The online racing simulator
"How Great the Physics engine Is!"
Well, today I noticed that if you are in first gear and you shift into reverse the wheels IMMEDIATLY start spinning the other way without slowing down, Soo... Defy the laws of LFS Physics it does, Defy the laws of Physics it does not.

This isn't a problem though it would make the game seam more real.
#2 - Jakg
Do they? Usually the wheels lock for a second under the strain and then they will quite easily spin the other way as Reverse is VERY powerful, and so can break the cars traction with ease.
Well mechanical stress isn't modelled. If everything was infinitely strong then LFS would be spot on in this regard. Although having things snap when abused would be a welcome touch.
Of course it is like that. The only way the wheels would be rotating forward while in reverse gear is if the engine was running backwards (which it doesn't) or with heavy clutch slipping.

Though as Bob suggests, in a real car the outcome would be more likely a broken transmission/engine rather than immediately backwards spinning wheels.
Well to even put this to the test, get in a BF1 Shift up to 7th with 0.500 Ratio get wheels spinning to about 400mph, put the clutch down and shift into reverse and let the clutch go, yeah 400MPH > 40MPH In Reverse, Time Taken: 0.1 Seconds
That only proves our point that the fault in LFS is its indestructible transmission/engine, nothing else. Keep in mind that the wheels alone don't have a that huge inertia, either.
The wheels are spinning in reverse but the car is probably still moving forwards. Simple. The speedo measures the speed of the driven wheels.
shaft, to be exact
#9 - wien
Well, once moving, you shouldn't be able to shift into reverse without seriously busting up the gearbox...Once that is addressed, then this won't be a problem

There was a test done on this in Top Gear or something, they got a Civic ('coz of course, Clarkson hates ricers ), and drove it to about 20mph. No matter how hard he tried, the driver then couldn't get it into reverse. A car expert then said that if he had managed it, the gearbox would most likely explode

Maybe it wasn't Top Gear, but it was some car show anyway
Quote from wien :You're damn right!

This is an unhelpful post, but that was the funniest thing I've read in days
what about going from revurse to first, ive seen that done tons of times.
-
(AndroidXP) DELETED by SamH : refers to a post that was removed :)
Whatever way gearboxes are made (They're something I've never really looked at :shrug, reverse to first is no problem. I also noticed that at slow speeds (< 5mph) you can go into reverse, but you get the most embarrasing/frightening rattle out of the gearbox, as everyone in the street looks at you and laughs
Quote from dougie-lampkin :you get the most embarrasing/frightening rattle out of the gearbox, as everyone in the street looks at you and laughs

No, the noise only attracts their attention. They laugh because your car is so crap.
Indeed, it should not go into reverse at all during any real foward movement; reverse is not synchro'd for one thing (as far as I know anyway).

You can also note a massive longitudinal axis torque (in rear drive cars) along the chassis when you try that in LFS.

However the OP seems (seams?) to lack a working understanding of vehicular mechanics anyway from what I can tell. If you did manage to get a real car into reverse; the instant you pop that clutch something (bad) would happen, not a gradual change that's for sure. Unless the clutch slipped, but like everyone is saying, broken parts is much more likely.
I'm tempted to test how this would work in my 98 automatic. There is a shift-lock button, but you CAN shift into reverse while driving forwards if you press the button. However, there's that half second delay between moving the shifter and the transmission actually shifting, so I've always had the time to go "OH #&*$!" and knock it into neutral. Curious to see if it would actually try and shift though if I left it...
Automatics don't even let you shift into a too low gear, there's no chance in hell it would actually try to engage reverse. Just imagine how many accidents that would cause on American roads
Quote from AndroidXP :Automatics don't even let you shift into a too low gear, there's no chance in hell it would actually try to engage reverse. Just imagine how many accidents that would cause on American roads

Touche.
#19 - wien
Quote from AndroidXP :there's no chance in hell it would actually try to engage reverse.

Indeed.

WARNING: Contains footage of extreme violence against gearboxes. Parental discretion is advised.
nice one! I bet if he tried hard enough or locked the brakes up 1st he couldve done it, anywho, Gearbox stress is something I will be afraid of when it is incorporated into lfs :E
Quote from RE Amemiya :nice one! I bet if he tried hard enough or locked the brakes up 1st he couldve done it, anywho, Gearbox stress is something I will be afraid of when it is incorporated into lfs :E

You should be afraid of it in real life, also.
If you have been driving a Volvo 8-series (the 850 atleast) then you know how it feels to drive a car with a syncroniced reverse.. I think thats the only Volvo car with a sync ring on the reverse-gear atleast :P it doesn't sound any strange when trying to get reverse in at speeds.. never tried over 50km/h though.
You mean you've tried at 50km/h?
Quote from dougie-lampkin :You mean you've tried at 50km/h?

yes i have... well not me but a friend, he who owns the car, did try. i saw it in the cars manual that it was syncronized and he wanted to try.. it didnt sound any odd while the clutch was pushed.. but he didnt want to let it up fully
haha if u wanna see how car totally messes up then take xfg and go to black wood and ket into 5 gear and then immidiatly change to R and then look speedo meter and power meter XD thats fun and u cant get it run again

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG