The online racing simulator
A screenie from the darkside.
(40 posts, started )
Quote from Bob Smith :Hehe, looks strange seeing my face on someone else's desktop.

strange but nice ...
Quote from Bob Smith :Hehe, looks strange seeing my face on someone else's desktop.

It's strange to see someone's face on avatar.
#28 - Vain
So to give this thread a senseful note:
Are there any problems you stumbled across while using LFS under linux? Which built of Wine or Cedega did you use? What are your (interesting) settings for wine and LFS? Did you have to modify the settings?
I also worked on LFS with under Linux, but I didn't yet have the heart to work on FF under linux yet. Anyway, I believe linux is for working, not for gaming. (That's why my laptop is currently running linux - I'm at the university.)

And a small note on windows versus linux:
Both OSs have a different concept-paper. Both do well in their concept. Windows doesn't try to be linux and linux doesn't try to be windows. If you don't want windows to automatically install hardware for you, you should consider linux, if you like the fact that MSN-messager always automatically starts for you when you start your computer, you might like windows. Everything has pros and cons. Just because someone chose different pros/cons for himself to base his desicion on doesn't mean you have to feel attacked.

Vain
@Vain:

Oh, wait, I think both Linux and Windows try to copy MacOS! Remember who invented the graphical desktop and the trash bin on it? Ha. Hm, maybe... it may have been GEO for C64 and not Mac who had it first, but... pointless.
wonderful to see this much reaction.
I love to talk with people about linux.

I will start with the AA and AF issue. I assume that they are enabled because I set them in the "nvidia-settings" configuration program. I have not done any real test to see if they are, except in game graphics. I will admit there is a degradation in fps and grafix quallity when in window mode, but I assure you it works well in fullscreen. Takumi -- I did forget the sky. I run it that way just for the performance gain. I don't look at the sky anyway, being that I am chasing the guy in front or running from the guy behind me.

I haven't experienced a lock-up of the system, I do have programs lock up on occasion. I hit ctrl+alt+F1 (or 2 thru 8) to switch to a virtual terminal (command line) login, stop the offending program and go back to my desktop (using F7) to continue.

I have to say to you guys that have tried linux in the past. Give Ubuntu a try. Use the Ship-It link to get them to send you up to 10 sets of disc for free. Easy setup and system maintenance. Plenty of Help online and on the CD's. Nvidia drivers are a point and click install. ATI as well.

Vain -- I went to the trangaming site to get cedega and installed it. I don't like the front end to 5.0 so I use 4.4.3-1 (with ubuntu use the deb package). Install was straight forward, no special steps needed. I then unzipped the LFS folder to where I wanted it and ran the game from the CL. You will need to edit the system.reg file to unlock the game. Follow this post by the_angry_angel about mid ways down the thread to get it working.

Those of you that enjoy stability under windows, good for you because millions of other people don't get that pleasure.

I will offer my assistance on any problems you may have with Linux.
just a note to get us closer to back on topic
I thought I would post this for those of you that are thinking of using linux.

This is a shot of my p3 600 Compaq Armada e500 256mb 60gig, wifi usb sound also screen brightness control. I don't have 3d features yet because ATI does not support cards this old. I am forced to use reversed engineered open source drivers. Nvidia supports almost all cards they have ever made. The machine proves to be as stable as my main box, and its quite fast enough for what I do with it.
Attached images
Screenshot.png
#32 - SamH
I don't have any problems with running Windows effectively, and I don't ever crash. My Windows2000 machine had an uptime in excess of a year. It didn't crash, I moved house. If I'd owned a UPS...

I don't think that people who run Linux and boast stability compared with Windows are presenting a balanced view. Most people who run Windows are completely PC-illiterate, and wouldn't know how to kill an ailing process to save their life. Of course a PC can APPEAR to be unstable in those MILLIONS of hands. Wanna see them try it with an OS as user-friendly as Linux???

Windows is what Linux isn't. It's accessible to the masses. We know how smart the masses are.. they voted for Bush. TWICE. Nuff said. You HAVE to be more technically savvy to use Linux than you do to use Windows. Linux is a tech-head's paradise. Just don't try making out that Linux in MY hands would run as well as Windows would in YOURS because that argument doesn't stand any test. It sure didn't when I tried running Linux. It sucked. I had WAY too much hassle with it.. Redhat? Eat my hat!

If Linux users wish to boast more stability than Windows, that's their shout, but I really believe that they need to quit quoting the unsubstantiated and completely unjustifiable tripe that's sustained the arrogant Linux forum since Windows95. Get up to speed with technology FFS.

I'm not a Windows fanboy (and if I were, I wouldn't mind saying so). I'm a holder of the belief that everyone has a right to technological accessibility. Until I see a Linux OS that's as comprehensive and functional in my dad's technophobic hands as Windows is, I'll continue to believe that THIS philosophy is STRICTLY the domain of the Windows OS.

There's a hell of a lot more I could say about blaming an OS for the crappy coding of software houses, and pointing the finger of blame at the environment rather than the lousy application. More Windows applications are coded badly because, let's face it, there's BUTTLOADS MORE OF THEM. CHEAP SHOT! Let's AT LEAST TRY to get things in PROPER perspective, eh? GEEZ!
#33 - Jakg
Quote from SamH :I don't have any problems with running Windows effectively, and I don't ever crash. My Windows2000 machine had an uptime in excess of a year. It didn't crash, I moved house. If I'd owned a UPS...

I don't think that people who run Linux and boast stability compared with Windows are presenting a balanced view. Most people who run Windows are completely PC-illiterate, and wouldn't know how to kill an ailing process to save their life. Of course a PC can APPEAR to be unstable in those MILLIONS of hands. Wanna see them try it with an OS as user-friendly as Linux???

Windows is what Linux isn't. It's accessible to the masses. We know how smart the masses are.. they voted for Bush. TWICE. Nuff said. You HAVE to be more technically savvy to use Linux than you do to use Windows. Linux is a tech-head's paradise. Just don't try making out that Linux in MY hands would run as well as Windows would in YOURS because that argument doesn't stand any test. It sure didn't when I tried running Linux. It sucked. I had WAY too much hassle with it.. Redhat? Eat my hat!

If Linux users wish to boast more stability than Windows, that's their shout, but I really believe that they need to quit quoting the unsubstantiated and completely unjustifiable tripe that's sustained the arrogant Linux forum since Windows95. Get up to speed with technology FFS.

I'm not a Windows fanboy (and if I were, I wouldn't mind saying so). I'm a holder of the belief that everyone has a right to technological accessibility. Until I see a Linux OS that's as comprehensive and functional in my dad's technophobic hands as Windows is, I'll continue to believe that THIS philosophy is STRICTLY the domain of the Windows OS.

There's a hell of a lot more I could say about blaming an OS for the crappy coding of software houses, and pointing the finger of blame at the environment rather than the lousy application. More Windows applications are coded badly because, let's face it, there's BUTTLOADS MORE OF THEM. CHEAP SHOT! Let's AT LEAST TRY to get things in PROPER perspective, eh? GEEZ!

i use Linux, but due to their being very little programs that run on it, if i actually want to do anything i am forced to use windows, oh well, the life of a Geek...
#34 - Jakg
Quote from tecwizrd :The screenshots I see here are fantastic. Windows does its job well (i.e. playing games). I thought I would post a shot of my linux desktop running LFS. To let the darkside shine for a bit.

I chose this shot because it not only shows LFS running, but also shows the stability of Linux. I have LFS, LFSViewer, Email client, TheGimp image editor, Firefox with 5 or 6ix tabs open, System Monitor to show load CPU=96%, a game of blackjack and Xmen avi playing on the second desktop. Machine is still very responsive. I switch between apps as I wish. I believe (from experience) Windows would have choked by now.

Athlon XP 3000, 512m men, 200gig drive Geforce FX 5600 256mb, TV card, Live 5.1 sound, 2 nics, dvd, cdrwiter, running Ubuntu linux 5.10 (Breezy)

exactly how are you runnign LFS on linux, my friend runs SUSE Linux 9.3 and would like to know how to get LFS running on it!
#35 - Vain
Does anyone have experience with FFB on wine/Linux?
Especially Logitech MOMO Racing, or Logitech Force 3D (my FFB-shifter).

Vain
#36 - SamH
In my haste to have my say, I forgot to snap and link my desktop screenshot. http://www.anorarchy.com/site_images/desk1.jpg

The printscreen didn't (for some perfectly logical reason that I don't know) pick up Rocky Horror Show playing in Media Player Classic. Before I ran LFS, my CPU was hammering away at a choking 4% usage. LFS does chew cycles.. but there's plenty of room for it. I recall now that the last time my PC crashed was due to a failing Maxtor HD. The time before that, I was in the middle of a UT game and it was because I had unmatched RAM - apparently AMD64s can get annoyed with unmatched RAM.

I have a PIII 1GHz machine that doesn't choke either. It would be happier with more than the 256Mb of RAM that it posesses, but it doesn't die and has never crashed. It's running XP Pro SP2.
Quote from SamH :The printscreen didn't (for some perfectly logical reason that I don't know) pick up Rocky Horror Show playing in Media Player Classic.

That's because of how the hardware accellerated video output works. The screen itself is actually only a black layer (what you see on the screenshot) and your GFX card directly outputs the video stream onto this layer.

To make screenshots of videos you have to go to the options of your player and somewhere find the amount of hardware/video accelleration. If you set that to "None" or "Software", you can make screenshots
It's a bloody shame that we will probably never see a system/os that will do it all well. Big corporations are hogging unrealistic patents and strong-arming governments to enforce stricter software restrictions. So fast forward 20 years and we will still be in status quo as no-one will be able to invent new innovations in fear of million dollar lawsuits. Now that's the real screenie from the Dark Side(TM)...

Dark Side(TM) is a registered trademark of MicroSoft & LucasFilm co. All references to Dark Side(TM) must be reported and royalty paid in advance or criminal prosecution will follow under copyright infrigment law. By reading this EULA you acknowledge that Sony BMG will now own your soul and we will sue your sorry ass if we don't get bigger profits.
The real point.
Quote from AndroidXP :That's because of how the hardware accellerated video output works. The screen itself is actually only a black layer (what you see on the screenshot) and your GFX card directly outputs the video stream onto this layer.

I have the same problem, this must be why.

I will admit that WinXP SP2 is alot more stable than the past products from MS. Althought I brag about uptime and stability.

I use Linux for it's main strong point, that being the freedom (as in beer and speech) it brings me to use my machine the way I wish. If you take a look at where MS want's to take us as a computing community you should be affraid. DRM and Trusted computing are some of the ways they want to insure you buy Windows and Upgrade when they want you to. Software patents and strongarm techniques are others.

Vista (aka Longhorn) calls for an absolute minimum 512mb ram, which means alot of people will have to buy new machines to use it the way it's mean't to be. There will be a scaled down install with some graphics features shut off to allow it to run on the minimum hardware. OpenGL clearly gives me better performance but will be shut out in favor of DX because MS does not want GL to aid in the loss of their gamming market. Paying game companies to use DX over OGL is another tactic they like to use.

As far as ordinary people using linux, I have set up quite a few people on distros like Ubuntu, Fedora, and DSL. They all have had very good experiences with their new systems (even though some had 5 or 6 yr old equipment). they run faster or as fast in most cases, without upgrades.

As linux grows in market share we will get better support from hardware vendors for obscure harware, games, and multimedia playing.

The later works fine although it is Illegal for me to play DVD's on my Linux box, because of patents and MS control. Also becuse the movie and music companies want you to buy one copy of each dvd or cd to go on each of your devices, insuring their revenue stream will continue to grow.

In conclusion, I say again that if you haven't tried Linux in awhile please give Ubuntu a try. I will be glad to offer my assistance anytime.

Quote from spankmeyer :Dark Side(TM) is a registered trademark of MicroSoft & LucasFilm co. All references to Dark Side(TM) must be reported and royalty paid in advance or criminal prosecution will follow under copyright infrigment law. By reading this EULA you acknowledge that Sony BMG will now own your soul and we will sue your sorry ass if we don't get bigger profits.

My point exactly.

The human skin, Ipod after being sold by apple for more than 2 yrs. After 20 yrs of free use the fat(fat32) file system are now patented by MS. Welcome to the Uninted Corporation of America. Let freedom belong to those who own it.
Quote from tecwizrd :Let freedom belong to those who own it.

Actually it is "Let freedom belong to those who can afford it."

A screenie from the darkside.
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG