The online racing simulator
Visible Gear Shifting & Pedal Usage
I think that when you use a shifter, or paddles for that matter the driver should move too!

Same for the legs and peddals

No more explanation required I don't think! :P
This has been suggested many, many times before. Surely you're aware of the search feature considering you mentioned it in your thread yesterday.

How do you propose LFS predicts each shift? It wouldn't know until you actually shifted, which would mean the animation would be delayed and thus pointless. Either that or LFS animates the shift whether you actually do so or not. Say you're going through 2nd but miss 3rd and just sit there on the limiter - the man inside is animated pulling the shifter even though you don't actually shift.

Neither scenario makes any sense. It's a waste of coding time that could be put to much better use elsewhere.
how about putting the hand on the shifter, when near the end revs, and near the lower revs. That would catch most.

I wrote it yesterday? *shrugs*, I need more sleep
I was thinking the same, but to solve the problem of the shifter a bit, I've had an idea:

Scrap the hand movement to the shifter, because, as Lateralus expalined, it will be delayed, but why not make just the shifter move by itself, it will be mostly for replays, still a step forward IMO
To fix the delay, when you approach the shift point, the animation can move down to the gear shift, and once you shift, the game registers, shifts, and puts has hand back onto the wheel until the next shift point arrives.

However, if you hit it to redline and dont shift, he'll have his hand on the gear until YOU shift it.

...Not sure if people get what i mean or not.
Quote from Klutch :To fix the delay, when you approach the shift point, the animation can move down to the gear shift, and once you shift, the game registers, shifts, and puts has hand back onto the wheel until the next shift point arrives.

However, if you hit it to redline and dont shift, he'll have his hand on the gear until YOU shift it.

...Not sure if people get what i mean or not.

...and what if you are short-shifting? Animation on upshifts is only the top of the iceberg, how will you make the animation work on Downshifts? TBH, I don't care about driver animations at all, because I use neither wheel or driver options, but for those who use them, constant useless movements of hands will only distract and annoy IMO
#7 - Woz
It always looks crap in all games that have it, always lags behind the action and the situation is far far worse when you use an H shifter than when you use flappys to shift.

This has come up again and again and every time there has NOT been a good solution that is not a bodge that means the drivers hand stays on the stick far far too long.
You already have a perfectly animated pair of hands and feet operating controls in front of you. Turn the driver and wheel off.
The driver should constantly be driving one handed, just in case.
Doesn't affect gameplay...
Quote from hansonator69 :Doesn't affect gameplay...

neither does languages, graphics updates, dashes... Not everything is game play, eye candy counts for a lot!
Quote from Krammeh :neither does languages, graphics updates, dashes... Not everything is game play, eye candy counts for a lot!

Hah he got you there...
Although I would say language is a part of gameplay...because if you couldn't read it...you wouldn't play.

-1 though at least for right now, I think there should be other priorities right now than shifting animations.
Quote :The driver should constantly be driving one handed, just in case.

This is for increasing realism? Nice.

Personally, I don't feel the need for this update, but for those who do, it might be an idea to have a "prepare for gearshift" button assigned. What this would do, when pressed, is move the driver's hand to the gearstick ready for a shift. This effectively gets rid of the lag problem, but we do still have the issue of predicting H-pattern movements. However, as the only gearsticks in the car interiors that are really finished are the sequential GTRs, maybe we needn't worry just yet.

Sam
Great idea! That would be cool.
Quote from Lateralus :This has been suggested many, many times before. Surely you're aware of the search feature considering you mentioned it in your thread yesterday.

How do you propose LFS predicts each shift? It wouldn't know until you actually shifted, which would mean the animation would be delayed and thus pointless. Either that or LFS animates the shift whether you actually do so or not. Say you're going through 2nd but miss 3rd and just sit there on the limiter - the man inside is animated pulling the shifter even though you don't actually shift.

Neither scenario makes any sense. It's a waste of coding time that could be put to much better use elsewhere.

It can't predict when you are going to turn the steering wheel either
Quote from Dark Elite :This is for increasing realism? Nice.

Personally, I don't feel the need for this update, but for those who do, it might be an idea to have a "prepare for gearshift" button assigned.
Sam

Mapping this button to a switch attached to the shifter should work perfectly Allthough, I don't really know how anyone will put a button on top of the shifter
Quote from [RF]-art555 :Mapping this button to a switch attached to the shifter should work perfectly Allthough, I don't really know how anyone will put a button on top of the shifter

That was actually exactly what I thought

The only possible problem then is keyboard drivers, though, giving them one more button to be pressing wouldn't be very helpful. Ah well, one more incentive to buy a 'wheel

Quote from pacesetter :It can't predict when you are going to turn the steering wheel either

The extremely obvious difference being that whilst the steering wheel is a constant point of contact for the driver's hands and is always being adjusted, the gearstick is a distant control that requires initial movement before use.

Sam
Solution: switch the display of wheel and driver off. Then you can watch the movements of your own hands, feet, wheel and shifter in perfect realism.
#19 - Woz
Quote from pacesetter :It can't predict when you are going to turn the steering wheel either

If you cant see the difference between guessing when you will move your had to the gearstick to shift compared to turning the wheel you should not be posting.

lol
+1
Quote from crashgate3 :you Already Have A Perfectly Animated Pair Of Hands And Feet Operating Controls In Front Of You. Turn The Driver And Wheel Off.

+1
#22 - JJ72
I don't care. never particulary interested in this feature even in games that had them.
Why would you want to add a button, to show your little racing driver self reaching for the gear stick, then making you pull the gear lever. It just adds complication to a feature that is rather pointless. And what if you forget to press the button? Does Scawen's head pop out of nowhere and say "now now, don't forget that animation that you asked for!"?

It would look nice, but it's tedious and pointless in my humble opinion.
Unless you have a full cockpit built, I can't see why you'd turn off the in-game animation. I drive with 720 degrees G25, full manual, but I leave the driver on. Partly because my wheel isn't as big as the monitor, and partly because I don't want to have to gawp down at my wheel to see exactly where it's turning. With in-game driver and wheel on, I can see the tape on the wheel without even taking my eyes off the road

I wouldn't like to see animations taken this far though. As said, it would be an unnecessary distraction while driving, and it would be very hard to time it right. So there
imo it could only be done on replays.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG