The online racing simulator
FramesPerSecond
(67 posts, started )
FramesPerSecond
How many fps' are you guys running. I have got it to hit around a constant 60 playing with the settings. I have an old laptop so I dont expect much. But I was wondering what you guys with new computers are running?
I get about 130-140 and my PC info is in my sig below......
My PC's a year old (Intel dual core, 8800GTS 640Mb) and I can max out AA and AF at 1680 x 1050 with high-res textures without frame rate issues on full grids. Suffers a little bit at race starts when running 20 AI cars but I think they really dog the CPU.
#4 - Jakg
Quote from scoobyrbac :I get about 130-140 and my PC info is in my sig below......

Turn on vSync then.

And what FPS are we talking about here? Ordinary driving FPS on my own (300+ with vSync off) or worst possible FPS scenario (30-40 FPS)

Although now I seem to get 40 FPS no matter what since I went triplehead.
#5 - MrPDR
what exactly does vSync do? im still a little shady on what its for
#6 - Jakg
Your monitor only refreshes so many times a second - on TFT's this is usually 60 Hz, which means it updates 60 times per second, which means the maximum FPS it can "show" is 60. Sometimes if you try to put over 60 FPS into a TFT you get tearing where the image isn't updated at the same time all over the screen, and so vSync stops this by limiting your FPS to the maximum the monitor can show.
#7 - Dru
Jak - what is the best thing to do? limit it with Vsync or cap the ingame frame rate?
#8 - Jakg
Depends - If vSync works fine, then use it, if the action feels slower of jerky etc then use the in-game FPS limiter and vice versa.

I find the in-game FPS limiter has an FPS hit, though (even when the FPS is nowhere near the limit, oddly).
Quote from lei1634 :How many fps' are you guys running. I have got it to hit around a constant 60 playing with the settings. I have an old laptop so I dont expect much. But I was wondering what you guys with new computers are running?

I can run with approx. 200 and prolly 300+ if I degrade quality, but have VSync enabled = 60FPS.

Dont buy too much into the FPS jibber jabber.. thats what it usually is.
I have no idea hoy many fps I can get, because I have vsync on. Vsync FTW
Around 180 if im alone.
I'm lucky if I get 30
Put this whole thread into perspective, FPS past 60 doesnt mean C R A P all, TV is broadcast at 60 fps, below 20 fps, the eye can see each indivdual picture.
Quote from ThaBobsta :Put this whole thread into perspective, FPS past 60 doesnt mean C R A P all, TV is broadcast at 60 fps, below 20 fps, the eye can see each indivdual picture.

Then how come I can see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS?
#15 - Jakg
Quote from ThaBobsta :Put this whole thread into perspective, FPS past 60 doesnt mean C R A P all, TV is broadcast at 60 fps, below 20 fps, the eye can see each indivdual picture.

*sigh*

TV's run at 30 FPS (well, 29.97 FPS), but interlaced.

Games run non-interlaced and so need a higher FPS to look as smooth.

Most TFT's can only show 60 FPS so going above this is pointless.

The eye can see the difference of up to 13,000 FPS (in EXTREME circumstances).

I don't know where this Myth comes from but AAAAAAAH!
Quote from Jakg :
I don't know where this Myth comes from but AAAAAAAH!

~7 years ago it was believed that human eyes can't perceive any more than 40FPS and today it's more like 60 - both assumptions mostly amongst gamers.

It make sense (to believe this) - years ago, hardware wasn't as advanced as today, but more importantly, people weren't as used to play. Today way more people are, and because of that, they have unconsciously trained their eyes/brain to be able to perceive more. You'll still find people who'll say anything more than 30FPS is overkill, but I bet it's either because they only owned outdated hardware, or more likely: they haven't spent enough time with games.

I rarely go to cinemas any more. Just did last Friday to watch Indy Jones, and it looked horrid. Over sized screen + 24FPS = madness.
Let's assume you have a refresh rate of 60Hz and a framerate of 120fps. With vsync off, for every refresh cycle, you will see the top half of the first frame, then the bottom half of the second frame. With vsync on, you will see the entire first frame, none of the second frame, and then the entire third frame. The actual framerate is the same (60 fps), but with vsync off, you get more information.

The side effect is a phenomenon known as tearing, where the separate frames on the screen differ sufficiently to produce a seam in the image.
oi misinformation from jack... you dont get that every day

Quote from Jakg :TV's run at 30 FPS (well, 29.97 FPS), but interlaced.

a very large number of tvs (probably the majority considering both china and india use pal) run at 25 frames and with hdtv more and more run at 24
most (good) hdtv streams are progressive and a lot of pal streams are as well (all movies and everything else that was shot at 24 fps)

Quote :Games run non-interlaced and so need a higher FPS to look as smooth.

movie theaters and hdtvs work at 24 fps noninterlanced and look smooth as well... the key is motion blur

Quote :Most TFT's can only show 60 FPS so going above this is pointless.

no it isnt... see forbins post
#19 - Jakg
coulda sworn NTSC was 29.97 FPS and PAL was near that. Ooops.

I thought the interlacing WAS the blurring?
yes never-the-same-colour is 29.97somethingorother but pal is a much more widely used standard (and better in every way... not just cause its not american)

no the blurring is the cameras shutter speed at work... i though you did photography as a hobby?
interlacing just equates to doubling the framerate at half the resolution
Interlacing is a technique by which the even and odd rows are displayed alternately on each frame (i.e. even rows on even frames, odd rows on odd frames). This is mainly for reducing the bandwidth required and may have some positive effect on the life of the screen (although perhaps only in the case of a CRT?).
Well I am wrong sorry! Could have sworn someone told me 60fps(pobably misinformed themselves LOL) But yeah, 60 is good anyting above it IMO (I've got Fps's over 130) but it doesn't make a differnce.

ITs sort of like a Quad ( or Octo-core 8 core) Processor their out but not used by games...YET.
With my LCD I can notice frame rates up to around 50-55fps, but, and I dunno if it's just me, certain renderere's are more noticeable. For example, LFS at 30fps is a complete slide show to me, unplayable, however, Doom 3 at 30fps doesn't seem nearly as bad. And this seems the same with other games using the Doom 3 engine. (D3 engine is best example for me) Counter Strike Source runs around 150-200fps, most of the time it doesn't feel as if it's any higher than 40-45fps. All source games seem this way except Team Fortress 2, where the engine is updated majorly.

Anyways with LFS I have it locked either at 62.5 or 100, depends. Uncapped maxed out with 8AA and 16AF it jumps anywhere from 70-80fps to ~200 But I always lock it, no need to run the CPU or GPU any hotter than they need be.

EDIT: Lei634, is that your mustang in your avatar? If so lemme know, I'm an enthusiasts/owner/racer/clubowner.
DHRammstein- that was my mustang..I sold it. Im in the process of saving for my 08GT500..but My friends dad has 5! count it 5 shelby mustangs in his garage. Including Eleanor. and my other friend has a 800hp 04 Cobra..there is a few others around but they dont compare to these..Im still a part of the mustang club of America..i just have to wait till i can get a used one for a decent price.
#25 - slen
Back in the Quake days.... the more FPS you had the further you could jump.

FramesPerSecond
(67 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG