The online racing simulator
RAC hotlaps doesnt show up
thanks, that's fixed.
noticed a new Icon on LFSworld

Just a quick mock up of some ideas following on from suggestion of comparing other class cars.

http://demoncomputers.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/stuff/idea.jpg

Basically clicking on "compare rank" would then goto screen> with driver list from there click the two drivers to compare (or just one if ticked box). Then list the tracks for the compared drivers then click the track > loads both rafs to compare.
The same for "compare racer" except, maybe just lists available hotlaps to compare if any. *edit* only issue is when large amounts are available to compare, how can they be filtered without multiple menus.*
And "search racers" to check a racers hotlaps ?

workable or not ?
you daredevil with your huge inline image! Please upload it as attachment or so.

Yeah I think I know how to handle the car categories. It involves changing the chart display as well.
I like the different selection procedure idea, with the buddy and rank options. Need to think about that a bit though because your image confuses me, but i get what you mean It can do with a better separation i think - it would need to be clear that you either select straight from a chart, or first do a preselection of a group of racers and then give the possible chart options (if i understood you correctly). The buddy and rank options would act much like a filter i think?
Thanks for the improvements Victor!
ok added as link , sorry

It can be confusing as that image alters the obvious selection proccess. (with hindsight really moving it below the car selection would of made it easier)

So i made another idea screenie to make it a bit easier to follow
see here > http://demoncomputers.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/stuff/idea1.jpg

For the buddy filter , once selected the "buddy" , for now lets say its also set to compare to ones self. Then i pressume next screen would be list of hotlaps, (would it be possible that clicking the track buttons would then allow further filtering (if so would all tracks button be needed?)

The Rank Filter mm not sure how best it would be to use that. Primarily i thought that perhaps, it could be used to list the rank table for chosen selection e.g. XRT, then selecting the driver will then list laps done for that rank and then user can chose which ones to investigate.

Also not sure if other people found the OK button location a bit odd. I thought below cars and at far right would be more natural (as it is in the game)

Anyhow i think i need a coffee or smth

*edit*

Heres alternative layout, at moment feels like the Buttons for the tracks need 50% less width would make it far easier to organise the spaces on a smaller display, although with 22" (1650x1080) works ok as it is.

Here is the layout ammendment.
http://demoncomputers.pwp.blue ... uk/stuff/idea1_layout.jpg
Great new tool!
I've just started getting back into LFS after rebuilding PC at xmas,
so a nice little suprise I got on lfsworld yesterday when I saw the new analyser. Excellent work Victor, although I had used the old method previously this is obviously so much quicker and easier.
Only one problem now, I'll have to stop myself reviewing laps when I'm at work!!
What about this? (see attachment)

Categorizing cars would divide it neatly into 3 columns, using the screen space more optimal, design-wise better looking, as being better organized & it is even contractable in width if needed.
(UF1 & MRT being together as uncategorized. This is just an idea, no need to start as discussion about categorizing cars.)
There is room for the track configs between the tracks and cars columns, and the OK button can be adjusted to be even bigger.

(Why is Aston all of a sudden called racetrack and the rest of the tracks don't have fancy surnames?) And the yellow tint on the mouse-over track buttons in off state is a bit odd. Compared to the blueness around. So the usual desaturate overlays or a blueish tint would look better.

Adaptable to different screen sizes, as it neatly fits into my 1440x900 screen, should fit into 768x height screen. And obviously will fit into anything larger.

(if it doesn't, it might need some static top and bottom margins, and if the window or the screen is smaller, then the thumbs would resize. But i guess that is an extreme option)
Attached images
rafa_layout.jpg
Brilliant tool!

Very intuitive, very useful, fast and nice.
Other sims do not have a user friendly, integrated analyser.

This is another strong point for LFS and should be proudly advertised !
One other idea i dont think has been mentioned is the ability to compare more then 2 rafs/hotlaps

using 3 for example.

1.WR hotlap
2.Another fast hotlap with faster sector then WR hotlap
3.Your hotlap

Just thinking out aloud really now, but viewing the top 3 would be nice
but then where do you stop ? how many should be comparable ?

-----

@Fuse, I liked the layout made sense to with the structure of cars etc in classes. i Guess that there a few more changes yet perhaps.

@vicc is there a test page or smth you have setup ? if you ever need tester for this project id be more then willing to help where i could

@myself Stop dreaming!
Nice and useful feature...
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :One other idea i dont think has been mentioned is the ability to compare more then 2 rafs/hotlaps

I started out with the ability to load multiple rafs at once, but it quickly became a mess and hard to read the graphs, so i stuck to just 2. That made the overview, wheel view and setupinfo screens a whole lot easier to make as well.

-------

As for the comments and suggestions so far, thanks a lot. I will think about it all a bit.
Suggestion:

New graph - time difference. I think it will be useful, to be able to see immediately where u're faster or slower than WR for example. And it'll be easier to use than speed graph, since it'll only have one line. Speed graph also may be less helpful in some hard technical sections.
Quote from Fox 2 :Suggestion:

New graph - time difference. I think it will be useful, to be able to see immediately where u're faster or slower than WR for example. And it'll be easier to use than speed graph, since it'll only have one line. Speed graph also may be less helpful in some hard technical sections.

And disable "Setup Info"

Grand job Victor!
I see what you mean...a graph that shows the black spots where you lose most of time compared to a WR.

You get exactly that when you display speeds in synchronized mode. And it is better than a time difference, because it shows directly what should be your minimum speed in corner to go as fast as WR.
Juls, I can't agree with you. You can't tell how much time exactly you are losing just by speed graph. And that may be important, if you are hotlaping for MHR for example. Also, time diff. does depend on racer's lines, not speed only.. And they may differ a lot. Thirdly, sometimes lines on speed graph are very close to each other, so you can't even tell who's actually faster. In this case it'll be just too complicated to look at it and immediately see your weak points. And finally, sometimes you don't need too know exact WR speeds, since it's far from perfect, but you still need to know, where you're losing even compared to that.

So, imo, it'll be just much more visually comfortable (if that makes sense ), easier and faster to use.
It seems I did not understand at all what a time diff graph is

Could you explain more what is a time diff graph? (what do you take for X and Y axis)
X axis is the time line, Y axis is the time difference between the compared drivers. If both drivers are exactly equally fast in every place then the line will stay in the middle at 0. If it goes up (difference increases) then you see that driver A was slower than driver B, if it goes down (difference decreases) you see where he was faster.

I think there can also be a normalised variant of this graph, where only the places where someone lost or gained time are shown.
Quote from AndroidXP :I think there can also be a normalised variant of this graph, where only the places where someone lost or gained time are shown.

That is the most useful variant. The line shows where one driver is gaining time on the other driver.

Suppose driver A focuses on braking late for a turn, and driver B uses "slow in, fast out". The time difference graph will go down at curve entry (A gains on B), and up (A loses on B) after the exit. By comparing the sizes of "up" part and the "down" part of the graph, you can see whose strategy was best.
+1 for the time graph. This is the graph I use the most in LRA, very useful to quickly see where you are gaiuning/loosing time.
Quote from AndroidXP :X axis is the time line, Y axis is the time difference between the compared drivers. If both drivers are exactly equally fast in every place then the line will stay in the middle at 0. If it goes up (difference increases) then you see that driver A was slower than driver B, if it goes down (difference decreases) you see where he was faster.

I think there can also be a normalised variant of this graph, where only the places where someone lost or gained time are shown.

I suppose X axis is the position on the track, not the time. So for every track point, you know what was the time difference between the two drivers. Looks nice and very useful!

It seems to me that this time difference graph is the integral of 1/v1-1/v2, that is to say (v2-v1)/(v1*v2).
Intuitively it looks right, it increases or decreases when speed difference is positive or negative, and slow areas of the track (like turns) makes the biggest time difference (v1*v2 small).

Reading this graph before and after a turn you know how much time you lose or gain during that turn.
yep, I'll add a time difference graph. I just have some other things to do this week, so i hope next week i can look into the new graph (and other improvements)
Example of time difference graph.

Cosmetic remark: the window title of Vic's replay analyser will only appeal to fans of Nadal.
Attached images
time diff.png
just a question: could it be ever possible to provide the possibility with some external prog / library / script so it would be possible to generate the RAF from SPR's without using the LFS.exe ? ( i have some strategy-planning tool in my mind and the best way to enter data to analyze would be to use SPR's and get all data from it (by extractin the RAF from it ))
Quote from haelje :just a question: could it be ever possible to provide the possibility with some external prog / library / script so it would be possible to generate the RAF from SPR's without using the LFS.exe ?

You will always need lfs.exe to generate a RAF file. An SPR contains just the driver inputs. You then need to re-do the physics calculations to get the RAF data, and that can only be done with LFS itself.

It's thinkable that LFS will get scripting commands to generate a RAF file. (Or maybe the new patch already can - the RAF files for Victor's analyser are generated in an automatic process.) Another possibility is if LFS could generate the RAF data while you drive. (It would be optional, comparable with the option to auto-save replay files.) That can serve several purposes:
  • To generate many RAF files in one go, like you need for your planning tool.
  • To get a RAF file quickly (i.e. without needing to save & run the replay), thus shortening the drive - analyse - learn cycle.
Quote :(i have some strategy-planning tool in my mind and the best way to enter data to analyze would be to use SPR's and get all data from it (by extractin the RAF from it ))

If it is pitting strategy that you want to generate, then I have bad news for you: fuel, tyre wear, or damage are not included in the RAF file. (At the moment, at least. Scawen might be persuaded to add them.)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG