The online racing simulator
Quote from Stigpt :I have great respect for LH, and am not at all surprised by the results so far - remember this is his SECOND year. Schumacher had how many seasons before he managed a decent result?
Brilliant season last time round, now he needs to gain experience and cool head. Hes the kind of driver that is all nice and smiles off the track, but all "hahaha I passed you, heres teh finger, you monkeh!" kinda guy on track.
In a way, reminds me of Senna. (though senna was more the "no way you are passing ME!" kinda guy.)

LH is still no shumi, shumi manged to win 2 titles in a car that was much slower then the front runner, and manged to rebuild a team from midfeild into the most successful team in history.
And if Schumi had been at least vaguely likeable I would have suffered much less from all the media hype back then...
Quote from Linsen :And if Schumi had been at least vaguely likeable I would have suffered much less from all the media hype back then...

and who is likeable?
Quote from Mustafur :and who is likeable?

Well, I like different things about different drivers, but if I had to choose one, it would probably be Heidfeld overall. Also Vettel usually comes across as a nice person.

The problem is, that here in Germany, the media naturally focus on german drivers, so the broadcasting channel RTL usually only talks to Heidfeld, Rosberg, Vettel, Sutil and Glock. If it wasn't for this forum, I'd probably never have known about Coulthards refreshing bluntness for example. So, if I say Heidfeld and Vettel, that's basically only my choice out of the five Tschermenns. I don't know enough about all the others (except for Alonso, maybe, which probably has to do with the fact that he keeps exposing himself).

And yes, Scarlett Johansson is right up there with Heidfeld and Vettel. Except Vettel is better looking, but if Scarlett had more facial hair, she'd probably come in slightly in front of Nick.
Quote from tristancliffe :
Don't even TRY to compare LH to Schumi in terms of results.

Agree, after last year there is really nobody that would look good being compared to Hamilton (if you only compare debut seasons). And Hamilton has already done one thing that Schumacher refused to even attempt: beat a proven race winner in the same car.
Quote from J.B. :And Hamilton has already done one thing that Schumacher refused to even attempt: beat a proven race winner in the same car.

uh how about beating piquet a 3 time world champion in his first ever (part) season at benetton?
Quote from tristancliffe :

I think LH in time to come may well be the new Shumi, I know a few people will disagree with me but that is their view and I respect that. Their is no denying that LH is a good F1 driver for his age and only been racing a F1 car for a year, I know he tested for them in 2006 but he has only been pushing the limits on the track.
I know some people will not support LH because it happens, like people who support say Liverpool FC and others support Man U, just used this as an example. We will never get rid of the arguments in sport, that what gives it part of the atmosphere.

People have their views what will be different to others. I just can't understand why people are still arguing over the incident as it has been sorted by the Mclaren and Renault, so we now what happened and people are still arguing over it, find it pretty funny myself.
I can see why people don't like LH because he is getting so much credibility from the press and people working in F1. But, I think he is actually a good sportsman who loves his sport and is a friendly guy. He may do these immature movements when he overtakes others but when he's on the track he is bloody brilliant. I like the way he slides round corners to overtake people, people who haven't seen this watch the monza race from last season where he done it to a Ferrari, I think it was a Ferrari, almost sure it was.
Quote from Shotglass :uh how about beating piquet a 3 time world champion in his first ever (part) season at benetton?

MS 1991 Benetton results: 5, 6, 6, ret, ret
NP in the same races: 6, 5, 11, 7, 4

That's 4 points for MS and 4.5 points for NP (because of washed out Austrailia).
NP wasn't racing in F1 in 1992
Oops, meant '91 of course.
Quote from J.B. :MS 1991 Benetton results: 5, 6, 6, ret, ret
NP in the same races: 6, 5, 11, 7, 4

Looks like MS beat NP twice then.

Quote from SamH :I agree.. spectacular rookie season by anyones' standards. Credit where credit is due, that was a phenomenal season for anyone in their first year coming into F1, in any car.

Memory fails me, so can you point out to me any time in the history of modern F1 (meaning the start of downforce cars) when a rookie started on the most powerful car on the grid after one year of 'free' testing? I very much doubt he would have had scored even half the points had he started on any midfield team, given that statistically he only arrives 1st on the races he makes a pole position on. Much like Massa, even though he did actually get into first without a pole position once, this weekend.

Quote from SamH :I think the expectations on him are unreasonably high this year, and the hype may backfire on the sport in a big way down the line if he can't live up to it.

Turns out he wants to win, he's as hyper, and as desperate to climb the field as all the other F1 drivers are. Who could have predicted that?

The expectations were unreasonably high last year as well, but that didn't stop the hype. Fifteen days prior to last '07 season's GP, pretty much nobody counted Räikkönen to win.

I would rather guess that he's not a great overtaker. I mean, such a class driver getting stopped by all those seemingly 'skill less' drivers at the back? Pure irony, in case you missed it.

Quote from tristancliffe :1st race? 1st [part] season? 2nd Season? 3rd Season? 4th Season... Oh yes, all of them [taking into account the fact he didn't walk into the best team at the time. And he beat a triple World Champion by a bigger margin than LH did over FA.

Completely agree. People focuses too much on a driver that still has won 'nothing' apart from some races, deviating their views from actual world champions that still race, and I think they still have much more weight in the outcome of the season than people gives to the hyped guy.

Also, Schumi holds plenty of records, and if you dare to look at statistics, it's no wonder he was dominating. To some extent, I dislike Alonso for winning those two WDC to Schumi because I guess he could still race nowadays, had he wished. MS was one of those drivers that set some new standards on a variety of things, including mechanical work. It's not unfounded hype and it's not bias while talking about him, it's all there, in numbers, and everyone can check it.
Quote from DeMS :Memory fails me, so can you point out to me any time in the history of modern F1 (meaning the start of downforce cars) when a rookie started on the most powerful car on the grid after one year of 'free' testing? I very much doubt he would have had scored even half the points had he started on any midfield team, given that statistically he only arrives 1st on the races he makes a pole position on. Much like Massa, even though he did actually get into first without a pole position once, this weekend.

Damon Hill and David Coulthard spring to mind.

Damon did pretty well considering Prost, Senna and Schumacher were on the grid at the time. David took a bit longer to find his feet, but never really delivered, although in fairness he was Senna's replacement, which isn't an easy role to fill!!
I still think its way to early to make assumptions, remember JV anyone?
Quote from Mustafur :I still think its way to early to make assumptions, remember JV anyone?

Very good point.

Hamilton is undoubtedly a very talented driver, even by F1 standards. But we've never seen him perform in a mid-field or back-marker car, and he has yet to demonstrate the ability to salvage good results from a very poor race. I'm not ignoring his skill, which is undebatable, but rather just pointing out that he has a fair way to go before proving himself as a legend.
Here's a vid about the Buttocks-Coldheart accident. I put blame on Buttocks. I think he went for a pass but one tenth of a second later noticed he can't do it and one second later he noticed that he can't stop in time either. Bad Buttocks, bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PO1qeWMfTM
Had to laugh when I read this comment on youtube, "seriously.. what could Button do to avoid the crash? I don't understand why Coulthard wan't punished."

Button was at least one car length behind with no gap to go for... Even if Coulthard left a gap I doubt Button would have stayed on the circuit.
Its a tricky one that. I think had Coulthard seen he was coming up the inside he would have conceded the corner and we would all be sayng what a great move it was. You can see Coulthard change his line slightly in the braking zone. Button had planned to out break, but then found himself having to use more brake pressure, the rears locked and WAMMO.

Pretty much a racing incident hence no one was penalised.

We also have to consider that these boys don't get to practise overtaking much hence the mistakes we are seeing. And then the lack of peripheral vision is a big factor.

Just a bit ambitious. His frustration is understandable, but at least he had a go!
Quote from BenjiMC :Is it just me or does David do this "i couldn't see him" thing a bit too often?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v= ... XwVwQ&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v= ... Gpbz4&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1PO1qeWMfTM
Plus the incident at melbourne this year which i couldn't find a video for.

I never see the point of turning into a car that he knew was there already...
only one thing would happen if one do that, it's to have an accident and damage the car, and he's driving a open wheelers not a touring car for god sakes...

so in Melb and Bahrain he'd perhaps missed a point scoring opportunity by delibrately turning into someone...
I agree. Imo DC could have gotten away with not losing a position in Bahrain by taking a slightly wider line and avoiding collision. Did you see how deep he turned in? It was like he was doing his level-best to cut Button as much as possible, regardless of the consequences. It was even a slow corner. Maybe I'm putting too much weight on what one can see in the mirrors.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG