The online racing simulator
Drastic changes to Spa Francorchamp
excuse me while I vomit.
i doubt it, if its too long they can just change to the shorter layout, not to mention its probably the most legendary track on the calander and changing it would be suicide.
Excuse me, I have to puke :vomit:

Is this another one of Tilke's ideas?
Wasn't this suggested as a national circuit a few years back? Maybe it's appropriate for touring cars but Spa isn't really too long. That would be stupid for F1.
I think that would actually make the track too short for F1 wouldn't it?
Having driven on this track, I really don't care about corner 15 and 16, but leaving out Pouhon would be pure blasphemy! That's why I don't believe anything like that is going to happen...
Although they did swap the last chicane which compared to the older bus stop is crap in my opinion, at least in road cars...
...I'm going to be sick.
This people should go to the Valencia Street Circuit instead, there are a lot of things they have to change there. Leave Spa as it is please..
The Track is big, it's just the long curves and straights that make the laptimes so short. If a FIA GT car can get around it in 2:20, then it isn't long.
"Spa Francorchamps could change again next year, and this time drastically. The FIA wouldn't be very happy with the long length of the circuit. To the dissapointment of the fans (who see the cars come by a lot less often than at other circuits) there's never a 'parade lap' after the race. The circuit would get completely changed from Pouhon up to the Busstop Chicane by simply putting down a straight road. The current circuit would remain to exist, but not for F1. So Fagnes, Stavelot and Blanchimont would be scrapped.

There are also talks that corner 11 (Bruxelles) would be redesigned into a slower and less sharp turn. This last change at least seems a very likely scenario. Work is already going in that zone: forest has been cut away and the differences in height has been done away with."

The Belgium website and the German motorsporttotal website are usually reliable sources, we will see if other F1 websites are going to cover the news to in the coming days.
As you say, wait until the better known F1 sites or newspapers start to cover the story, then see if it's in F1 magazines, and then if it's on the F1 TV shows. Until then I won't believe it for an instant with respect to F1. It could be useful for slower catagories though.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I think that would actually make the track too short for F1 wouldn't it?

The minimum is 3.5 kilometres (200 metres longer than Blackwood). Spa is now 6.976. There was a similar circuit proposal of around 5.8 km, I'd suggest that that one would be around 5 km. Not too long. But woeful.

Spa itself is fine for F1 cars and the big machinery, however a little car circuit option that cuts off after Eau Rouge might not be such a bad idea.

I reckon that someone has just had a few bottles of Grimbergen triple too many and suggested it, not any real risk of it happening. If it is real, well, I'm going to be angry.
First link talks about how tracks had to be changed because Bernie said so (like Hockenheim) or it would be removed from the calendar (like Silverstone). It then mentions that fans will like the shortcut as they'll be able to see the cars more often because it'll take more laps to complete the 305 km distance of every GP. It then goes on that the changes will take place until the GP next year, but not later than 2010. The then free land could be sold, and the money could be spent on improving safety. It closes with the remark that Bernie now is the promoter and already demanded changes in the past like modernizing the track, changing Bus Stop and La Source and this recent one will be the most drastic...
what the hell are they thinking!?
The track would be too short for F1, I think.

Anyway, I won't believe it until confirmed by more reputable reports.

If it did get changed, F1 fans (and probably fans of other motorsports too) would go bonkers. It's one of the few "real" tracks left on the calendar.
Quote from DevilDare :what the hell are they thinking!?

Something similar to what they were thinking when they decided to interrupt Mulsanne, abolish Hockenheim and Spa's whole bus stop saga.
Just wait few years and Monza will be converted into quarter-mile oval.
Quote from Crommi :Just wait few years and Monza will be converted into quarter-mile oval.

Thus creating Euro-Nascar where DTM style cars are driven by people who idol Jeff Gordon
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Thus creating Euro-Nascar where DTM style cars are driven by people who idol Jeff Gordon

It will be Eurocar, where people drive front-wheel-drive hatchbacks around ovals.

Back on topic:

I just found out Spa used to be a 14km track.
Bad idea, very bad idea.

Remove the section fron Fanges to turn 17 and it might be okay but taking out the Pouhon section would be a bit stupid
FFS wasn't the track good in previous seasons? Why change it now... Ugh..
Quote from deggis :Something similar to what they were thinking when they decided to interrupt Mulsanne

how do you interrupt a corner?
Smack'em with their stupidity! Incredible, what they want to do...
I was always telling (only kidding) that once they gonna do flat straight instead of Eau Rouge, but this is too much. Hope it'll not happen.

Drastic changes to Spa Francorchamp
(117 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG