The online racing simulator
fps is pretty bad
(25 posts, started )
fps is pretty bad
Hey, I have been playing, and I have personally optomized all of my game settings to get the meximum FPS, but it really isnt that good. I get a max of ~ 50, and it gets as low as 6 with only a few other cars. I looked at my texture size, and it says im using 48megabytes on textures. But I dont see how this is posible. Could I half size/ 1/4 sizw all of my dds files to get better frame rates?
any suggestions? and buying something isn't really an option.
What are the specs on your computer? It's normal for an older computer to get around 50 fps, and there's not much you can do about it I'm afraid. If you have a new computer and you're getting 50 fps then I would be worried.

Lowering the size of your textures will not make a noticeable difference. However, to improve performance, go in the LFS -> Options -> Graphics menu and put all the options to their lowest values. Also, go in the control panel for your video card and under the 3D section set all options to their lowest value. Hope this helps.
You could provide more info to help work out what your best possible framerate could/should be.
  • What CPU?
  • What graphics card?
  • How much RAM
  • Motherboard?
48MB textures sounds fine to me. Its unlikely you get a huge framerate improvement by resizing your dds files, and have LFS still look reasonably good.

So frames drop to 6 with how many cars exactly? How many is "a few"?

I got:
MSI P965 Motherboard
E6400 Core Duo @ 2.4 GHz
ATI 4850 Graphics
4G RAM

I have my framerate capped at 100. Thats where it sits all the time. Hmm, well maybe goes down to 60-70 when at start with 20 or so other cars. I don't really look anymore, its never noticeable.

Have you got AA and/or AF turned on? Turning any of these off will lift your framerate.

Make sure no other CPU-intensive processes are running while you race LFS.

Provide some info about your hardware so people with similar hardware can compare and respond.
ok, A few, i mean 6 other than me it gets to 6 fps, 4 and it's like 13...
Dell Dimension b110
2.53GHz Intel Celeron D 325 processor (533 FSB), Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2
512 MB SDRAM
This is my mother board:
http://www.ascendtech.us/itemd ... 4DELWF887&eq=&Tp=

Quote :
Lowering the size of your textures will not make a noticeable difference. However, to improve performance, go in the LFS -> Options -> Graphics menu and put all the options to their lowest values. Also, go in the control panel for your video card and under the 3D section set all options to their lowest value. Hope this helps.

Where can I find this at exactly?
thanks guys.
EDIT
heres a pic of my GFX card, holy cow my computer sucks...

You need update your PC (new Graphic card and 2gb of RAM)
Graphic card is the real issue here...
yup, I figured as much, my computer is crap...
oh well, it plays decent i suppose
Well, you're getting as much as you could hope for with this hardware. Unfortunately, upgrading your graphics card with this motherboard (no pci-Express, no AGP) is not possible either.

Sorry about the bad news.
It does have 3 PCI slots though. There are prolly a few on ebay and if you go for a high end one will probably prove much better than integrated intel nonsense.
There are high-tech graphic cards on PCI-nonexpress?
Dell - There's your problem.
The crap hardware they ship with their new PC's is good for playing Bejeweled if your lucky.
Quote from teedot :Dell - There's your problem.
The crap hardware they ship with their new PC's is good for playing Bejeweled if your lucky.

My 7 year old Dell gets average 50 FPS with full AA/AF with stock hardware config. With 2GB RAM and a slightly better processor (3Ghz as opposed to 2.4) it averages 100. And it's only a standard Dimension. Dell do make good PCs, but just not very often

But yea, you need a new PC really. To upgrade the graphics card (PCI isn't really a viable option. It's an improvement, but in a few months that will be too outdated again), you'd need to get a new motherboard, and then you'd most likely have to get a new processor and RAM. Which is almost a new PC And of course, the new motherboard probably won't fit in the case, as the old Dells used weird sizes. Looking at a Google pic of the case, it's almost the same as my old Dell, apart from the front panel. My new motherboard doesn't fit in the Dell
Quote from dougie-lampkin :My 7 year old Dell gets average 50 FPS with full AA/AF with stock hardware config. With 2GB RAM and a slightly better processor (3Ghz as opposed to 2.4) it averages 100. And it's only a standard Dimension. Dell do make good PCs, but just not very often

But yea, you need a new PC really. To upgrade the graphics card (PCI isn't really a viable option. It's an improvement, but in a few months that will be too outdated again), you'd need to get a new motherboard, and then you'd most likely have to get a new processor and RAM. Which is almost a new PC And of course, the new motherboard probably won't fit in the case, as the old Dells used weird sizes. Looking at a Google pic of the case, it's almost the same as my old Dell, apart from the front panel. My new motherboard doesn't fit in the Dell

Dont get me wrong, the old Dells ... especially my old Dell (Dimension 8250)... i had upgraded the PSU and ran an X800 and a gig of ram (that friggin pricey RAMBUS ram too... since thats what it reqd) ... it got a steady 60fps in most games of the time...Had a CRT then so i was only running 1280x1024 (i think) no AA or AF cause it choked it a little, but i was still pretty pleased with it...

But the stuff they're coming out with now... is just laughable. They're using BTX even after Intel abandoned the architecture (albeit BTX has very good thermal benefits).... The power supplies are not enough to run any of today's decent video cards... not to mention you actually have to hack and slash at the case internals in order to fit anything larger than a 9800pro into it since the cpu cooler is the size of a city block. They were still using DDR-500 last time I checked... and most of the time they are shipping systems with 5400rpm SATA hard drives by default (unless you pick something else).... pathetically slow drives... (I have a 5400rpm SATA drive as a backup mirror of my main drive and it is noticeably slower than a 7200rpm drive at loading just about anything.)... anyways that's my rant about Dell.. take it as you please

EDIT: OMG I just noticed his video card only supports directx 7 :ices_rofl
oh ya you need to buy a new pc.
I will definitely agree on the PSU though, after installing a second HDD I couldn't have more than 4 USB devices plugged in at the same time And the CPU cooler. Except it's not really a cooler, just a slab of green plastic that directs air from the heatsink up to the "general direction" of the single exhaust fan. Thereby blocking the fan, and it being the only fan in the PC, everything else runs at 2x the normal temperature. Dell != thermal physics.

The new ones are moderately better. But only slightly.
the dx7 isnt true, i have dx9 now and it's fine. thanks for the info guys, unfortunately a new computer isnt an option.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :What are the specs on your computer? It's normal for an older computer to get around 50 fps, and there's not much you can do about it I'm afraid. If you have a new computer and you're getting 50 fps then I would be worried.

My laptops not even a year old! Your lucky if i will get more than 20! on a start line i get away down to 4-5 and ALWAYS get bad starts but i have already posted my specs and know i can't expect alot from them
Quote from RE Amemiya :Could I half size/ 1/4 sizw all of my dds files to get better frame rates?

You can test this in 5 seconds!

There is an option for this : Options... Graphics... Textures (excluding skins) [low res / high res]

The low res option divides your textures by 2 in each direction, so they are a quarter of the size.

On older cards this does help frame rate. There is no need to change the actual dds files.
Thanks Scawen, I already knew about this though... I was thinking like 256x256 everything or smaller... thanks everyone, IT does run decent but I can't win races because it lags me to death when im about to pass most of the time.
Quote from Scawen :You can test this in 5 seconds!

There is an option for this : Options... Graphics... Textures (excluding skins) [low res / high res]

The low res option divides your textures by 2 in each direction, so they are a quarter of the size.

On older cards this does help frame rate. There is no need to change the actual dds files.

I know my lappy had only integrated graph card that only generates a small 3D accelerator or sometimes it doesn't show 3D vertex.

I also have a the same problem in my laptop having a low FPS in some curves and at the start grid when loaded with 8 AI including my player.

Is there another way or option to adjust or configure any config file to prevent it from lags having a low FPS?
In you advice, I always set my texture at LowRes but i still get a low FPS.
Quote from Deejayyaj :I know my lappy had only integrated graph card that only generates a small 3D accelerator or sometimes it doesn't show 3D vertex.

I also have a the same problem in my laptop having a low FPS in some curves and at the start grid when loaded with 8 AI including my player.

Is there another way or option to adjust or configure any config file to prevent it from lags having a low FPS?
In you advice, I always set my texture at LowRes but i still get a low FPS.

Exactly the same problem as me...The way im going to solve it, is a new DESKTOP Computer
well, I noticed that in Blackwood start grid you'll get this low fps loaded with 8AI, but in different tracks? well it does fine even with 8AI's lucky to get a good start at 14-16 fps like in Fernbay you'll get a high fps. But in Blackwood and South City track it generate low... hhmmm bad thing using a integrated video card is we can't upgrade the video card.

But if there is a way to tweak a configuration file to get a minimum stable fps... like for example minimum of 10 fps, so that would be good for 8 players.

Maybe soon i'll just get the best NVIDIA card for my desktop coz in my desktop, I only have 256mb and 64mb in my lappy. Maybe that will be my last option.
from what i have been told (i cant confirm myself as i have gone from a really old to a brand new up to date card) the ATI Radeon cards are a lot better in LFS than an nvidia card of the same spec.
It is very hard to really make a comparison between racing against AIs and racing online with other racers because if you are racing online, all your computer has to do is process what your car is doing, and display the other cars on-screen. If racing with AIs, your comp has to not only display the other cars, but control everything they do too. This uses so much more of your computers resources. Online with say 14 cars i can now get about 50 or 60 fps on blackwood. If i try 12 AIs and me on blackwood i get 10 or 15fps.
Quote from danthebangerboy :It is very hard to really make a comparison between racing against AIs and racing online with other racers because if you are racing online, all your computer has to do is process what your car is doing, and display the other cars on-screen. If racing with AIs, your comp has to not only display the other cars, but control everything they do too. This uses so much more of your computers resources. Online with say 14 cars i can now get about 50 or 60 fps on blackwood. If i try 12 AIs and me on blackwood i get 10 or 15fps.

Yes, that's true. When LFS has to calculate everything for every AI, it eats CPU for breakfast. That, and layouts, are the main pulls on CPU. That's why it's recommended to have the highest clocked CPU you can, and not necessarily multi-core.
Well, i used the search function to look for this kind of problem...
My PC specs:
INTEL CORE 2 QUAD 2.66 GHZ 12MB
4Gb RAM
Nvidia 8800GTX
Motherboard: ASUS P5W 64 WS Professional

So, i've been playing with this hardware for a few weeks without any problems... Yesterday the frame rate began to drop when i had more then 2 cars close to mine.
Nothing changed, i didn't change anything anywhere, i have no problem at all with any other game (most of them "heavier" then LFS) running them with everything at max.
When i launch the game, the frame rate goes around 100, but as soon as i leave the pits or some other car approaches, the frame rate drops to 10, 5 and even 2 FPS!
I downloaded and installed more recent drivers, reinstalled the game itself, tried lowering the graphic options to minimum, asked around, and i can't figure out what on earth is wrong with this thing.
If anyone knows how to solve this problem, please post something.
Thanks in advance.

fps is pretty bad
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG