The online racing simulator
A screenie from the darkside.
(40 posts, started )
The screenshots I see here are fantastic. Windows does its job well (i.e. playing games). I thought I would post a shot of my linux desktop running LFS. To let the darkside shine for a bit.

I chose this shot because it not only shows LFS running, but also shows the stability of Linux. I have LFS, LFSViewer, Email client, TheGimp image editor, Firefox with 5 or 6ix tabs open, System Monitor to show load CPU=96%, a game of blackjack and Xmen avi playing on the second desktop. Machine is still very responsive. I switch between apps as I wish. I believe (from experience) Windows would have choked by now.

Athlon XP 3000, 512m men, 200gig drive Geforce FX 5600 256mb, TV card, Live 5.1 sound, 2 nics, dvd, cdrwiter, running Ubuntu linux 5.10 (Breezy)
Attached images
stable.png
Uhm, yea... err...

"Good for you", I guess.

I don't understand what your intentions behind this thread are?
Windows bashing?
A adore-my-cool-system circlejerk?
Show that you can play three different games, watch a video, design skins for LFS, delete spammails and browse the forums at the same time?

Quote from AndroidXP :Uhm, yea... err...

"Good for you", I guess.

I don't understand what your intentions behind this thread are?
Windows bashing?
A adore-at-my-cool-system circlejerk?
Show that you can play three different games, watch a video, design skins for LFS, delete spammails and browse the forums at the same time?

Exactly what I was thinking, just to show off his system
Quote from tecwizrd :I have LFS, LFSViewer, Email client, TheGimp image editor, Firefox with 5 or 6ix tabs open, System Monitor to show load CPU=96%, a game of blackjack and Xmen avi playing on the second desktop. Machine is still very responsive. I switch between apps as I wish. I believe (from experience) Windows would have choked by now.

are you joking?

here's a screenshot of windows "choking" as you'd call it.

p4 3.0, 512mb of ram.
I have LFS, LFSViewer, Email Client, Opera with 3 tabs open, MSN Messenger, Skype, media player playing initial d, winamp playing an mp3, windows explorer AND ADOBE PHOTOSHOP!!

please note my LFS is all set to maximum detail settings (which yours clearly aint) and im still at over 60fps.

linux may finally be stable but if you think windows chokes under the same situation, think again

i wouldnt usually reply to a thread like this, and indeed i am no windows fanboy, but i think credit should be given when its due.

and if you're a gamer running linux, you're just stubborn.
Takumi, did i ever tell you i love you?

oh, and yeah, my system would die under a load like that....
#6 - Tick
Since were showing off!
Ok..
Mm... I didn't know LFS even works under Linux.
alright sorry
I was not really trying to piss anyone off. I just wanted to post a pic to show off. I guess you are right, I didn't think of it that way at the time. I was also hoping to get some post of other systems doing this much work, and playing LFS.

As for the fps in LFS I get between 60 and 80 when not windowed. I do have all graphics turned up with AA and AF enabled at 2x. I am using cedega which I believe degrades the performance somewhat due to the translation (for lack of a better word). Although HL and MOHAA work fine.

I would like to say that I don't see many windows machines like Takumi's, that are able to remain stable all day while doing all that work. How long do you get before something crashes Takumi?

As for Linux gamming. I play UT2004 (OpenGL glory), Doom3, Quake4, HL2, HL, Q3, RTCW, MOHAA, LFS, Racer, Serious Sam 1 & 2, and a few others. If more companies would produce games for Linux then I would have more to play.

Now for the stability remark.
Takumi --> " linux may finally be stable"

I suppose that 1 year uptimes are common in the windows world then? In the 10 yrs I have been using linux, stablility is the one thing I have not had to complain about. I reboot only for kernel upgrades.
No I say good post. LFS isnt designed for Linux and hardly anyone succeeded in running LFS like it should run on a Windows system. And it even runs stable with all those other processes running.
Quote from tecwizrd :I reboot only for kernel upgrades.

Good for you I reboot my XP about once a day or two, and I'd switch windows to linux if someone came to my house for couple of days, teaching me how to use it properly.
Quote from tecwizrd :I would like to say that I don't see many windows machines like Takumi's, that are able to remain stable all day while doing all that work. How long do you get before something crashes Takumi?

i am not sure if you are serious here but i cant remember my last crash. its most likely i've found if a program hangs on xp it's just that single program (which you can then end the process) and everything is ok again. if you build a machine right, and with anything look after it (most probs on windows relate to virii and spyware screwing things - which results in instability and a reinstall). i have no virus scanner - and haven't had one for 2 years now. if you're cluey enough you don't need one. a spyware check every 6 months turns up nothing. perhaps its because i use opera and firefox.

honestly i could run the system all day like in the screenshot if i wanted to, seemed pretty smooth surprisingly enough. as for uptimes i don't know, i have no need to leave my pc on overnight

is my pc just lucky? i don't think so. windows is not perfect (nor would i claim it to be) but im getting the impression you haven't used windows for a considerable amount of time, or simply had a bad run with it. since win 2000 i reckon it's turned into a pretty decent operating system.

you'd hardly be able to call linux flawless either, as nothing made by humans can ever be.
You can get AF and FSAA working under Linux? Cool, I might have more reasons to give it a go (again). The only trouble was I had to get someone else around to get it working properly (says the man who can fix anything), then I installed the OS updates over the net, rebooted and it sat there at the command prompt. Great. I know Linux is great and all but when it's so damn difficult to install and configure, it's just grrr. The manual is no help either (that's why I actually paid money for it), since it explains only the real basics that I picked up in 5 mins anyway.
Quote from tecwizrd :I do have all graphics turned up with AA and AF enabled at 2x.

i dont see any sky!
Quote from tecwizrd :I do have all graphics turned up with AA and AF enabled at 2x.

In the LFSViewer window, theres as much AA as Elton John has interest in pussy.
Quote from tecwizrd :I suppose that 1 year uptimes are common in the windows world then? In the 10 yrs I have been using linux, stablility is the one thing I have not had to complain about. I reboot only for kernel upgrades.

Stability is not a problem on Windows anymore. Days of Windows 95 are long gone. A Windows XP very rarely crashes entirely, only programs may crash, but they won't bring the whole system down. The reason why you don't see so much windows-machines with very long uptimes, is that updating the system needs rebooting.
Quote from geeman1 :Stability is not a problem on Windows anymore. Days of Windows 95 are long gone. A Windows XP very rarely crashes entirely, only programs may crash, but they won't bring the whole system down. The reason why you don't see so much windows-machines with very long uptimes, is that updating the system needs rebooting.

good for you

i have had several crashes under windows, i cant count them.
Well, my XP certainly crashes regularly when I try to play GTA:SA. If I play 5 hours straight I have to reboot once or twice. Usually it just stops doing anything. Of course if I was interested to wait 30mins XP would probably have loaded the task manager (30mins after pressing ctrl-alt-del). Not that Linux is/was stable neither. When I had it on my own computer I managed to lock it many times, just nothing happening.

Damn
Quote from geeman1 :Stability is not a problem on Windows anymore. Days of Windows 95 are long gone. A Windows XP very rarely crashes entirely, only programs may crash, but they won't bring the whole system down. The reason why you don't see so much windows-machines with very long uptimes, is that updating the system needs rebooting.

You can't say that Windows is stable, only because the whole system doesn't crash. You may say that it's not Windows what crashes (in most cases it isn't - its the programs like you said), but that doesn't change the fact that Windows is an unstable OS compared to it's "rivals", Linux or OS X. (Flame protection armor: I barely have any personal experience of the latest two). Yesterday I had to reinstall my nvidia display driver because it "got broken by itself", crashing the whole system while trying to change display settings. Today I've had one photoshop crash and a updating-related reboot (because fixing the wmf-hole)...

This is going wide off topic, but who cares.. its always fun to have a little chatty-chat..
Quote from Bob Smith :You can get AF and FSAA working under Linux? Cool, I might have more reasons to give it a go (again). The only trouble was I had to get someone else around to get it working properly (says the man who can fix anything), then I installed the OS updates over the net, rebooted and it sat there at the command prompt. Great. I know Linux is great and all but when it's so damn difficult to install and configure, it's just grrr. The manual is no help either (that's why I actually paid money for it), since it explains only the real basics that I picked up in 5 mins anyway.

Try Ubuntu. Its very user orientated, and tries to keep things as simple as possible, whilst still maintaining a level of sophistication for more advanced users. The only thing that you might miss would be the root user (everything in ubuntu is sudo orientated - although it is possible to enable the root user).
Quote from frokki :You can't say that Windows is stable, only because the whole system doesn't crash. You may say that it's not Windows what crashes (in most cases it isn't - its the programs like you said), but that doesn't change the fact that Windows is an unstable OS compared to it's "rivals", Linux or OS X.

Well. In my opinion Windows is now has the same level of stability as do Linux and Mac OS X. Programs don't make the whole system crash anymore. Sure there are few occasional crashes sometimes, but you can't say Linux or OS X to be 100% stable either.

Just so nobody calls me a Windows fanatic, I have tested Linux on my desktop and I have server running on it. Infact I would use Linux as my desktop OS too, if all Windows games would work 100% on it
A picture says more then a thousand words .. (for some reason the vlc playback is black (i guess it has to do with overlaying the video to tv) but, yeah .. its there even though you can't tell by the picture.
Attached images
Purrint078.jpg
#23 - AJS
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :are you joking?

here's a screenshot of windows "choking" as you'd call it.
http://img.photobucket.com/alb ... Takumi_Projectd/owned.jpg

p4 3.0, 512mb of ram.
I have LFS, LFSViewer, Email Client, Opera with 3 tabs open, MSN Messenger, Skype, media player playing initial d, winamp playing an mp3, windows explorer AND ADOBE PHOTOSHOP!!

please note my LFS is all set to maximum detail settings (which yours clearly aint) and im still at over 60fps.

linux may finally be stable but if you think windows chokes under the same situation, think again

i wouldnt usually reply to a thread like this, and indeed i am no windows fanboy, but i think credit should be given when its due.

and if you're a gamer running linux, you're just stubborn.

Agreed. I use both WinXP and Linux but stability was never an issue with XP. In fact i got more crashes with Linux but that might be because i´m new to this OS or it doesn´t like my hardware. It even hang on install because it wouldn´t download the updates and died ... Suse Linux 9.3

I still like it and it´s a good secure alternative OS and one should be open minded, right ? Oh and it comes with lots of free software you can work with.

P.S. That scene from Initial D Episode 22 was so funny. I wish they would produce a new stage dedicated to Kenji-senpai and the gang
Quote from felplacerad :A picture says more then a thousand words ..

Hehe, looks strange seeing my face on someone else's desktop.

(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG