The online racing simulator
will this cpu run lfs and counter strike source with high settings smoothly?
#2 - Jakg
Get an Intel quad core rather than a Phenom.
Jack, CS Source ain't multi-threaded, so a dual core would work fine. Hell, my ****ing MBP does CS Source on High, without a hitch.
#5 - Noccy
what about a Dell inspiron 530 with a C2D 8200 and a 2600 XT?
comes with a 19"LCD and sells at 849$ on their Us site
Build your own. It's not hard. I did it when I was 13 and been doing it ever since. Kinda like Legos, everything just has it's place and fits together a certain way. The only tool you need is a phillips head screw driver, and maybe a knife for opening packaging.
Forby, I win:

I've done it since I was a placenta.
So, since like... a week ago?

O/T: That sig is technically incorrect, btw. I needn't explain why.
#9 - ajp71
I think everyone has missed the original question. LFS and (AFAIK) Counter Strike are not multi threaded so a fast dual core should offer no real world disadvantage to a quad core unless you wish to watch a Blueray movie whilst playing a few games and video editing in the background. Also in response to the original question, most modern processors will run LFS without an issue and assuming the Counter Strike is like other Source games you really don't need that good a computer to get good results.
Nah, Counter Strike just isn't worth the HD space TBH.
My C2D 2.13GHz is sufficient to run LFS with slowdowns (framerate <40fps) occuring only with a full grid in front of me.

It is sufficient to run CS:S with a minimum framerate of 60fps, typically averaging 90fps @ 1680x1050 w/ 4xAA and 16xAF.

Upgrading from a 7900GT to a 9800GTX made no difference in LFS, and I'm fairly certain the same is true for CS:S.
sooo... wich one should i buy the first one i posted or the second one?
It IS a shame that all those guys with water cooling have great big pipes trailing all around their houses.
Quote from pb32000 :It IS a shame that all those guys with water cooling have great big pipes trailing all around their houses.

yeh lol.
this can pretty much run fsx on full wack so try the amd one that i have.

Or not try this amd one. It's a gaming one. It's quad core.

I want one.

And it's only $215 for the black edition. http://shopus.amd.com/pl/682-1 ... 0ZWCGDBOX)-Compare-Prices

oh u wany a whole pc i can find one of those too. It starts at $999 but it's alienware look at the specs. www.alienware.com
#17 - Jakg
I know it's not multithreaded but as a quad the Phenom is rubbish.

Luke.S - if you don't know what your talking about PLEASE don't post.

That system sucks - it's got a rubbish GFX card, rubbish water cooling (which you dont even need!) etc

BTW - you don't need a water supply in the same room as your PC
Quote from Jakg :I know it's not multithreaded but as a quad the Phenom is rubbish.

Luke.S - if you don't know what your talking about PLEASE don't post.

That system sucks - it's got a rubbish GFX card, rubbish water cooling (which you dont even need!) etc

BTW - you don't need a water supply in the same room as your PC

There is a section allowing you to customize it. So you could get as the best card a 9800GX2. And water cooling is an option.
#19 - Jakg
Yes, but i don't think he's get enough cash to get a 9800GX2. If he did I doubt he'd ask and just buy the most expensive things on the list and end up with some Phenom / GX2 / Watercooled crap.
Quote from Jakg :Luke.S - if you don't know what your talking about PLEASE don't post.

Quote from Luke.S :There is a section allowing you to customize it. So you could get as the best card a 9800GX2. And whater cooling is an option.

QED
AMD Phenoms got off to a bad start with not being as fast as Intels and being very buggy.

The computer you have picked has one of the buggy processors. The later Phenoms have fixed the problems (the newer ones end in ##50, such as 9750/9850). I would NOT buy a Phenom that doesnt end in 50.

But I was once an AMD man, I am not being stubborn though, Intel's range is better in almost everyway at the moment...they not only out perform phenoms, but they overclock better too so its win win.

Now to the original poster, the computer you picked I wouldnt buy, the next machine you linked is probably better but I dont know much about ATi graphics cards. Note though the graphics card is very easy to upgrade as its just a simple slot in.

Mutt107, I would highly recommend you building your own or finding someone who can, its MUCH cheaper and you can variate your money better to get a much faster and stable computer. Theres certain vendors/manufacturers too, such as BFG that give you lifetime warranties and even better a trade up program;

http://www.bfgtech.com/tradeupprogram.aspx

Which just stretches money even further.

PS
Water cooling isnt connected to a water supply lol. The motor circulates coolant from a reservior.
Quote from Jakg :Get an Intel quad core rather than a Phenom.

You know that is the worst kind of help you can try and offer, people buy within their budgets, and not everyone has the need to be on the cutting edge of performance and technology, the best way to help would be to get his budget and help them find a PC with as close to their wallet allows.

As for telling someone to build a computer, again, totally worthless advice, if someone doesn't know how to build a PC regardless of how easy it might be for someone who knows how to do it, the task is still daunting, as such above their skill range.
#23 - Jakg
The Phenom is the same price as the Q6600 (and the X3210, if found used, is cheaper yet again) - the mobo's for Intel are a little more expensive, but there are also some cracking cheap ones (i.e. the £40 Gigabyte P31-DS3L).

He would be getting more for the SAME amount of money...

The TLB issue actually very VERY rarely happens, and i can't see it ever happening accidentally on a desktop PC used for gaming etc. Fwiw the Core 2 range have had over 100 errata that remained unfixed, I have no idea why this one is such a big issue.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :<snip>

As for telling someone to build a computer, again, totally worthless advice, if someone doesn't know how to build a PC regardless of how easy it might be for someone who knows how to do it, the task is still daunting, as such above their skill range.

Alright, I admit it, I was born with an extensive knowledge of computers and building a computer at the age of 13 was as simple as breathing.

I continue to hear stories of friends and family helping to build computers for others where, at the end of the build, the other person goes, "That's it!?"
DIY

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG