The online racing simulator
Tune For Speed
(47 posts, started )
Tune For Speed
Okay this is kinda dumb but here we go..
I had this idea few days ago,if some lfs-rs want tuning in lfs,there could be relased Tune For Speed,its basically the same as Live For Speed,but you can tune lfs cars,and no realystlic handling whats so ever,that would keep the ppl quiet about tuning requests,i personally wouldnt use it,but the tuning parts requests is getting lame alrdy,and annoying
Best suggestion ever.
No, not again. Someone always wanna make NFS from LFS :nol2:
-
(510N3D) DELETED by 510N3D
Quote from Töki (HUN) :No, not again. Someone always wanna make NFS from LFS :nol2:

Actually i thought that get rid of the ricers from lfs and then kill them,two games,lfs and tune for speed
Quote from bmwe30m3 :Actually i thought that get rid of the ricers from lfs and then kill them,two games,lfs and tune for speed

Right, then I won't hurt you, my BMW friend
lol wut? craziest idea ever? plus i dont think 3 developers could cope with anotehr game
just use restriction on car and POUF "tuned" car
Quote from Mazink :just use restriction on car and POUF "tuned" car

Racing with max intake restriction and added mass? now that´s a fully tuned, uber fast car...epic
It already exists.
The Devs made up a company name, (EA) and they made some lame simple games for it so it would look like a real game company, they now sell this series called Need For Speed, but they didn't tell anyone they made it.
So, they already have this fake LFS tuning thing, but it doesn't got anything to do LFS (anymore), they got 'awesome graphics/tuning/rims/rice/etc' etc.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :It already exists.
The Devs made up a company name, (EA) and they made some lame simple games for it so it would look like a real game company, they now sell this series called Need For Speed, but they didn't tell anyone they made it.
So, they already have this fake LFS tuning thing, but it doesn't got anything to do LFS (anymore), they got 'awesome graphics/tuning/rims/rice/etc' etc.

haha
Quote from BlakjeKaas :It already exists.

cmon... nfs wasnt that bad until most wanted..
#12 - senn
actually i kinda think being able to change rims would be nice (not bespoke dammit)

Have u seen how awesome some of those renders people do with different rims and the more subtle bodykit changes....seriously, i don't care that it doesn't really improve performance (lightweight rims aside) it would just be nice to be able to personalize the cars a bit more, but hey, it ain't gonna happen :P
Quote from Töki (HUN) :No, not again. Someone always wanna make NFS from LFS :nol2:

see it more like Gran turismo then nEED FOR SPEED

if u can create wing profile and fuselage in the Flighing Simulator X-Plane ,

i would love to create my own parts , to my own spec in LFS , cus meddling with basic settings for 3 years , i wish i caan do something else to squeeze time out of laps
Aerodynamics and all that stuff would be way to complex for casual racers, but I'm pretty sure some would enjoy tinkering around with their car(s)'s components rather than just setting them up.
Even "simple" things like engine displacement, several different turbos, etc. would be a giant leap forward.

Just imagine how interesting racing would be if there was a way to really mess up your setup, like fitting a bigger engine and/or a bigger turbo without installing an appropriate cooling system (Clarkson style ). That would certainly make LFS the most realistic sim there is
Quote from morpha :Just imagine how interesting racing would be if there was a way to really mess up your setup, like fitting a bigger engine and/or a bigger turbo without installing an appropriate cooling system (Clarkson style ). That would certainly make LFS the most realistic sim there is

Imagine what? It would make no difference in racing.
Umm...

So a racing game where you can tune the cars that has totally unrealistic handling? You mean like pretty much any new racing game out there? This is hardly an "improvement" suggestion
it would be an improvement to choose from different rims, NO shiny BLING BLING rims and stuff but more like BBS and racecar rims
That much I agree with, but I don't consider switching rims to be "tuning"
Quote from Dajmin :That much I agree with, but I don't consider switching rims to be "tuning"

yeah, just have a choise between a couple of rims would be nice
Yup. Even if they didn't include many by default, but included in-game support for rims made in BeSpoke, that'd be nice. Then we could see a field with a load of different rim styles. A little bit more customisation is always good, if you ask me.
Quote from Dajmin :Yup. Even if they didn't include many by default, but included in-game support for rims made in BeSpoke, that'd be nice. Then we could see a field with a load of different rim styles. A little bit more customisation is always good, if you ask me.

or a new update that u can change only the bumpers spoilers and rims that sounds better to me

id love the idea but make it an update for LFS S2 then i already spent 45€ or something like that on lfs s2 :P
Quote from innersasuke16 :id love the idea but make it an update for LFS S2 then i already spent 45€ or something like that on lfs s2 :P

why the hell did you spend €45 on lfs??
The difficult stuff in allowing engine tuning is : How much do you allow people to tweak their engine while respecting the car class system ?
Actually, most of the car classes in LFS are developped upon the power to weight (bhp/ton) ratio of the cars : XRG/XFG have got around 125 / Tbo around 206 / the only class that is a bit tricky to understand is the LRF (where cars have such a so high difference in bhp/ton ratio that i don't understand how they made it a class --> maybe because of close laptimes ?)

Quote from morpha :Aerodynamics and all that stuff would be way to complex for casual racers, but I'm pretty sure some would enjoy tinkering around with their car(s)'s components rather than just setting them up.
Even "simple" things like engine displacement, several different turbos, etc. would be a giant leap forward.

Just imagine how interesting racing would be if there was a way to really mess up your setup, like fitting a bigger engine and/or a bigger turbo without installing an appropriate cooling system (Clarkson style ). That would certainly make LFS the most realistic sim there is

This, even if it is a good idea, is really hard to get balanced. Speaking of "simple" things like bore/stroke ratio, keeping the same displacement can have "HUGE" effects of the engine's power and behavior. The easiest way to understand is checking the motorcycles engines : check for the Harleys (where stroke>>>bore) that have a few hp but A LOT of torque, or check the japanese inline 4 (stroke=bore - called square engines), with a few torque and high hp. You can see also in motorsport racing engines called super square (where stroke<bore) which develop huge amounts of hp (check some race series in japan and you'll see how they're able to pull 250hp from a N/A 1600cc engine).
So, if you allowed that, everybody will tweak their engine to the most powerful ones, and this would result in a totally unbalanced race for people who didn't change it, or changed it differently.

Plus, let's think with the racer mind. Why do people tune their car performance (engine plus suspension) when they sign in for leagues or clubraces ? Handling tuning is easy to understand : it's to obtain the optimal behavior while driving, increasing either cornering speed, endurance, etc. For engine, it is simple. Leagues, series, ponctual events have rules. Then, in order to have chances to win, you need to optimize your car following the rules in order to get the best time or place you can. The cars in LFS are actually tuned to follow the rules imposed by the fictionnal category/class they belong in.

For instance, the XRG/XFG class rule are : Stock engine/Stock Interior/Stock tires - Free transmission, free suspension, etc. As a contrary, the XRR, isn't a road/stock car like the XRG or the XRT : it is a tuned version of the XRT following restrictions close to a GT (I don't know which is the closest between GT2, GT3 or GT4, but certainly not GT1 for you can't really modify the engines) real life series. It has a bigger turbo, the bore-stroke ratio has been changed, the weight have been reduced, slicks, aerodynamics and custom exhausts are allowed, rollcage is compulsory, etc. This is a tuned car, tuned to fit the (implicit) minimum requirements under the (explicit) rules of the category.

This leads to my final point, if LFS wants to allow full tuning of the car, then you need a complete revamp of the car system and of the multiplayer community. You will remove all the GTR and the BabyGTR (because they are tuned), and maybe the LX6 because it can be considered as an upgraded version of the LX4. For tiptops, you'd only have the choice between : UF1, XFG, XRG, LX4, RB4, FXO, XRT, RAC, FZ5. You will be free to change everything you want in your car, but to keep the race balanced, when a player hosts a server, HE will impose, via the server option list, the rules of the race/league/serie, instead of having all-made classes.

For example, he can choose whether he allows engine tuning, transmission tuning, engine swapping, turbo'ing, by choosing between premade options like :
- Stock engine (tick) or engine modding (max displacement, max number of cylinders, standard configuration, removing turbo, adding turbo, bore-stroke ratio, number of valves)
- Handling modding (Suspension, wheels, direction)
- Transmission modding (Stock or new transmission layout, fixed gears, different final drive)
- Car modding (making the car lighter options : minimum number of seat, minimum weight, etc).

If everything of these options are available to server makers, and if different cars are available to players, THEN, and only THEN, engine tuning could be implemented and could bring some serious gaming and community experience and put some more diversity (because of the homemade restrictions to car resulting in virtually infinite possibilities of ruled series or events), WITHOUT denaturing the initial spirit of the wonderful experience that Live For Speed is.

(Please, do not copy paste this post to a new suggestion thread, I copyrighted it, and if someone needs to post it, it's me, however i'm not sure, I haven't finished thinking about every possibilities of this patch and how make them closer to what LFS is If you do that, I'll find you and make you eat your own balls )
*** C&P ALERT *** C&P ALERT *** C&P ALERT ***

Modifying the cars is pointless. Eventually, people would work out the ideal setup for each track and car and everyone would use it. Look at the number of people who use Inferno setups if you need proof that it would happen.
Therefor you end up with a field of identical cars, and guess what? That's exactly what we already have.

So how about you just drive the cars you have and I dunno, bang a metal trash can lid with your face to simulate the noise of a pointless "masseev zorst!!1111"

*** C&P END *** C&P END *** C&P END ***

The most used C&P ever. I love it.
While I am not in favor or open tuning, there are many little things that are allowed even in very restrictive racing classes. Some level of tuning would be a welcome upgrade to the current system. In the same was as making setup changes more restrictive would also be a welcome upgrade. When I look at some of the SCCA classes like Spec Miata, they do allow for things like adjusting the timing, but do not allow for things like swaping the intake, adding forced induction, etc. Some more open class allow a little more modification such as altering cam profiles and such.

Now these kinds of changes don't drasticly alter the performance of these cars. What they do allow is for the cars performance to be adjusted magrinaly for the design of the track. By advancing the timing you gain a little mid and top end HP at the cost of some low end torque, not unlike using a taller final drive ratio but doing both would give you car well suited to long fast open tracks while doing the oppisite would give you more low end punch for shorter slower tracks. While altering the cam profiles will add or reduce the power levels a little it also affects the fuel economy.

So sure evently some one may find "The Ideal Setup/Tune" for a given track/car combo for them but its still just a matter of driving style and it will not work for every one but on a track with a ballance of both slow and fast sections you now have some more choice in whether to setup to be optimal fro the fast sections of for the slow ones.

So in the end I would not ming having more settings to ajust while at the same time reducing my adjustment choices for any given setting.

Dajmin,

So many people use the Inferno setups because currently setup options are nearly infinite. That level of setup adjustability is unrealistic and leads to the faulse idea that there is one perfict setup for any given car on any given track that will work for everyone. If the we were limited to just a few options for each setting then people would be more inclined to try and setup the car them selves and would naturaly find a setup that works for the way they drive in stead of having to adjust their driving to match the setup that some one else used to set a WR.

Curiosity leads to Experimentation...
Experimentation leads to Discovery...
Discovery leads to Insight...
Insight guildes further Experimentation...
But Complexity leads to doubt...
And Doubt tempers Curiosity...

You do the math, but in the end the situation is the result of the equasion we are presented and its at a level that is unfortunatly more then many people wish to try and understand.

Tune For Speed
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG