The online racing simulator
Suggestion #90726 - custom tacho rotation
Could we have an option to flick the tachometers in the cars around a bit so that redline is at 1 oclock? It could even have the numbers not adjusted like we actualy had grabbed the tach and tilted it ourselves!
I'll second that - never ocurred to me, but its commonplace in real life.
THe thing is the tachos are drawn real time so it wouldn't be just 'spin the texture, move 0 a few degrees back' but would prolly require more coding. Or i am completely wrong and it's done with 2 lines of code, either way, i have no idea.
It does look like that. The new temperature (and/or fuel?) symbol in the dashboard instruments showed up with the extended characters, so the other characters (RPM, etc) are likely rendered the same way.

It'd be cool to have though, we wouldn't even have to glance at the tach anymore. It could be part of the car specific 'view' options, like a "1 o-clock tachometer redline" checkbox or something.
The ideal option would be making it totally customisable, having a slider that goes from 0' rotation to 180' either way. How it could be coded I have no idea, and it might be a bit strange in some road cars, but for racers it does seem like a good suggestion. It could be applicable only to cars with digital speedos, for example.

Sam
I don't understand how customizing your own car is strange. Most cars could have it done by just sawing around the tach perimeter, and sticking it sideways back into the hole. Even in a Veyron I'd do it, (can't recall at the moment) if the tach wasn't oriented like I wanted it to be.. I'd do it cleanly, but I'd still do it. I reckon most people would do it to their crappy little UF1 too.
Why have it only on cars with a digital speedo?

Totaly customizable is something I'd suggest, if I hadn't read Scawen say he wasn't hot about adding options for the sake of it; i.e. the simpler the better. It's probable that the alternate rotation most people will want is the redline at 1-oc.
I suggested only having it on cars with a digital speedo because if you're going to go to the level of customisation where you remove the tachometer purely to re-orient it, you'd probably fit a digital speedo too. Thus, if this was the only option we got, it might look somewhat strange alongside other non-modified dashboard instruments. If, however, the whole lot was customisable, then that probably should be available for all cars.

That said, it's a fairly minor thing anyway, as we already have a perfectly accurate shift point light in all cars even if you can't tell from the engine note.

Sam

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG