The online racing simulator
My Watercooling Kit
(117 posts, closed, started )
Quote from The General Lee :That sentence says so much about you. You must be the only guy around here who gets awards for not killing himself.

Harjun - Glad to have you back, this place was getting dull.

S14 - You got owned. Then came back with some good answers. But, I'll just concentrate on you getting owned.

I love you too Niall. I look at things like this

I'm past arguing on teh net xD
£100 is not much if you have loads of money, but lets look at the flip side of this one. what if you're unemployed and you only get £140 per fortnight? i take it you've never been in a position where you have to think about where every penny you have is spent properly and unfoolishly (is that even a word?).
Quote from harjun :ohkay...apart from the fact im only putting 1.55V through it which is intels max recommendation.
By the time is breaks (2 or so years) i'll be looking around for an up-to-date computer anyway.

wanna buy me another 9800gt?

Oh and can i have a http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=609257
and 2 of these dual kits http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=609294

One of these http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=609195

One of these http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=609477

One of these http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=600191

Some of this http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=600353

One of these http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=605056
#54 - 5haz
Pffft, what do you need cooling for your PC for?

I use my PC as a very effective way of heating my house, saves on gas bills.
Quote from 5haz :Pffft, what do you need cooling for your PC for?

I use my PC as a very effective way of heating my house, saves on gas bills.

That's where my adjustable fan setup comes in handy During winter I can knock off the fans, and all is cosy. During summer I can ramp up the fans, and enjoy the ice cold room. The HDD cage doubles as a fridge when the front fan is on too, very handy for chocolate and cans
exaggerate is also a job.
#57 - 5haz
Quote from dougie-lampkin :That's where my adjustable fan setup comes in handy During winter I can knock off the fans, and all is cosy. During summer I can ramp up the fans, and enjoy the ice cold room. The HDD cage doubles as a fridge when the front fan is on too, very handy for chocolate and cans

Haha nice one, obviously with only one fan on this thing im restricted to heating only, feels like summer in here right now even with the window wide open!

I don't get any of the overclocking stuff anyway, im happy with LFS running at 70fps on 1024x768 resolution.

I know this has probrably been said many times before, but why do people get so addicted to such things, wouldn't you much rather want to be overclocking cars (I bet some people could afford to given the amount of money they pump into their Pc's), and making friends in the big wide world outside?

(I did try it once, my graphics card driver had some overclocking option, and i kept daring myself to nudge the slider a tiny bit further, got up to about 3ghz when i was treated to a lovely pshychedelic display before a reeboot, and that was my old bogstandard pentium 4. )
Quote from dougie-lampkin :That's where my adjustable fan setup comes in handy During winter I can knock off the fans, and all is cosy. During summer I can ramp up the fans, and enjoy the ice cold room. The HDD cage doubles as a fridge when the front fan is on too, very handy for chocolate and cans

Fans :rolleyes:

Not used fans on gfx cards since i setup CrossfireX, first one is idleing at 43 other one at 39.
Quote from dougie-lampkin : During summer I can ramp up the fans, and enjoy the ice cold room. The HDD cage doubles as a fridge when the front fan is on too, very handy for chocolate and cans

WOW, you seem to have invented a way to make your case suck in warm room air, which picks up the heat from cpu, vga, northbridge etc. and eventually exits the case at a much lower temperature: cold enough to cool your room, chocolate and cans

i am REALLY IMPRESSED
Well the HDD cage is at the front of the case, and the two HDDs are spread out just enough to hold a can securely, where the front fan sucks in cold air And being Ireland, "summer" is never more than like 20 degrees in my room, so it's not bringing in hot air either. The fans can spin up to 2500RPM when necessary, thereby sucking in almost ice cold air, and at that speed air is almost pushed straight through at the same temperature. And when I say the whole room is ice cold, that's a bit of exaggeration...but I am, as I sit right next to the PC

And then during winter, if I only leave on the rear fan (and leave the front one idling of course), the components heat up the case air considerably, and then the rear fan pushes that out.

You should be REALLY IMPRESSED, I've managed to create a climate control unit

Fans are the best bet for me, they cool it down way more than I need. Right now, with all fans idling (600-700 RPM), here's my temperatures (the one fan listed there is the CPU fan, which I don't have control over. The other fans don't show up, as they're hooked up to an external control unit. Also, "Temp" isn't a sensor on my PC. I think it's a bug in Speedfan, it stays at 51 no matter what, even straight after boot):
Attached images
speedfan.jpg
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Well the HDD cage is at the front of the case, and the two HDDs are spread out just enough to hold a can securely, where the front fan sucks in cold air And being Ireland, "summer" is never more than like 20 degrees in my room, so it's not bringing in hot air either. The fans can spin up to 2500RPM when necessary, thereby sucking in almost ice cold air, and at that speed air is almost pushed straight through at the same temperature.

okay, so your room temperature is 20°C, what do you think how cold the air gets as it is sucked into the case? -2°C as shown in your picture?

the 51°C is supposed to be some bug but you believe the -2°C without any doubts, are you really that stupid?

fact: no matter how fast your spin your intake fan, the air will not cool down, as a matter of fact it might even heat up if its getting compressed
(trying to explain this scientifically to you doesnt seem to be worth it, i highly doubt you would get it, but just to give you something to think about: why would turbocharged cars need an intercooler if the air cools down anyway while being compressed)

anyway, do you think you can compare this with cooling headwind while riding a bicycle? YOU CANNOT, whats cooling while cylcing is not the speed of the wind but the sweat on your skin, the faster you go the faster it evaporates*, for this it needs energy (in this case: your body temperature)

and then theres one last thing: your cpu generate heat, lets say 50W, constantly!, how does this depend on the fanspeed?

to sum it up: your posts are full of crap
Quote from speedway :okay, so your room temperature is 20°C, what do you think how cold the air gets as it is sucked into the case? -2°C as shown in your picture?

the 51°C is supposed to be some bug but you believe the -2°C without any doubts, are you really that stupid?

Actually, no. The -2 is also a bug. I thought that would be self explanatory, but evidently not to some people...

Quote from speedway :fact: no matter how fast your spin your intake fan, the air will not cool down, as a matter of fact it might even heat up if its getting compressed
(trying to explain this scientifically to you doesnt seem to be worth it, i highly doubt you would get it, but just to give you something to think about: why would turbocharged cars need an intercooler if the air cools down anyway while being compressed)

Yes, with the fan running higher it will produce more cold air. Try it yourself. Put your hand in front of a fan that's turned off, or running very low. It will be warm air. Now turn the fan up full. Cold air. Kinda simple, no? And a fan running at these kinds of speeds won't compress air. For example, if I remove the side panel of the PC (thereby making the pressure equal to outside the case), then fan will cool the air just as much. Granted it won't cool the components as well, but that's due to a 2*2 foot hole in the side of the case And I never said that air cools when it compresses. Don't put words into my mouth.

Quote from speedway :and then theres one last thing: your cpu generate heat, lets say 50W, constantly!, how does this depend on the fanspeed?

My CPU produces the same heat all the time also, that's true (well, technically no. Under 100% load it's going to produce a lot more heat. But that's irrelevant). But by blowing more (and colder) air past it, the air coming out is cooler (and thereby, the interior of the case will be cooler). Again, to try this, turn all the fans off in your PC, run it for an hour, and marvel at how the case is warm inside (and the air coming out the back, or what little there would be due to no fan). Then turn on the fans for an hour, and it will be cool inside. And also the air coming out the back will have the same effect.

Quote from speedway :anyway, do you think you can compare this with cooling headwind while riding a bicycle? YOU CANNOT, whats cooling while cylcing is not the speed of the wind but the sweat on your skin, the faster you go the faster it condensates, for this it needs energy (in this case: your body temperature)

My PC ain't sweating, so sweat shouldn't be an issue. I never even mentioned headwind on a bicycle. But since you ask, you don't need sweat to be cooled down when cycling. Try cycling down a large hill, you'll see the faster you go (without having to exert any more energy, or sweat) the cooler you'll become, without sweating.

If what your saying is correct (which it so obviously isn't...) then having fans on a PC makes absolutely no difference, as the air will be the same temperature whether or not the fan is on.

Quote from speedway :to sum it up: your posts are full of crap

My posts may sometimes be full of crap, but at least I attempt to understand what's been written
Quote from dougie-lampkin : Try it yourself. Put your hand in front of a fan that's turned off, or running very low. It will be warm air. Now turn the fan up full. Cold air.

okay

-hand in front of fan
=> water particles on my skin evaporate
=> absorbs energy (body temperature)
=> it FEELS cold

however the fact that it FEELs cold (which i never doubted) doesnt change anything on the fact that the air in front and behind the fan has still the same temperature

What you are implying is that temperature got lost while being sucked through the fan. Since temperature is messurement for the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, energy got lost! If it didnt get lost, where did it go? Congratulations, you just threw 160years of physics overboard. LOL at those retards who always thought energy cant get lost but only transfered from one state to another.
I ain't going to pretend I know how temperature works on the molecular level - I don't. But if I put another object (not my hand...) in front of the fan, say the can for example. After a while, it gets colder. OK, not exactly freezing temperature. But still, lower than room temperature.

And in that case, how does a heater work? The temperature of the air around it gets hotter, does that mean energy was lost (or gained, whichever way) there? The same thing with a freezer. If I leave the door of my freezer open, the air around it gets cooler. So was energy lost there too? Why should a fan be any different?

My fan control yokey has two temperature probes. You're saying if I leave one outside the case (room temperature), it would be the same as one behind the fan? (I would try but the probes are buried deep within the nest of cabling in the hidden part of the case. Could take hours to get them out without taking the whole thing apart, which would also take several hours :schwitz
I'm afraid speedway has stomped all over you warm fuzzy chi with hard science fact.

The fans just replace the warm air (heated up by all the hot gubbins inside) inside your case with cool(er) air from outside. The cooling effect totally depends on the temperature in your room; the fans don't really cool the incoming air at all.
Hmm...fair enough. But I'll still keep my chocolate in there, it's handy (Plus I don't care what you say, it is cooler. Even in summer I can keep a bar there for a whole day and it won't melt )
Thanks for the link, I see what you mean now (Although my original point of the fans cooling me when turned up, and the PC's heat warming me when the fans are turned down still stands, just the way I tried to explain it was wrong...).

Answer 6 mentions wind chill though, could this be the reason the chocolate stays cool(ish)?
no, wind chill is not the answer either. because the surrounding air is warm (we're talking about your choclate bar here) when you point a fan at it, the bar then get bombarded with cooler air. try putting the top of your wrist (not the vainy side) infront of the fan, you will then feel a more accurate temperature. this is because the back of your wrist doesn't sweat as much as the palm of your hand which will give you a false temperature. think about it. i'm doing it now as i type this. the air feels cool when i put my hand infront of the fan, but it feels warm when i use the back of my wrist.
the fact that your chocolate bar doesn't melt in pointless. cooler air (from outside of the chasis) is being blown over the bar which is surrounded with warmer air (from inside the chasis)
i'm not 100% down with temperatures but i do not pretend to know something i don't. maybe you were caught out telling stories?
Nah, I've said I don't know nout about temperature at this level. But I have had chocolate in the cage before, and it doesn't melt, even in summer. I don't have any on me at the moment (diabetes and all...), but if I did I'd glady put it in for a couple of hours and you'd see
im not gonna stand on any1's side here... but i find this topic very interesting questions will come l8r
IMO (and probs wrong) i think it's the moisture in the air being cooler than the moisture on the chocolate bar. i always thought air didn't have a temperature and that it was the foreign particles (like dust/dirt and water)that held the heat.
Probbably can act as a form of 'insulation' making things hotter.
S14 I came up with a longer reply but then thought there's no real need. All I will say is lose the sympathy vote. I work all day too you know, when you've got bills to pay for thousands of pounds, £100 doesn't seem that much.

I don't know if you live away from home, but there's a BIG difference between earning because you want things, and earning because you have to pay bills.

And yes one of my Core 2 Duo CPUs does idle around 60. I do know what I'm talking about.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Well, working 41 hours a week + unpaid voluntary overtime for £2.73 an hour does often put you in touch with the real world.

Diddums, you're not a working man are you? Don't pay any bills and the low wage is because you're choosing to do a job that is interesting/your being trained in and are not very good at instead of doing something that pays well because your parents still pay for everything but the odd luxury? Consider yourself lucky and stop making up bullshit about things you don't know about just because you're jealous.
This thread is closed

My Watercooling Kit
(117 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG