The online racing simulator

Poll : Have you modded you steering wheel?

No
Yes (within warranty)
No, but will be after the warranty expires
Yes (after expired warranty)
Just curious regarding wheel modding
How many of you have modded your steering wheel? Even the slightest? And how have you modded it?
Have the good old sidewinder. I would like to mod it, but dunno any mod fot that crap. Maybe someone could give me some link or somthing.
Modded both of my wheels within warranty:
1st one was FF EX, I took it apart completly and filled the gaps around the potentiometer to improve accurancy.

2nd and current one is G25. Applied Easy H'n'T mod to it
I plan on adding fans to the front of the G25 to circulate air, driving with full FFB for extended periods of time gets the wheel hot enough to cook eggs, so with air moving it will be much better - I hope.
Grafted some extra paddles on my DFP from a deceased Thrustmaster Ferrari wheel a few years back. But got an RGT now, so took em off and use the DFP as a trim wheel for FSX, works amazingly well.
My old Sidewinder FF had half a squash ball under the brake pedal, which was actually pretty good.

Now the G25 had following stuff done to it:
- Repaired broken reverse cable on shifter
- Replaced metal ball with a plastic BB to remove the shifter click
- Added spacers below the brake (and clutch) pedal plate to allow for easier H'n'T
- Inserted a rolled together 1/4 of the remaining squash ball into the brake spring, giving it similar progressive strong resistance as the original squash ball mod did. Makes H'n'T even easier.

The only thing missing is me actually racing online.
#7 - Jakg
If by modded you mean "fixing whatever breaks because I seem to forget that I have a warranty", then yes, it's modded.

OT - I actually went so long without using my G25 that the dial wouldn't go from H-Shifter -> Sequential and would get stuck, so I took it totally apart and then realised that I had to push the stick down first...
lmao jack, im intrigued about this reverse fix cos i could do with doing that on mine
Unfortunately there is no ultimate reverse fix. When mine broke down, I opened it out of curiosity to see if it was anything easy to fix and alas, it was clearly visible one of the cables had broken due to fatigue. A few minutes of soldering later everything was in working order again.

However, I've also seen/heard about cases where actually the button or even the whole bottom circuit board broke down, which makes the process a whole lot trickier than my case, partially because you have to disassemble the whole thing and because finding the error isn't as obvious then.
I inverted the pedals of my G25 the same day I bought it and before testing it.
i got rid of the sequential shifter on my momo and hotwired 2 external buttons...annnd on my other wheel a crapy cheap one i made into a h-shifter and a clutch, oh and i never used the momo pedals, i made my own(but i opened them to take a look and try their pots on my pedals...) :P
Only done the click fix, realistic resistance and less neutral wobble, all on the G25 shifter. I am hoping to do loads more some time though

I am hoping to put the pedals in the upside down way soon. I'm hoping to not have to take them apart too much though, as I absolutely hate springs with a passion, after being hit in the face by one when taking apart a seatbelt unit from my old mini last year...Missed my eye by millimetres, actually broke skin, and I have a vague spring shaped scar on my temple

How well are the springs held on in the pedals? I was bricking it taking apart the shifter because of the spring, even though it's only a small loose one
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Only done the click fix, realistic resistance and less neutral wobble, all on the G25 shifter. I am hoping to do loads more some time though

I am hoping to put the pedals in the upside down way soon. I'm hoping to not have to take them apart too much though, as I absolutely hate springs with a passion, after being hit in the face by one when taking apart a seatbelt unit from my old mini last year...Missed my eye by millimetres, actually broke skin, and I have a vague spring shaped scar on my temple

How well are the springs held on in the pedals? I was bricking it taking apart the shifter because of the spring, even though it's only a small loose one

Don´t worry I made it and you will not find any springs

http://img.photobucket.com/alb ... ide/g25_pedals_inside.jpg
Wow, looks like they just pop out whole

Might give it a try when I'm home at the weekend if I've nothing better to do, I may as well keep modding now
I have'nt modded mine yet as i still have about a year left on my warranty, but once that runs out, i will be adding a new wheel, new shifter knob, new pedals and will also put a mod in the brake pedal. I forgot the name, but its a small rubber block that you can put in the brake pedals spring. Apparently, it adds ALOT more resistance and feels great.

P.S O/T, G25 is soon going back to logitech. Damn shifter has broken for the SECOND time.
I'm at a loss as to what to do...I use an old TV cabinet as a desk, and the pedals are inside in a convenient little footwell-type place, where they are jammed in to fit with a piece of timber. I'm not allowed to drill through the side of the unit, unless it's absolutely unavoidable. So I'm hoping someone would be able to help me out, by finding a way to mount a piece of timber inside for the inverted pedals

Here are some pics of the wheel set up, and the footwell. There's a wall behind it that can be used for support, but I can't put the back of the pedal mount up to it, as it's too far in to reach with my feet, and there's lots and lots of wires back there. It just happens to be the only wall socket for the room, with 2 and a half extension leads coming out of it to power everything
Attached images
11072008037.jpg
11072008038.jpg
11072008039.jpg
11072008040.jpg
build a box to fit inside of the cabnet and add a lip on the front to hook onto the front of the cabnet.
Actually, that's exactly the kind of idea I needed! Looking at it now, it would be perfect to keep it in, and still I can take it in/out as needed. Thanks you
pretty simple design and it should work flawlessly and ps nice sig. lol
Just finished doing it now, I have to say it's brilliant! I managed to persuade the mother to let me drill through the cabinet, and I put in 4 6-inch screws in, 2 to each side. Not a millimetre of play! I did manage to disconnect the wiring and move it to the back, that's a great idea, I'd be worried leaving them exposed. I also took all measurements from an Avensis, for super extra realism. Next I'll need to get another piece of timber to go behind the pedals, as in a real car. I'm also going down to the breakers next week to find a floormat My only regret is that the footwell isn't wide enough to allow a left foot-rest, and still keep proper measurements, but I'm not too worried

Thanks for the guide
Glad it worked out well

need some pics though......

P.S. hows ver.09 coming
Interestings, so almost half have modified their wheel in some way, the majority of which have done it within warranty.

Thats interesting.

Personally I want to replace my G25's wheel with one of them racing style rectangular ones.
Quote from Turbo Dad :P.S. hows ver.09 coming

Should be OK for next week, been busy with a new job...plus I'm going to England for a couple of days next week...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG