The online racing simulator
Dashboard Via Phidgets
(23 posts, started )
Dashboard Via Phidgets
Anyone interested in making a Phidgets program so that users can use Phidgets to build a functioning dashboard?

Phidgets are ready to use interfaces that one need only write code for
(www.phidgets.com). if we could Tie Servos and LED's to RPM's speeds and system status that would be a huge step in sim building... functional sim cockpits
Sounds cool. My friend has been having fun working with LCDs and configuring them to read stuff off his computer. I should have him experiment with LFS sometime, it would probably be a lot easier since LFS has all that data outputted very nicely.

Never heard of this Phidgets stuff, but if someone could make a digital thing to make a hi-tech LCD display (like digital RPM bar, and stuff), that would be SWEET!. Would be an interesting project, I'll take note of this for my friend.
Looks like a nice idea ... only if you dont have to make the whole code in assembler
nice idea
I was thinking along the lines of the program getting all the variables from LFS, then letting the driver define what to do with those variables. this way you could do formula style RPM LEDs or use a servo for an analogue Tachometer.
LFS has no programming interface for retrieving real time telemetry / engine data. It can be accessed in a RAF, and could also probably be gleaned if you can find it in memory, but otherwise you are SOL unless something has changed since I last checked.
-
(KeiichiRX7) DELETED by KeiichiRX7
-
(Janni1687) DELETED by Janni1687
Hooray... maybe i CAN make a functioning Formula car wheel after all (started designing a concept in Paint Shop Pro today)

id have to also ask for the ability to bind a live setting to an axis.

as long as i can tell the system what to do with the information i would be happy. If i want to send my vehicle speed to a Phidget's LCD that would do the job for me. In fact i could probably fit everything i need on one LCD. use a bar type tach, digital speedo, fuel and temp indicators, and maybe just one character to make sure teh pit speed limiter is really on
-
tell me more wise one
-
#9 - filur
Seeing how USB has been able to cope with multi-channel MIDI in professional audio production for years, and even multi-channel high quality audio in later years, being able to update an RPM gauge shouldn't be much of a problem in terms of speed, logically.

This consumer level audio interface can record 24bit/96kHz stereo sound in realtime, it's not possible for this thing to have a large enough internal buffer for lengthy recordings, so that's ~288 KB/s thru USB.
-
-
OK Outguage has been released, its time to revive this thread.

I was thinking while waiting, and looking at a program called FS2Phidget. its an interfacing progaf for taking data from MSFS and feeding it to phidgets. its its particularly neat because it lets you sort thru the variables to find the one you want, then you decide what to do with it yourself, by telling the program what to do with it. for instance, you could find teh RPM variable and define a series of lights to light up as teh RPM's increase, ala F1

(sorry about typos, my pc isnt keeping up right now and im typing into the buffer)

ayway i thought this would be a neat idea for LFS because then anyone could do anything they wanted to build an LFS cockpit with almost no programming knowledge, jsut setting up the LFS2Phidget priogram and testing it till itperforms as desired. like setting a fuel warning light, or temp warning light. logging of data (an external function, but still propbably possible in this kind of application)

Thoughts?
I might just give this thing a shot, owen. Give me some time to scrape some money togeather and buy this thing. The programing itself should be pretty easy.
No idea, looks vaguely like the Frex dash, but its certainly not Phidgets based.

and here you'd gone and gotten my hopes up by posting in my thread
#14 - Gunn
Quote from Tweaker :Sounds cool. My friend has been having fun working with LCDs and configuring them to read stuff off his computer. I should have him experiment with LFS sometime, it would probably be a lot easier since LFS has all that data outputted very nicely.

Never heard of this Phidgets stuff, but if someone could make a digital thing to make a hi-tech LCD display (like digital RPM bar, and stuff), that would be SWEET!. Would be an interesting project, I'll take note of this for my friend.

A friend of mine is currently investigating the possibilities of driving LEDs from LFS for various dashboard features. We've also discussed fuel warnings, radio messages, tachometers, temperature guages and other various alarms and indicators.
We've talked about USB and serial connectors.
Not sure if this will ever bear fruit but if it does the info and method will be shared publicly.
Quote from Gunn :We've talked about USB and serial connectors.

If you have LPT, you may try this (self promotion :shy.
#17 - Gunn
Quote from Kada_CZ :If you have LPT, you may try this (self promotion :shy.

Sorry, I don't follow links to RSC.
Quote from Gunn :Sorry, I don't follow links to RSC.

Ok, I made an ugly GI homepage (I hate html). I don't know your motivation to not follow liks to RSC, but I would probably created the page outside RSC anyway. You just pushed me to do that :-).
you guys seem to have missed the point that phidgets are nicely modular and easy to configure, little to no soldering required, and are USB, little to no risk to destroy your machine
#20 - Gunn
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :you guys seem to have missed the point that phidgets are nicely modular and easy to configure, little to no soldering required, and are USB, little to no risk to destroy your machine

No, I didn't miss the point. Currently I'm using breadboards and while it is way cheaper for me to make my own modules up, the Phidgets solution is quick and easy. I think it's a great little niche for them and quite possibly I will try their stuff in the future.

Quote from Kada_CZ :Ok, I made an ugly GI homepage (I hate html). I don't know your motivation to not follow liks to RSC, but I would probably created the page outside RSC anyway. You just pushed me to do that :-).

Thanks for the new link For the record, I don't follow RSC links because that place is a shithole.

I've bookmarked your page for later reference.
Gunn, that has the be the most Non PC gray text ever!
#22 - Gunn
Quote from Dygear :Gunn, that has the be the most Non PC gray text ever!

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment friend.
Got a response from a programmer over at the phidgets forum. Looks like the work is going to be ridiculously expensive, and I'd have to send 1 of every kind of phidget i intend to use for this.

Unless you guys are willing to help me raise some cash, I'm gonn aahve to wait for another programemr to come along into my web

(current beer count: 3)

Dashboard Via Phidgets
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG