The online racing simulator
Turn 5 in westhill
(38 posts, started )
I couldn't agree more. Thats one of the places i go off most...just catch that back left wheel and you're gone.

I think kerbs would help you get a better visual reference which is what I think causes most people to go off, its so hard to see the sides of the track cuz its so wide and flat and you're so low.

I would LOVE some kerbs there
I want a kerb there yes. People say it is fine without.... but think if it did have one. You'd still have the error of going off the track (only it would happen when you are pushing it), it just wouldn't be like we have it now where you touch it just a tad from being so oblivious to where the edge of the track is. Because with one you'd have a far safer race, since I find people sliding out there are lot and it can cause accidents/ruin races.

It just feels very underdeveloped or lacking in that whole spot as a matter of fact, Westhill needs just a few minor touch ups
#28 - Vain
I did some 100 laps more on Westhill since the last post.
Turn 5 is perfectly okay the way it is because you know the layout from the tyres on the inside of the turn. You can perfectly place the apex using these marks.
You just shouldn't try to go 5cm beside the grass on the exit. That's the difference between a senseful driver and a maniac.
And a curb won't help maniacs. Only sense does.

Vain
Every corner on every race track (Dedicated not street) should have kerbs on the entrance, apex and exit of the corner
because...
Quote from Breizh :because...

Because they should!
In racing, you adapt your driving to the track, not adapt the track to your driving. Unless it is a serious flaw, you don't change a configuration just because you want to go around a turn faster or without needing to lift.
Not all tracks do. I've raced at kart tracks which meet MSA standards and they've not had kerbs on the exit of some corners. I love that corner as it is at Westhill because it's a real corner. None of this green tarmac or kerbs to 'help'.

One good example of a kart track which I raced at had two flat out corners with no kerb on the exit. What a great feeling it was to build up my confidence on that corner. The first few times I went round that section of track it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. In real life it adds to the excitment. I did actually clip a wet patch once on that corner and had one of them spins where you catch it but it swings in the oposite direction and hit the pit entrance hard. Bent the rear bumper hard against the rear tyres :| It didn't do me any good either, went the whole day at school complaining about my back

I feel these sort of corners really do lack in real life circuits. A lot of the great tracks are chagning everything and making it far easier for drivers to get off with mistakes.

Keiran
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Yes in a way but no in another. Depending how wide this kerb is it might not be as much of a challenge to take. For example you might be able to get through it flat out without as much risk of hitting the grass because you have extra width to the track and thus being within the limit of the car. Rather than puting the car on its limit. Then for the F08 you will always have the risk of flying off the track at that corner because of the speed you can carry

Keiran
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#35 - JJ72
Quote from NetDemon01 :Hmm, what happened to the whole "LFS should be treated like real life racing" type of theme around here? Come on now, can you alter race tracks in real life just because you don't like a corner? ;-)

Yes, it's not rare that they alternate of even resurface sections on the track due to driver's safety concern, I remember a coupe of times they did it in F1, hack Ferrari even moved the starting line on indianapolis because the pole position is on a strip of bricks!!
It seems that a curb might be making things too easy, but some sort of visual reference would be helpful. How about, oh I don't know, perhaps a large tree placed thoughtfully on the exit?
Maybe i was wrong i have trained a lot on westhill and i m now going
throught it full speed almost all the time,a little visual help would be
more confortable IMO.
I don't take it flat in the FOX, doesn't mean I want a curb to give me an extra safety net and let me be able to do so.

The curbs are already far to tolerant in LFS, IRL you never clip curbs or race on them (particuarly the green netting) in single seaters.

Turn 5 in westhill
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG