The online racing simulator
Averaged between left, centre and right, for any section along the circumference. AFAIK.
Imo, it doesnt fail even then.. We had some phantom "caster" damage in Aston GP with FZR and the front left tire was locking under braking, and one patch (of 16) got to the temp around 400+ °C but the tire didnt pop, I just moved all the brake bias to the rear and drove it until the pitstop where we fixed damage. Only times when I got the tire to blow was if the layer was just flatspotted over and over in the same place and just wore too thin.. in LFS there are no hotspots, blistering etc etc.. wish there was.
Ok. Just checking. Only because I was fooling around with goofy setups on my laptop today and got SEVERAL patches up to 500 degrees on the tire at the same time under locked braking... and nothing happened.
The average temperature of the whole tyre circumference has to be greater than 200°C for the tyre to pop (of course they can also pop due to wearing down too much), though I don't know if the average is calculated per inner/middle/outer ring or for the whole tyre. Of course this isn't correct behaviour, since a real tyre would not survive one section having for example 700°C, which is easily possible in LFS.
I suspect the averaging is used, as it works nearly as well during wheelspin, but I'd imagine that using any single measurement point would make the tyres too easy to blow - a couple of lock-ups would suffice, which I think would just cause a flat spot on a real tyre.
Yup, though I'd rather see it using an average of three consecutive sections instead, which would mean the maximum temperature for one section would range from somewhere between 360-500°C, depending on how hot the neighbouring sections are.
O/T:
*snip*
Quote from scipy : I just moved all the brake bias to the rear and drove it until the pitstop where we fixed damage.

Is the brake-bias-adjust able to be set to an axis? Or did you just use F12?
He used the F11 menu
Oh yeah I meant F11
So what did we learn so far?

Although the physics eqautions used in this debate are not all that complicated, it is necesary to be using correct units. So for the temperature u have to be using Kelvins, for preassure you have to be using kPa, not Psi or any other, and for volume, you have to be using liter, not galons or whatever. Only then will those types of equations give you correct(ish) results.

Now without knowing the dynamic intyre temp rates, that the tires in lfs are prducing, we can't exactly calculate the preassure within the tyre at all times. And we would need to know the tyre expanding constant, which we do also not have, so any exact calculating of tyre preassure while driving can not be calculated. But it would be nice if scawen could give us intyre dynamic temp, just so we have soemthing more to look at while racing (i would love to have it).

OT: Now from thermal dynamics to governant dynamics: Scipy u no0bend, več si ionak prebrz, šta sad očeš i idealni grip atalltimes kalkulirati UPM. UPM ->upizdumaterino

PS: Was a bit not necesary post, but just felt like writing something
-
(Dalibor79) DELETED by Dalibor79
Quote from PwrSlave :So what did we learn so far?

Although the physics eqautions used in this debate are not all that complicated, it is necesary to be using correct units. So for the temperature u have to be using Kelvins, for preassure you have to be using kPa, not Psi or any other, and for volume, you have to be using liter, not galons or whatever. Only then will those types of equations give you correct(ish) results.

Just to clarify, I quoted PSI as the equation on the site very helpfully does the conversion from KPa and because practically nobody except people involved/educated in physics/science/engineering understands the KPa unit.

Same reason as above for using Celcius over Kelvin.

The actual calculation was actually done using all the correct units.

Quote :Now without knowing the dynamic intyre temp rates, that the tires in lfs are prducing, we can't exactly calculate the preassure within the tyre at all times. And we would need to know the tyre expanding constant, which we do also not have, so any exact calculating of tyre preassure while driving can not be calculated. But it would be nice if scawen could give us intyre dynamic temp, just so we have soemthing more to look at while racing (i would love to have it).

The only actual important figures for us as drivers to know are the internal pressure and the temp of the tyre surface. The pressure as it's important with regard to how the tyre contributes to the compliance of the suspension and also for calculating load on the tyres. Surface tyre temperature because that is what dictates the coeficient of friction of the tyre at the actual contact point with the tarmac. The internal temperature of the tyre carcass/rubber compound and the air inside the tyre are inconsequencial to how the car performs appart from the fact that they have an impact on the two important figures of internal pressure and surface temperature. So from that perspective we don't need to know what they are. Obviously from the perspective of accurate modelling the devs should know of course.

As an interesting related point, track surface temperature is currently unknown, (to us anyway), despite it being a very important factor with regard to accurately modelling the tyre/tarmac grip relationship.
The track surface temperature is probably the same as the ambient temperature, which is about ~23°C. If there's a difference, then it's so small that it has no effect on the section that is currently touching the road, at least from my experiments.
Quote from AndroidXP :The track surface temperature is probably the same as the ambient temperature, which is about ~23°C. If there's a difference, then it's so small that it has no effect on the section that is currently touching the road, at least from my experiments.

Really? I must admit I find that surprising. Just by watching F1 it's easy to see that track temperature is very often significanly different from ambient temperature. I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that it's probably related to the kind of tarmac and kind of ambient weather conditions. Some will have bigger differences than others I suppose.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG