The online racing simulator
Safety car
(20 posts, started )
Safety car
Ok, here is my plan: I'm going to make BL1 FBM competition for demo-users only. The race will be pretty long, say, 40 laps, so just about anything can happen. You guessed it right: The first prize would be S2 voucher!

It would make it much more interesting if I would use safety car if required. Sure, I could use it without any kind of logic, but it would require too many admins to monitor if someone is overtaking while safery car is on track etc. I made a rough list for the features I would like to have:

When safety car joins track (Not just exiting garage, but to leave pit-lane also), it will automatically activate these features:
- Every racer gets a message on upper corner of his screen. Something like "Safety car on track".
- When you are near the safety car and you are not the leading driver, message "You are allowed to overtake the safety car" will replace the "Safety car on track" message. When the leading driver is behind the safety car (And there are no cars between), no more overtaking is allowed.
Quoting wikipedia:
Quote :The F1 Safety Car (SC) has both yellow and green lights mounted on its roof in the form of a light bar; the green light allows the driver just behind the SC to pass. Once the race leader is right behind the SC, the yellow lights go on

When the leading driver is behind safety car, it receives message (Only the safety car receives the message) "Leading driver behind the safety car", so he knows that he should initialize the lights (By using LFSstrobe, for example).
- After this have happened and someone overtakes the safety car, he will get a black flag (Instant disqualification for a driver), and thus gets a message "You are disqualified for overtaking the safety car". He will then enter the pits within next lap or he will be instantly specced. After he makes a pit-stop, he gets specced. I just hate suddently disappearing cars...
- If someone overtakes any other car, he will get a "stop & go" penalty. However, if he overtakes someone who initilizes yellow flag, he don't get that penalty.
- When safety car enters the pit-lane, message "Safety car on track" will disappear and race continues.

These features would also be nice. However, these requires more work. Quoting wikipedia:
Quote :the pit entrance, and the message "pit lane open" is given. A ten second stop/go penalty is imposed on any driver who enters the pit lane and whose car is refuelled before the pit lane open message is given. However, any car which was in the pit entry or pit lane when the safety car was deployed will not incur a penalty. When the safety car and the drivers behind it are on the start/finish straight, there is a red light at the exit of the pit lane. Drivers who go past the red light are disqualified from the race. This has happened to several drivers during the years.

Quote :When the circuit has been cleared of the incident that caused the safety car to be deployed, the message "lapped cars may now overtake" is given. Any lapped cars which are between the cars running on the lead lap at the time the safety car was deployed are required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car. They must then proceed around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking, and take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car.

Questions: When safety car is on the track, is it allowed to overtake other cars, even the leading driver is not yet behind a safety car? If yes, make it so that when the message "Safety car on track" appears, it is not allowed to overtake. I'm not sure how it goes, I am not a big fan of F1...
Quote from Gekkibi :Ok, here is my plan: I'm going to make BL1 FBM competition for demo-users only. The race will be pretty long, say, 40 laps, so just about anything can happen. You guessed it right: The first prize would be S2 voucher!

It would make it much more interesting if I would use safety car if required. Sure, I could use it without any kind of logic, but it would require too many admins to monitor if someone is overtaking while safery car is on track etc. I made a rough list for the features I would like to have:

first question is, is the safety car being driven by a person, or you making the safety car an AI car?
Quote from Gekkibi :
When safety car joins track (Not just exiting garage, but to leave pit-lane also), it will automatically activate these features:
- Every racer gets a message on upper corner of his screen. Something like "Safety car on track".

for this, you could try out a program i already submitted which allows you to control the condition of the track and pitlane.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=40857
Quote from Gekkibi :
- When you are near the safety car and you are not the leading driver, message "You are allowed to overtake the safety car" will replace the "Safety car on track" message. When the leading driver is behind the safety car (And there are no cars between), no more overtaking is allowed.
Quoting wikipedia:

When the leading driver is behind safety car, it receives message (Only the safety car receives the message) "Leading driver behind the safety car", so he knows that he should initialize the lights (By using LFSstrobe, for example).

could possibly be done, though there may be problems, as explained below.
Quote from Gekkibi :
- After this have happened and someone overtakes the safety car, he will get a black flag (Instant disqualification for a driver), and thus gets a message "You are disqualified for overtaking the safety car". He will then enter the pits within next lap or he will be instantly specced. After he makes a pit-stop, he gets specced. I just hate suddently disappearing cars...

problem with this is, when two cars are really close together, during a safety car period, LFS starts to report them as switching places numerous times, depending on acceleration and braking, etc. so you would end up probably with numerous false-positives, thus maybe giving a black flag to possibly everybody.
Quote from Gekkibi :
- If someone overtakes any other car, he will get a "stop & go" penalty. However, if he overtakes someone who initilizes yellow flag, he don't get that penalty.

same thing here.
Quote from Gekkibi :
- When safety car enters the pit-lane, message "Safety car on track" will disappear and race continues.

These features would also be nice. However, these requires more work. Quoting wikipedia:

Questions: When safety car is on the track, is it allowed to overtake other cars, even the leading driver is not yet behind a safety car? If yes, make it so that when the message "Safety car on track" appears, it is not allowed to overtake. I'm not sure how it goes, I am not a big fan of F1...

for something like this for your league, which is a great idea BTW, i still think that you would need real people as marshals. though being a demo league, you're limited to the number of people on the server, but you may be able to get away with at least 2 people as marshals on the server. then afterwards, review the replay for penalties that were not caught during the race.
Burnsy, There is a few issues there, you could fix with a few simple checks. That said, InSim still wont be best to create someting like this. Sadly, i dont think InSim will get anymore attention in S2...
Quote from burnsy1882 :first question is, is the safety car being driven by a person, or you making the safety car an AI car?
for this, you could try out a program i already submitted which allows you to control the condition of the track and pitlane.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=40857

Driven by one of the admins.

I will try your program later today. Downloaded and checked the config.ini, and now I have one tiny (And n00bish) question for you: How can I activate two separate insim-ports, as I am also running LFSremote?
Quote from Gekkibi :Driven by one of the admins.

I will try your program later today. Downloaded and checked the config.ini, and now I have one tiny (And n00bish) question for you: How can I activate two separate insim-ports, as I am also running LFSremote?

You dont need to. InSim can accept 8 connections on 1 port.
Evry time race start it stands into a wall ready to go out. somewhere :P and park there when he goes onto pit again
(just a suggest:tilt
Quote from mcgas001 :Burnsy, There is a few issues there, you could fix with a few simple checks. That said, InSim still wont be best to create someting like this. Sadly, i dont think InSim will get anymore attention in S2...

yeah, true. but would be a lot of work to check and recheck; i still think there'd be a lot of false-positives though.

however, i think someone could do it (read; not me, not smart enough i think)
Quote from Gekkibi :Driven by one of the admins.

use the same insim port number as the other one. you can have 8 different TCP connections on the same port number.
Quote from burnsy1882 :insim port number as the other one. you can have 8 different TCP connections on the same port number.

Duh! Stupid me! I didn't tried that. I tried to put two /insim=xxxxx rows in config-file etc.

Every day I learn something new. <3
Might as well post this in here. I have troubles using racedirector.

It gives this error after "connecting" text:
InsimHandler experienced an innner failure
System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal

setup.cfg:
// optional: InSim port
/insim=29998

config.ini:
// insim port number enabled in dedicated host config
port=29998

1) Configured setup-files
2) Launched dedicated server
3) Launched racedirector.exe
Do you have atleast .Net 2.0 installed?
Quote from mcgas001 :Do you have atleast .Net 2.0 installed?

Yes I have. LFSstrobe requires that, and it is working fine.
Add/remove program shows that I have .NET 1.1 and 2.0
did you make sure the right IP address was in the config.ini file? you would use 127.0.0.1 if you have the program on the same server as the dedi host. otherwise, if you are running it from your own computer, get the IP address from either the setup.cfg file of the dedi host, or ask the hoster for it.
It is running on the same computer, so I use 127.0.0.1

Damn, found the reason for all this. It is running on the same computer, but it is connected to the server via LAN, and I have proxy.
Going to test it now.

Edit: I guess it would work pretty well, so I don't require safety car -insim. However, I found a bug: If pit is closed and you shift+p, then you will get penalty when you exit the pits. However, doesn't matter, because I'm going to put midrace=no.
Quote from Gekkibi :However, I found a bug: If pit is closed and you shift+p, then you will get penalty when you exit the pits. However, doesn't matter, because I'm going to put midrace=no.

Doesnt make much sense to me.. I would expect it to work in that way.. If the pits are closed, then exiting them should IMO result in a penalty.
Quote :
A racer will incur a penalty if they enter and exit the pit lane while it is closed. Subsequently, if said driver enters the pit lane while it is open, but leaves when it's closed, said driver will not incur a penalty.

I understood that you can exit the pit, as long as you haven't entered when it is closed. Maybe I understood it incorrectly.
the program doesn't know if you've "entered" the pits if you just shift+p/s. it does if you actually enter it when driving, but i don't think that that is really a bug.
when is it race how can i told my cousin to racing he need S2 voucher
Is there going to be a safety car (ai)?
Quote from aroX123 :Is there going to be a safety car (ai)?

...If you would read before you post you would find the answer all by yourself...

Safety car
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG