The online racing simulator
To stop someone's crime is a crime or not?
(69 posts, started )
Quote from Luke.S :if anyone breaks in can i tie them up and roll call the lfs community to come beat them up?

that sounds perfectly legitimate to me...
yh might even get the devs as well then get the mods to banish them.
In florida or texas (forgot which) if someone attacks you or another person on the street with intent to kill or injure it is legal to pull a gun on them but I'm not sure if its legal to kill them. I've heard the rule is shoot to incapicitate. If they are robbing your house, you don't even need to think twice before killing them.
Quote from Hyperactive :The only thinkg you are allowed to do in Finland is to ask them to leave, please. If you throw the bastard(s) out they will sue. There was a case when some burglar shithead tried to rob someone's home but then owner was there and aimed him with an empty shotgun - the result: the owner gets parole.

If you shoot you need to bury him too.

Otherwise you will face execution for ill thoughts.

sorry for the double post but it sounds like criminals have more rights than civilians. Is it legal to carry a firearm in finland?
Quote from flymike91 : I've heard the rule is shoot to incapicitate.

so basically you can say "I was aiming for the foot, but I'm a bad shot, that's why I shot him 7 times in the head..."
pretty much but hey its better to kill a criminal than to watch him beat a defenseless woman to death in the streets, right?
Quote from samforey12345 :How silly is this question? ofc you can not.

I thonk that if you are legal to keep & use gun, & he shoot you, you can shoot him
Quote from flymike91 :pretty much but hey its better to kill a criminal than to watch him beat a defenseless woman to death in the streets, right?

I tend to agree, but there are some "logical" (uh, not really) leftwingists (when it comes to this stuff anyway) around here that will vehemently disagree. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when you're not entitled to defend your family, or when you have to make sure that you're nice & gentle against violent criminals.
well I'd like to see this thread talk about gun control, not sure if anyone else is willing to go there but I'll say that when people are not allowed to keep and defend themselves with guns, that leaves the guns only in the hands of criminals, who of course wouldn't give them up to the government. I'd like to hear an Australian's take on this because I've heard (this may be untrue) that guns are outlawed down under.
Assault weapons (i.e. all semi-auto and full-auto rifles & shotguns etc.) are banned down here, as are handguns (sporting pistol shooters are exempt iirc). After the 35 deaths at the Port Arthur massacre, people started asking why a mentally ill man had access to pistols and assault rifles and the government answered by saying "well, he shouldn't have and neither should anyone else."

I'm not intimate with our gun laws but basically, you much need to be military or a cop to be able to carry a gun on you down here. If you want to own something like an AK or Uzi or even a Colt 45 you'd better keep it under your bed. Penalties for banned weapons are very, very stiff so it's basically crims who carry guns. Fortunately (especially in Melbourne & especially lately) they mostly seem to use them on each other.

People down here simply don't need or think about guns that much. Among the law-abiding, it's sporting shooters/hunters (rifles, pistols, shotguns) or farmers (shotguns, rifles) that own them. Most people live in or near large citites and there's not a huge hunting culture here - people are more likely to hit the snow or the beach on their holidays than go kill stuff. Noone needs to hunt for food and there's no big game like deer. Up north, however, it's always open season on feral water buffalo and feral pigs (the pigs are a lot more dangerous than they sound). In my home state of South Australia there's a feral goat problem up north so they're fair game too. Kangaroos are culled when their numbers pose threats to crops and to their own survival. Plenty of crusty old bushies hunt backpackers, but most people consider such behaviour unacceptable. Most people.

Gun crime happens, of course, but it's nowhere as big a problem as it is in the US. You really don't hear of that many gun crimes here, but no society's perfect - every place has its share of psychos and we're no different.

I look at US gun problems, school shootings etc and think it's a bit of a chicken/egg problem: is this constitutional right to bear arms necessary for people to protect themselves from all those gun-bearing crims; or is the right to bear arms the whole source of the problem - the whole reason people can legally acquire assault weapons or pistols (weapons designed to specifically kill humans) in the first place? Bit of both imho.
oh assault weapons thats not what I mean. There is no reason to have an M16 in your house i'm talking mostly about pistols and shotguns.
Pistols are pretty much out (unless you're a sporting/club shooter, but there are lots of restrictions on where you can use it and how to carry it). It's not hard to get a license for shotguns and rifles though, especially if you're a farmer or just live in the country.
Quote from Luke.S :if anyone breaks in can i tie them up and roll call the lfs community to come beat them up?

That is unlawful imprisonment. Much like those "I got my cop badge in a box of corn flakes" PCSOs, if they see someone committing a crime they have to call it in and then say to the criminal "please stay where you are" they are not legally allowed to force someone to stay where they are.

Also, to the Brits with weapons under the bed, some items you can smash someone upside the head with who has broken into your house and it is legal, a cricket bat, golf club, are common house hold items, others it is illegal, snooker cue, baseball bat, are not common house hold items, as such is premeditated assault.

No. Tie them up at your desk, with his hands also tied to your wheel controller. Log him onto a demo server, post a message here at the forum, and we will all enter and repeatedly crash him until he is crying and begging for forgiveness.
Cricket bats suck against a criminal with a gun.

The problem that I see with outlawing guns for protection is that 1. its called prohibition and it sucked the first time and 2. any criminal who attacks you with a gun (he still has his) can be 100% positive that you don't have one and are completely defenseless.

We hear about a lot more gun crime because we have a much higher population than most other countries. There are other reasons too, but thats the main one. Plus people watch the U.S. more. We here don't hear about school shootings in Germany, but they hear about ours, comprende?
Probably because it never happens?

The last school shooting in the UK saw handguns banned. Never happened since. The firearms people use here are either a blank shooter that has been botched to fire a projectile, which fail a lot and/or blow up in the users hands, or every now and then they will get their mits on a real firearm, but are unable to get ammo for it. Generally people just use BB guns which saw them getting regulations put on them (you need to be licensed to buy and sell them).
Quote from flymike91 :Cricket bats suck against a criminal with a gun.

Not if you're Andrew Symonds. Dude's bulletproof and can hit further than Jesus

Quote :The problem that I see with outlawing guns for protection is that 1. its called prohibition and it sucked the first time and 2. any criminal who attacks you with a gun (he still has his) can be 100% positive that you don't have one and are completely defenseless.

We hear about a lot more gun crime because we have a much higher population than most other countries. There are other reasons too, but I don't want to be called a racist on top of whatever people already think about me.

Prohibition outlawed alcohol (I assume that's the Prohibition you're talking about). Everyone loves alcohol and the reasoning behind banning alcohol was flawed at best, completely retarded at worst. It ushered in an unprecedented wave of organised crime activity that took years to undo. Thing is, booze isn't designed to kill people and there's absolutely no comparison to made between guns and alchohol.

There are a lot of reasons the world hears more about US gun crime than anywhere else. Higher population is one, of course, but the higher number of gun crimes per capita is another. The type of gun crime makes a difference too. All countries experience murders, robberies, and suicides but spree-shootings at schools and other public places barely happen at all elsewhere. People are naturally horrified by and interested in them - especially when it comes to the reasons a clearly disturbed person can get access to guns at all, let alone automatic handguns or assault weapons. FYI the last random spree shooting in Australia happened in 1996. Martin Bryant (who's still alive and in custody) packed Colt AR-15 and FN assault rifles, went to Port Arthur in Tasmania and killed 35 people.
#43 - JJ72
Quote from flymike91 :We hear about a lot more gun crime because we have a much higher population than most other countries. There are other reasons too, but thats the main one. Plus people watch the U.S. more. We here don't hear about school shootings in Germany, but they hear about ours, comprende?

I think it's just a fact that your society is too used to having guns, and taking it away now would at least in short term, do more harm than good.

But in vast studies it's quite obvious that the accessibility of guns makes the US a less secure country than it should be. non lethal weapon should really be the solution.
Quote from Hankstar :Thing is, booze isn't designed to kill people and there's absolutely no comparison to made between guns and alchohol.

i think there is since theyre somewhat polar opposites
guns are designed to kill people alcohol is designed to spawn new humans through beer goggles and reduced condom use thanks to impaired motor skills
The comparison I tried to make between guns and alcohol is that people are used to having both and to take them away would lead to organized crime, as you said. The blackmarket gun sales would be just like 20's prohibition era mobs. There is the idea that if more non-criminals had guns, there would be fewer gun crimes because criminals would take into account their chance of being shot in self defence much higher.

There are certain people who NEED guns to defend themselves. My grandmother used to work for a bank and the job entailed her bringing cash and bank slips to the vault of the bank which was in a seperate building than the main one. She carried a gun all day and luckily never had to use it, but it was good for her to have.

sounds like an old mantra but guns don't kill people, people kill people
Woohoo! Gun control discussions ftw!
---

Quote from flymike91 :sorry for the double post but it sounds like criminals have more rights than civilians. Is it legal to carry a firearm in finland?

No, and tbh no need either. I have never really been afraid of walking, even alone, in the city centrals of finnish cities, at any time of day or night. If I was a woman I might think twice before going out alone when it's dark but even then the chance of something bad happening is quite small.

Almost all of the finnish violence can be explained with two things: Booze and women. Especially the booze makes finnish people go crazy. Luckily we don't have hand guns so we throw rocks at each other and sometimes (try to) stab someone with kitchen knife.

EDIT: naturally there are lots of hunting weapons in Finland, mostly rifles and shotguns but (iirc) you can't have neither if you have crime record or a bit special in the head.
I remember reading somewhere that 80% of US murders involved guns, and as they say there, guns don't kill, people do.
However it seems clear to me that if you aren't carrying a gun, or have one in the pickup, then if your in a dispute your not as likely to use a gun. Your far more likely to resort to the Finnish model and throw rocks at each other !!.

As for carrying a gun to protect someone else's money - screw that. Someone wants it, have it mate, I'll put it in the car for you ......... That's why you employ security companies to pick up and move it for you.

As for stopping someone in the act of a crime, in NZ you can use 'reasonable force' which basicly involves you remembering to say to the cops 'I was in fear for my life so I beat him senseless with this brick' and not saying anything else.
Self defence works well with a jury
Quote from flymike91 :There are certain people who NEED guns to defend themselves. My grandmother used to work for a bank and the job entailed her bringing cash and bank slips to the vault of the bank which was in a seperate building than the main one. She carried a gun all day and luckily never had to use it, but it was good for her to have.

No she didn't need a gun. EVERY insurance company for EVERY business will tell you if someone wants the cash let them take it. Money can be replaced, a life cannot.

As for "guns don't kill people-" agreed, but they do help. You want to know why America loves guns? A gun will turn a pussy into a tough guy because he has a gun in his hand.
Quote from Hyperactive :Woohoo! Gun control discussions ftw!
---

No, and tbh no need either. I have never really been afraid of walking, even alone, in the city centrals of finnish cities, at any time of day or night. If I was a woman I might think twice before going out alone when it's dark but even then the chance of something bad happening is quite small.

Almost all of the finnish violence can be explained with two things: Booze and women. Especially the booze makes finnish people go crazy. Luckily we don't have hand guns so we throw rocks at each other and sometimes (try to) stab someone with kitchen knife.

EDIT: naturally there are lots of hunting weapons in Finland, mostly rifles and shotguns but (iirc) you can't have neither if you have crime record or a bit special in the head.

i think its legal to carry a gun in holster or a gun suitcase if you have proper rights and polices have testen your mental stability and if the gun doesnt have ammo inside or clip with bullets in there.
EDIT:atleast they told me that when i were reading/learning to pass test to get hunting card, and there is one more thing that makes people do violence, its when people are depressed
surprisingly, I don't really have a lot to say about this except reiterate that if guns were outlawed, criminals would still have them and be able to do any crime without fear of being blasted by some home owner with a 12-guage. I don't care about waiting periods, background checks, or any of those things that go along with buying a gun because anybody who goes into a gun store and says, "I need a gun right now" probably isn't buying it to put under his bed or in the kitchen drawer. I think the legal age to own a gun should be raised to 21. Its kind of weird that you can legally buy a gun, serve in the military, and vote before you can have a beer.

To stop someone's crime is a crime or not?
(69 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG