The online racing simulator
Demolition Derby
(59 posts, started )
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :It's been done a few times, my favourite being the Get Wrecked series, not just because I designed lots of the tracks and actually won one of the series, but because it was great fun with everyone on teamspeak and you got penalties for not hitting cars.

Have you got any links (like forum links or something) that give info about these series? I'm just interested in looking at them, that's all
I don't know if they are still running, it was some time ago now. I did have a few highlights videos, but they were lost serveral PC's ago. But it followed the basic format you suggested, races on autocross tracks, then big arena battles.
Ok, is there ANYONE here who has it in interest to start a server with a Destruction Derby layout where it's all about crashing in rounds?
cap 24´s server

or demo racing or crashing (sometimes there are more crashes in race servers than in crash servers xD)
Yikes, busy thread and in such a short time.

There is a crashing carpark, probably more than one. I run one simply called CarPark in demo mode. It clearly states in the welcome that its "full contact permitted".People do come on the server and whine about being crashed, they also get told to leave and read the welcome again. I have an intention to open another full contact host called "last man standing"(title speaks for its self), maybe in the skidpan this time. Tim_J_23, your welcome to be a part of it, I could always use some help.

I can't say I have thought about layouts much, I did consider a figure 8 but its not gone past consideration.
But demo cars suck, you want some action in FXO, RB4 etc :P more fun
Quote from orange_boy_uk :But demo cars suck, you want some action in FXO, RB4 etc :P more fun

This is why I am planning on making one in the skidpan. I do like to cater for demo users though, I was one until a few days ago. Before anyone asks, yes the idea was inspired by sumo.
Daz815's (Dazmyster on here) server from time to time has the bigger cars (RB4, FXO, XRT, FZ5) allowed. It's a lot of fun to have the bigger cars and smaller cars together, a few brave souls out in the XFGs and UF1s

*edit* it's also really nice to see a positive thread about banger racing/demolition derbies on here for once
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :But it followed the basic format you suggested, races on autocross tracks, then big arena battles.

Awesome!
What I was thinking of though was to use some of the layouts that have been created for various tracks (like this one for the Blackwood Rallycross made by Gekkibi) and put them into a sort of league.

Quote from mookie427 :*edit* it's also really nice to see a positive thread about banger racing/demolition derbies on here for once

+1
Quote from Psysim :Yikes, busy thread and in such a short time.

There is a crashing carpark, probably more than one. I run one simply called CarPark in demo mode. It clearly states in the welcome that its "full contact permitted".People do come on the server and whine about being crashed, they also get told to leave and read the welcome again. I have an intention to open another full contact host called "last man standing"(title speaks for its self), maybe in the skidpan this time. Tim_J_23, your welcome to be a part of it, I could always use some help.

I can't say I have thought about layouts much, I did consider a figure 8 but its not gone past consideration.

Yes I would love to be a part of it. Infact we could make a Figure 8 jump race.
That is jumps where collisions happens in the air.
Quote from Jon606 :Awesome!
What I was thinking of though was to use some of the layouts that have been created for various tracks (like this one for the Blackwood Rallycross made by Gekkibi) and put them into a sort of league.

+1

We did run with track layouts, we did a blackwood one that used the main straight, with lots of jumps in it.

This is the only clip I could find of the Get Wrecked series, quite a funny one though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lfY8NFpJv4
Quote from Tim_J_23 :
It's both fun and good when taking out agressions.

Nooo! Aggressive behaviour doesn't relieve aggreassion in reality..

Though what do I know, I've just failed in my psychology exam. So scrap that, go bangering
Quote from hyntty :Nooo! Aggressive behaviour doesn't relieve aggreassion in reality..

Though what do I know, I've just failed in my psychology exam. So scrap that, go bangering

I get aggressive, I do so I need to take it out somewhere and besides, it's fun to do DD
Quote from hyntty :Nooo! Aggressive behaviour doesn't relieve aggreassion in reality..

I does do something useful though, due to my experiance in banger racing I can recover from crashes and drive damaged cars much better than I used to. Also it's much harder to deliberately wreck me, because I am used to dodging cars attempting to ram me off a circuit.

If someone made a proper banger racing server, with none of those evil barriers that put you into orbit, and a proper insim running to control the events, then I would be on it all the time.
Quote from Tim_J_23 :I get aggressive, I do so I need to take it out somewhere

No, that's what most people get wrong. You need to go out in the garden smelling flowers and drink camomile tea. If you start taking out the aggression (=projecting it on something/someone else) you'll only get more aggressive :nerd:
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :If someone made a proper banger racing server, with none of those evil barriers that put you into orbit, and a proper insim running to control the events, then I would be on it all the time.

+10,000, but a complex insim isn't really needed (LFSLapper is the only real insim the servers use) because the events are run well by the server admins.
Also, lol @ that Get Wrecked video.
You need the insim, people like to cheat, it's fine if you just have some friends in a private game, but you can't rely on an admin to be there 24/7, and if you leave it up in times where you don't have one, and people start cheating, then it gets a bad reputation.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :You need the insim, people like to cheat, it's fine if you just have some friends in a private game, but you can't rely on an admin to be there 24/7, and if you leave it up in times where you don't have one, and people start cheating, then it gets a bad reputation.

I see what you mean now - I thought you were talking just about the meetings themselves, not the whole server.
on both Cap's and Daz's servers, if say someone decides to race the wrong way round the track (big no-no) we save the replay then post it on the relevant forum for the admin to administer warning or ban if necessary. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. People (like me) who are regular racers in the servers also tend to enforce the rules if people come in and start cheating, acting stupid etc etc. We tell them the rules and generally they change their behaviour

The only thing that is a persistant problem is the lag that some people have!
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I did have a few highlights videos, but they were lost serveral PC's ago.

I loved your video with the Drowning Pool song.

I think it was from the very first season.
Quote from zeugnimod :I loved your video with the Drowning Pool song.

I think it was from the very first season.

They were fun videos, wish I still had them, but a folder got corrupted when I tried to put it on my external hard drive, and I didn't realise until it was too late, so they are lost now.
OK, it may seem like a bit of a "go slow" but I am now working on a Destruction Derby style figure 8 layout with mid are collisions possible. In design I have realized that the idea is not just good but possibly just short of genius! Introducing ramps instantly solves issues of "wrong way" driving, even though in some games you would want to have a head to head collision, I think I would prefer keeping total destruction a little more challenging.

Tim, I hope this layout will be complete tonight, making it is easyish, accuracy is more of a difficulty.
Oki, sweet mate!

Uhm ... I'm going to be on as admin as much as I can so maybe make some fun stuff.
I can make some layouts too and then you can try that =)
just be aware that there are 2 very popular banger racing servers online already, one of which uses a figure 8 layout from time to time
Which is the main problem, they are more like racing servers that allow a little bit more contact. We need a proper arena venue, with no annoying barriers to send cars into orbit.

Demolition Derby
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG