The online racing simulator
Spamware? Virus? Both? HELP PLEASE
(8 posts, started )
My computer has recently acted really strange I believe I've gotten a spamware but my friend believes it's a Sobig.C virus (but I dont think so because I didn't open any weird email).

What happens is, when I launch my computer, my internet browser suddenly opens up then new tabs keep being created over and over again with pictures. (spamming my computer).

I scanned with spybot, Norton and Adaware and removed may spyware but it did nothing to stop the spamming. Please help (I'm able to keep the spamming undercontrol by deleting my Mozilla browser folder and using IE. Since the spamming application senses only the Mozilla it doesn't affect my IE. Now all I get is just an error message but I want the whole spamming app gone)
I hate this stuff because usually, the only way I am ever able to solve that kind of infection is by reformatting.

Hopefully someone on this forum can offer you better advice, though.
AVG + HiJackThis + Trend should get rid of it (report HJT to the HJT forums)
#4 - arco
First of all, get rid of Norton and install latest AVG Free (New version with antispyware engine just released). Also try SUPERAntiSpyware, imo one of the best spyware removal programs out there.
i remember when that happened to me, IE opened like 60+ tabs. I just closed iexplorer.exe and fine
i have nod32 for years,i never had any problems,my computer is always clean
AVG 8.0, ad-aware here. You should do a full scan with both then do another scan after restarting your computer to see if it came back. I also went into the program installations folder to see if anything that I haven't recognized before was there. Usually, the software tells you what folder it found the infection in so I usually go there and delete stuff but only wisely because sometimes it can be inside an important registry key or critical program.

If that doesn't work, you should back-up everything important and reformat the drive. Make sure you scan whatever you used to back up the stuff in(like a usb hard drive) on another computer to see if it is safe to restore your backups.
I had the same problem twice so I used a crappy program called "RegRun Reanimator" which works fine but you need to know what the files actually are (which I figured quite easily from HijackThis). Also for many virii e.g "mgrs.exe" will not be fixed with AVG, Norton, NOD32 etc since they delete the registry files. E.g "mgrs.exe" deleted alot of registry files including: IE, AVG, WLM, Windows Firewall, Ad-Aware and loads more and "mgrs.exe" also disabled the desktop somehow and even typing "explorer.exe" in task manager didn't work. Hope that was some use .

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG