diesel does better mileage and has more torque.

And because of the gearing, it won't be any faster than a petrol engined car.
Just to point out.

He doesn't give a shit about speed or stuff like torque. He isn't a keen driver nor cares about it.
Diesel is for tractors. Petrol is for cars. Period.
Then it all depends on how much he drives. From a certain amount of kilometers/miles driven, running a diesel car is cheaper than a petrol one.
Quote from hrtburnout :Then it all depends on how much he drives. From a certain amount of kilometers/miles driven, running a diesel car is cheaper than a petrol one.

Well that's why I am here, I thought LFS forum would be a good place to ask folk which engine would be better for him. I also twice posted milage he would possibly do in a year. WHich I guess is around 4000-5000 miles per a year or 7-10000 km~

And obviously it depends on how much he drives.
Depends: if his driving is mostly in the city, the better consumption of a diesel might pay off... If it's mostly highway, where diesels lose a big part of their advantage, it may be better to go with petrol, especially with the current diesel prices...
Say the Petrol car does 40mpg, and the diesel does 55mpg. [Using local Fuel prices] (Going by if he drives exactly 5000 miles per year)

Petrol car = 5000/40 = 125 gallons of fuel used... (or 473.18 litres)

473.2 * 116.8 = £552.70 per year.

Diesel car = 5000/55 = 90.9 gallons of fuel used...(or 344.1 litres)

344.1*130 = £447.33 per year.

Someone will probably correct me, but im guessing diesel.
Quote from bbman :Depends: if his driving is mostly in the city, the better consumption of a diesel might pay off... If it's mostly highway, where diesels lose a big part of their advantage, it may be better to go with petrol, especially with the current diesel prices...

Well spoke with dad about it, seems a bit pointless in his case.

SO thread closed, thanks for help.

Spider yes, but don't forget that diesel car will be more expensive than same model petrol version. And things like that also should be added to calculations.
If he keeps it for the 5 year, then he is making £526.85 (if fuel prices stay similar distance apart).

So he might make the money back...

My parents bought their car in Aberdeen, and the difference between the petrol and diesel car was only £250.99.
How about road taxes? If I recall correctly, diesel cars are relatively more expensive to own (purchase, road taxes), compared to petrol cars.
Quote from spiderbait90 :If he keeps it for the 5 year, then he is making £526.85 (if fuel prices stay similar distance apart).

So he might make the money back...

My parents bought their car in Aberdeen, and the difference between the petrol and diesel car was only £250.99.

woo finally someone from aberdeen
Quote from Electric Eye : woo finally someone from aberdeen

Not quite aberdeen here, but if i say the name of the village i live in no-one will have a clue where.

Nearer ellon than aberdeen.
Maybe he can buy petrol car and put LPG system on it (i think that's the right name), i think it'll be cheaper than a diesel car, by some time , of course, if he wants to drive in cheap way.
petrol, nub
Quote from wheel4hummer :Not if you take off the turbocharger.

6.2L GM Diesel engine, 143HP and 247ft/lb
6.2L GM LS3 (Petrol V8), 430HP and 424ft/lb

The advantage isn't more torque. The advantage is a flatter torque curve. And that's only an advantage on large vehicles.

Uhm am I only one who thinks you're pulling our leg? (But yes, Diesel engines do have more torque. It's what they're renowned for.)

W e can get a 150Bhp 1.9 diesel engine in a Vauxhall Vectra... With simular torque

that's like 30 BHp per liter. Typical American engineerring.

Big engine. Big noise. Small movement.
For me, it´s just about driving pleasure, so: Petrol I don´t wanna shift at 3k

Diesel or Petrol
(76 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG