The online racing simulator

Poll : What do you think?

Yes, you are right!
No, that is a bad idea (please explain below)
We need more tracks AND less tracks?
Heres the deal.
Some say we need more tracks, more content, more cars.
I *usually* disagree. There are already a gazillion combos to drive and 90% of us havent driven then all (not even half the combos, problably).
Thing is... the game is STILL getting repetitive. Like becky rose said, "Im tired of turning THAT same corner". I've done some corners literally thousands of times, and due to it being a car, its usually at very similar speeds.
We _NEED_ more tracks.
BUT lfs already feels like it has too many tracks.

So heres my analysis of the problem. LFS doenst have too many tracks. What it has is too many SIMILAR tracks.
The solution?
New tracks, LESS combos. Like Westhill. one track, one layout. At most 3 layouts. (Grand prix, short run (say for uf100s and mrt5s), and rallyX)
NOT the aston/fern bay insanity (or well end up with say NC27R NewCity 27 reversed).

Plus, this way we can have tracks that are not an endless sucession of chicanes (fernBay anyone). and more flowing, assymetrical tracks like KY2.

The poll is cryptic on purpose, to force voters to read the post and understand it. Come to think of it, Ill make a similar thread for the cars, and I get the feeling this is the way content should go.
So what was your question?

I am not really fused about new content in the way of tracks or cars.

I'd prefer to see improvements in the way of dynamic racing line (varying grip from rubber layed down on racing line to rubber marbles and dirt etc off the racing line), improved tyre moddeling, varying environment, etc As these things would bring alot of new life into what we already have
we had this topic over 10000000000000000000000000000000000000 times here
new closeable topic? BOB?
i think we sohould give the devs a long long vacation,after that we could make polls
#5 - wark
I don't think more combos is per se a bad thing. I'd probably rather have 10 tracks each with 5 combos than 10 tracks with 1 each.

Anyway, I doubt it takes anywhere near as long for Eric to come up with a bunch of combos for an existing track as it takes for him to make up a completely new environment from scratch.

More tracks is always a good thing, and variant combos are an afterthought: why should they be skipped?

P.S. "fewer tracks"
i actually agree wif you.
its not the quantity of the tracks, its the quality.
many of the corners are too similar to each other.. thus boring.
and they are too highspeed as well.
i would love to see more challenging corners like T8 in that turkish f1 circuit.
and some slower corners as well.
The reason we have comparatively few tracks with a large number of layouts is because it takes a very long time to create a whole new environment, a whole new scenery set, and a whole new place for the physics engine to work in. By contrast, it takes far less time and effort to make variations on the same track in the same place, and so the developers have given us a lot of layout options on the tracks we have to help add variety without massively increasing workload.

Sam
#8 - Ian.H
Quote from Dark Elite :The reason we have comparatively few tracks with a large number of layouts is because it takes a very long time to create a whole new environment, a whole new scenery set, and a whole new place for the physics engine to work in. By contrast, it takes far less time and effort to make variations on the same track in the same place, and so the developers have given us a lot of layout options on the tracks we have to help add variety without massively increasing workload.

Sam

I think the common term is called 'laziness'

Eric's had loads of time to create a good few new track environments (much like fixing the existing environments which still look horrendous with those random shadows all in the wrong places on most tracks), but alas... why bother when you can add a few corners (that are much like corners in other LFS tracks) to an existing layout and say "here's a new track!" knowing many of the gullible will simply lap it up :rolleyes:

Thankfully for Eric, I'm not his employer else he would have received his P45 a long time ago.

Regards,

Ian
Whilst I'm sure that one of the chief developers of the most dedicated, accurate, and commited racing simulator in the world would be very pleased to hear that you think he isn't worth having on the team, personally, I don't believe you should share such an opinion in a public forum.

Sam
Quote from Dark Elite :Whilst I'm sure that one of the chief developers of the most dedicated, accurate, and commited racing simulator in the world would be very pleased to hear that you think he isn't worth having on the team, personally, I don't believe you should share such an opinion in a public forum.

Sam

Why? Because it doesn't follow the trend of the seemingly "brainwashed" sheep?

LFS is a business, the devs are businessmen.. it's as simple as that. Unfortunately, many here don't see it that way and seem to believe that in some way or other, they're related to the devs and take any criticism towards LFS or the devs personally.

If I'd said the same about an m$ or EA employee, no one would batter an eyelid (and would possibly agree with me), but as it's one of "our beloved LFS devs".. people (you in this case) get all defensive for some unknown reason.. and you even want to censor posts because of it

Regards,

Ian
I did not suggest censoring posts, and will never do so - I merely stated a my belief that making such comments, particularly when they are wholly unnecessary, is unwise. Mostly because, as you say in a rather more derogatory way, the general LFS population fully supports the developing team.

If you had made such a comment about anybody, whatever position they held, when you had no idea about what work they were doing, my response would be exactly the same. Be they an employee of EA working on NFS, or in this case Eric on LFS, I don't think you're really in the right place to make an informed, accurate comment on their working attitude and relative worth.

That's all.

Sam
We haven't seen any _new_ tracks in LFS for years (not old, regurgitated tracks with a few polys bolted on one end to create a "new combo" :rolleyes: ). One might therefore be entitled to think that their modeller isn't up to par.

The current tracks are riddled with bugs, always have been since day one, yet never been fixed. Does said modeller not have the skillset available to resolve such issues?

As I said, thankfully _I'm_ not Eric's employer.. I didn't say Scawen should boot him out the door.. _if_ I was, I would have, that's all.

Regards,

Ian
Rather than more track/enviroments being added, i would rather things like physics/mechanical parts/bugs get fixed first. Afterall, the physics part is what made most of us by the game right? I know its what pursuaded me!
I don't see the point of new tracks, most of the ones we've got don't get used. Its just the same 4-5 tracks.

The same applies to the cars.
Quote from Mike85 :What LFS needs is a AU rehaul. Simplification of the User Interface. Simplification of setup use, and more clearly readable server browser.

Interface and server browser are already very clear and concise. Setup screen has just a few outstanding improvements (a tab for notes, e.g. "works great in sector 1"), and so does the browser (filters, etc.). Nothing major's really required.
Excellent idea, but when we start removing something now, people will not be happy
#17 - Byku
Quote from Breizh :Interface and server browser are already very clear and concise. Setup screen has just a few outstanding improvements (a tab for notes, e.g. "works great in sector 1"), and so does the browser (filters, etc.). Nothing major's really required.

Sorry for off-topic... what kind of "tab for notes" in setup screen? O.o
Outstanding can mean either excellent, or not yet done.
No i don't agree here, i think you get the very active players who will be bored of most combinations, so i think not only do we want more tracks we want more CARS, and TRACKS.
personaly i agree Weshill is still one of my fav tracks. but it dose lack low speed corners and such and BL is awsome track but i have done well over 2000 laps of it and now i could allmost do the track with my eyes closed>

+1 for new tracks less layouts
+1 for new mechanics'
+1 for no changeable setups on road cars!!!
I`m quite satisfied with the present tracks
We need more development to the cars ! And rain, and snow and night and so

It`s NOT about the tracks !!!!!!!!!!!
You got it all wrong
I one of the people who wants more tracks. Something different, not just layouts. There's also a few holes in the car lineup I'd like to see filled.

To the people who say we don't need anything new because some of what we have doesn't get used, I'd have to say that's a pretty weak argument. I don't like all the layouts in LFS. I don't like all the cars in LFS, but you're saying because I don't drive them we can't get something else, that I'd rather drive? That's just assinine.
Quote from alland44 :I`m quite satisfied with the present tracks
We need more development to the cars ! And rain, and snow and night and so

It`s NOT about the tracks !!!!!!!!!!!
You got it all wrong

Hi. Its not about tracks, its about more content.

I understand we need better physics, proper collision with track objects and so on... Yeah, i know the dev team is only 3 people.

Maybe Dev team need someone doing 3d models full time like we have Mr. Scawen programing all day long. As i understand, Mr. Eric do the 3d stuff and i dont think he works full time because we don't have major developments in that area (i'm still waiting for the new interiors and the fixes in the killer curbs in some tracks)
Great suggestion. I'm afraid of trying new tracks/combos because of the amount. If they had 20 tracks and 2 variations for each track, would've been easier to focus on some, rather than now, having 7 tracks with 253523 variations for each. ;/
it's totally true, there are lots of combos but the same dman corners, even in different cars they get booring

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG