The online racing simulator
How would i cut aluminium straight?
(36 posts, started )
Hi guys, i've got a sheet of Aluminium T6 6082 3MM, and i need to cut a long straight line down it, well a few straight lines.
Basically what tools shall i use. I was thinking a hacksaw, then smoothen it out with a dremel.
The reason is i'm making a chassis for my CUstom Twin engine Remote control car project.

Thanks
Harjun
Most people on a computer game forum probably don't know stuff about this - me included. Try an RC forum or a DIY forum.
#3 - ajp71
A guillotine or if that isn't possible scribe a straight line and use a pair of aviation snips, taking care to note siding and remove the excess material before doing the final cut to ensure that it doesn't crease the edge (you will probably need to do several cuts with 3mm aluminum but it should be cut).

EDIT - If you've got tin snips use them (I presume you don't seeing as your asking), if not get a pair of aviation snips because they are a bit cheaper for a decent pair and useful if you want to cut corners.
Quote from mcintyrej :Most people on a computer game forum probably don't know stuff about this - me included. Try an RC forum or a DIY forum.

oh, its just that normally my questions do get a good answer on this forum, and i find out what i need to know, so thanks for the idea, but i'll stick to what i've got thanks mate
#5 - JJ72
actually many race sim people do RCs.
It's a sheet? what are the dimensions?

If you have access to a band saw I would use that. Provided you feel comfortable using it. And of course if the sheet is not very large.
#7 - ajp71
Quote from AjRose :It's a sheet? what are the dimensions?

If you have access to a band saw I would use that. Provided you feel comfortable using it. And of course if the sheet is not very large.

Band saws are the most annoying tools ever invented, they're all noisy and slow, the horizontal table hand fed ones are hard to cut things accurately and give a rubbish finish and the blade comes out of the automated/gravity fed one I've had the pleasure of using all the time. They're never a good solution to any problem and if you have access to one I would expect you've probably got a guillotine anyway
Quote from ajp71 :Band saws are the most annoying tools ever invented, they're all noisy and slow, the horizontal table hand fed ones are hard to cut things accurately and give a rubbish finish and the blade comes out of the automated/gravity fed one I've had the pleasure of using all the time. They're never a good solution to any problem and if you have access to one I would expect you've probably got a guillotine anyway

I've never actually used a guillotine before. And I'm not sure it could be used to cut sheets efficiently.

But I do have a pretty heavy duty industrial band saw so It's not your average black and decker pos. But I do agree they are noisy.
I'd say, very carefully.

If you don't have the tools, or access to them, just find a local machine shop.
Well, i'll have a go at what you said ajp, thanks...
The sheet is 500mm x 500mm, the chassis is only like 170mm wide anyway, and a bit less than 500mm long. That means i can make 3 chassis out of it.

I was thinking a hacksaw though, that would be easiest for me. What would you guys think. And when i cut it shall i cut it with the anti-scratch paper still on it? (may seem like a stupid question sorry :shy

Thanks
Harjun
Quote from ajp71 :A guillotine or if that isn't possible scribe a straight line and use a pair of aviation snips, taking care to note siding and remove the excess material before doing the final cut to ensure that it doesn't crease the edge (you will probably need to do several cuts with 3mm aluminum but it should be cut).

EDIT - If you've got tin snips use them (I presume you don't seeing as your asking), if not get a pair of aviation snips because they are a bit cheaper for a decent pair and useful if you want to cut corners.

Ok, well i mean i've seen aviation snips and Tin snips...but i'm not sure if they'll cut the 3mm aluminium strongest grade alloy.
will one of these do...http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A ... rs-Cutters/Aviation-Snips

Please can you link me to one, but i've only got £35 to spend, but that should do right?
Thanks
Quote from harjun :Ok, well i mean i've seen aviation snips and Tin snips...but i'm not sure if they'll cut the 3mm aluminium strongest grade alloy.
will one of these do...http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A ... rs-Cutters/Aviation-Snips

Please can you link me to one, but i've only got £35 to spend, but that should do right?
Thanks

I don't know the size of your arms but i would not recommend thoose for sheet aluminium of 3mm, I use thoose up to 1.5 mm.

I would buy a tool like the one the picture. Where I live I can get one for approx. 34 pound.

Best regards
Tooby
Attached images
plåtsax.jpg
A kart engine and an overclocked laptop.

D_T.
Quote from harjun :
I was thinking a hacksaw though, that would be easiest for me. What would you guys think. And when i cut it shall i cut it with the anti-scratch paper still on it? (may seem like a stupid question sorry :shy

Cutting straight with a hacksaw is difficult and it will still need finishing. Leave the plastic on it as long as you can.

Quote from harjun :Ok, well i mean i've seen aviation snips and Tin snips...but i'm not sure if they'll cut the 3mm aluminium strongest grade alloy.

Thanks

Those are right, get a sided (left or right) pair, given that you're just cutting big bits of sheet with them you should be able to just get one sided pair (you can turn the sheet over to ensure it cuts on the correct side).

Quote from Tooby :I don't know the size of your arms but i would not recommend thoose for sheet aluminium of 3mm, I use thoose up to 1.5 mm.

I would buy a tool like the one the picture. Where I live I can get one for approx. 34 pound.

Best regards
Tooby

A heavy duty pair can cut through 2mm steel sheet without too much difficulty so long as you take it off in small strips (it all depends on how much you're trying to turn up), I think you could snip 3mm aluminum. Having heard the size of the piece and that you want to get 3 bits side by side (which couldn't be done with snips because there wouldn't be an edge to turn up) I would suggest getting it guillotined is the only sensible way of getting a straight, square cut which doesn't need finishing, mark it out clearly and take it to any local machinist (or school workshop) and they'll be able to do it in seconds and probably won't charge you for it (less than £35 anyway).
You could also try www.rccrawler.com , the guys there know a fair bit about custom frames and other RC parts.

And yes, I'm a RC nut.
Use a Chainsaw.
...or a laser
More seriously, tried using a jigsaw?
Quote from Stefani24 :Use a Chainsaw.
...or a laser
More seriously, tried using a jigsaw?

i've used jigsaws in DT at school, and they are very hard to cut straight.
I think the aviation snips are the best option for me aren't they?
Or do you think the ones Tooby gave a picture to are better. I am pretty hench
You might manage it with a hacksaw, as long as you stay a tiny bit away from the line you want, and then finish it off with a file (not a dremel - you'll never get it straight with a dremel).

The difficulty will be that the frame of the hacksaw will eventually hit the sheet, and you won't be able to cut any more. Depending on the size of your hacksaw you might be able to start from the other side and/or use the hacksaw at a large angle (less efficient, but it'll work).

Oh, and don't touch the blade afterwards. Even cutting something soft, like the plastic clamps on a Momo, will make it get really hot (actually, the plastic made it get hotter than it would with ally). Touch it and you'll look silly. Touch it whilst being filmed with a webcam and you'll look really foolish! I know - I've done it (don't ask if you don't know).
Quote from tristancliffe :You might manage it with a hacksaw, as long as you stay a tiny bit away from the line you want, and then finish it off with a file (not a dremel - you'll never get it straight with a dremel).

The difficulty will be that the frame of the hacksaw will eventually hit the sheet, and you won't be able to cut any more. Depending on the size of your hacksaw you might be able to start from the other side and/or use the hacksaw at a large angle (less efficient, but it'll work).

Oh, and don't touch the blade afterwards. Even cutting something soft, like the plastic clamps on a Momo, will make it get really hot (actually, the plastic made it get hotter than it would with ally). Touch it and you'll look silly. Touch it whilst being filmed with a webcam and you'll look really foolish! I know - I've done it (don't ask if you don't know).

ok then, but i think i'll stick with AJP's ideas of the snippers but i can't find any which will cut the 3mm
Exactly - most DIY snips will only go up to about 16 gauge (1.6mm) with ally, and 18 gauge (1.2mm) with steel.Good luck finding a pair for sensible money that'll cope with 3mm without bending the bejesus out of it.

Stick with a hacksaw if you've got one, or find a local engineering firm with a guillotine that'll do it in 3 seconds for free!
Quote from tristancliffe :Exactly - most DIY snips will only go up to about 16 gauge (1.6mm) with ally, and 18 gauge (1.2mm) with steel.Good luck finding a pair for sensible money that'll cope with 3mm without bending the bejesus out of it.

Stick with a hacksaw if you've got one, or find a local engineering firm with a guillotine that'll do it in 3 seconds for free!

ok i'll stick with a hacksaw unless AJP can find me aviation snips which cut 3mm Ally
#22 - CSU1
lol @ cutting 3mm alu with a snips.

Use a jig-saw AND SET TO LOW SPEED Harjun(ftr I know telling Harjun to use power-tools is loco) Make shure you set up right or there'll be an accident, go out your back garden or something and assemble a solid base to cut the sheet on, wear goggles AND WATCH YOU FINGERS.

Use straight piece of wood(or metal, anything you know for shure is straight and two clamps. Clamp the wood at both ends of the sheet and at the distance from the blade to rest alongside the base of the jigsaw. The wood will guide the jigsaw, have someone hold the off-cut as you go.

Make sure you file the rough edges afterwards.

Quote from CSU1 :lol @ cutting 3mm alu with a snips.

Use a jig-saw AND SET TO LOW SPEED Harjun(ftr I know telling Harjun to use power-tools is loco) Make shure you set up right or there'll be an accident, go out your back garden or something and assemble a solid base to cut the sheet on, wear goggles AND WATCH YOU FINGERS.

Use straight piece of wood(or metal, anything you know for shure is straight and two clamps. Clamp the wood at both ends of the sheet and at the distance from the blade to rest alongside the base of the jigsaw. The wood will guide the jigsaw, have someone hold the off-cut as you go.

Make sure you file the rough edges afterwards.

Ok, nice idea, please can you find me a Jigsaw for under £50
#24 - CSU1
...next door neighbor got one? you must know someone... at worst you could rent one out from a tool shop for ten quid or something

(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG