The online racing simulator
Something [does god exist]
(421 posts, started )
Quote from Polyracer :You are missing one point, - The truth
[..]
So thats why as an Athiest I am bothered, - what you believe is up to you, but if you knew the truth you might believe something else entirely.

I'm bothered about the truth because it effects my safety, and that of my family and country - though you may think its a pile of hogwash.

You're not an atheist. You are an antitheist. Genuine atheists don't think the way you do. Just FYI
Quote from Shotglass :and it didnt even take more than 5 posts

Eh?
Quote :btw... fFs its spelled religion learn your own language for crying out loud

Hmm Ok, I make loads of spolling mistakes and trypin errops. but I hope you understand my thinking and what I'm tring to say
Quote from Samh :You're not an atheist. You are an antitheist. Genuine atheists don't think the way you do. Just FYI

Well I'm not going to get into that - lol, the amount of discussion I've seen on that subject

I think you understand also where I'm at, -

I don't believe in God(s) or believe that there was or ever will be a God.
There is no heaven or hell, and I believe everyone who disagrees is deluded - and in some cases possibly mad.

Man does not need religion to do good things, but good men need religeon to do bad things.

Religion is a mind virus which infects the young at their weakest, and prevents them from thinking freely and clearly for their entire lives unless they can be cured.

All if not most religion is trying to infect the minds of the entire world and they don't care how or who suffers, - the end justifies the means, because of course, they all know the one true way.

So whatever I am - thats how I feel.
Quote from Polyracer :but I hope you understand my thinking and what I'm tring to say

no i dont because it doesnt follow any corherent logical path whatsoever
Quote from Shotglass :no i dont because it doesnt follow any corherent logical path whatsoever

So explain what you see as a contradiction or is illogical
@ Polyracer: Claiming to know THE TRUTH (preferably in large red capitals) and saying that folks with differing views should be "cured" has caused some of the ugliest crimes in human history.
1) your ideas about the existence of god are as true as anyone elses... you cant prove it so dont put it in bold red underlined letters unless you want to make yourself look like a tosser
2) how you can go from religion to mcdonalds is just beyond baffling and achieves much the same as my previous point
Quote from Racer X NZ :It means you got it years ago, the correct description now is BCE and CE.

Sorry for necroquote, but they seem to be used interchangably. I use BC and AD just out of not being bothered to remember the other ones, and they are harder to confuse

Sheesh, this thread has got a mind of it's own - although it is up to the person who makes the claim that something exists to justify it. Remember Russel's Teapot.
Quote from wsinda :@ Polyracer: Claiming to know THE TRUTH (preferably in large red capitals) and saying that folks with differing views should be "cured" has caused some of the ugliest crimes in human history.

LOL yes point taken,

When I say truth, I mean in the sense that everything I believe in can be proven or it gets the thumbs down from me.

I don't take thoughts or ideas to be fact - and then try to convert others to the same mindset.

And yes I mean cured - sorry if it offends but thats your problem.

To me, religeon is a virus that effects the very young, and it is normally the youngs own parents that usually infects them to begin with, - at a time when they have no independent thought and are dependent on their parents.

And it only takes the acceptance of factual knowledge to effect a cure (not anihilation as some religions would think feel justified) providing the sickness is recognised in the first place.
Quote from e2mustang :i agree,so you are saying that the name God itself contains 3 men,Scawen,Eric,Victor,who created us with their world? jajaja

JA jajajajaja!
Consider yourselves (you know who you are) fortunate that I am in the process of moving, and many many words are falling into the abyss of my forgetfulness and won't likely be retreivable by the time I am done packing an unpleasant plethora of boxes.
I guess I'm infected with a virus of hate and ignorance because I spend my spring breaks in mexico building homes for the poor with my church. The important part about the bible is not the creation of the world, the sinfulness of homosexuality or the existence or non-existence of evolution it is about love for your fellow man and helping them when they have no one to ease their suffering.

One thing i've found is that you should not include islam when you generalize about religion. It was founded by a soldier turned prophet who had nothing but hate towards people who are not exactly like himself. It is a socio-political movement bent on world domination. Please don't include Presbyterians and (most) other Christians in your sweeping generalizations.
Quote :“Islam isn’t in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Qur’an should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on earth” --Omar Ahmed, Chairman of the Board of CAIR (Council of American Islamic Relations)

Quote :Qur’an 3:56 “As for those disbelieving infidels, I will punish them with a terrible agony in this world and the next. They have no one to help or save them.”
Qur’an 2:191 “...kill the disbelievers wherever we find them”

Please don't group these people into religion, it really pisses me off that athiests believe that all religious groups are like Islam.
Quote from flymike91 :
One thing i've found is that you should not include islam when you generalize about religion. It was founded by a soldier turned prophet who had nothing but hate towards people who are not exactly like himself. It is a socio-political movement bent on world domination. Please don't include Presbyterians and (most) other Christians in your sweeping generalizations.

Please don't group these people into religion, it really pisses me off that athiests believe that all religious groups are like Islam.

I couldnt agree more with you
Quote from flymike91 :...it really pisses me off that athiests believe that all religious groups are like Islam.

It really pisses me off that [some] religious people believe that all atheists are like the one aggressive atheist they happened to meet on an internet forum. Please don't include all non-believers in your sweeping generalizations.

We don't all think the same goddam thing! Atheists, like any other group of people, have a wide spectrum of opinions and beliefs on every topic (speaking for myself, I haven't said one damn thing about comparing religions in this thread). The one and only thing atheists agree on is their non-belief! The same goes for anything that unites people - just because a lot of people agree on one thing, it doesn't mean they agree on everything. You'd have realised that if you'd thought about it. Take this forum - everyone here is united by their appreciation for LFS, but look at the amount of disagreements that take place in every section, every single day! Look at this one thread that's been going for days and days!

Bottom line: if you feel like you're being unfairly thrown into a category, how is it okay for you to do exactly the same thing?

Quote from BallBearingTurbo :Consider yourselves (you know who you are) fortunate that I am in the process of moving, and many many words are falling into the abyss of my forgetfulness and won't likely be retreivable by the time I am done packing an unpleasant plethora of boxes.

Verily, I quake in my sandals. Put up or ... continue to pack up
Its just when people say that religion is the number one killer or a disease I think that they are usually thinking about Islam, not christianity, but carry on I respect your point. Now that I think about, what really makes me angry is that Islam gives all religion a bad name, the name on which non-believers base their arguments. For specificity, I'd rather hear things like "christians believe..." or "Muslims believe..." rather than "religious people believe..." I don't expect to have to make the same distinctions between atheists because there aren't any "sects" of atheism.
That says more about your (possibly biased) opinion of Islam than anything else
Thats a whole different thread that I am very afraid to start. Sorry for making generalizations about atheists.
No worries. To err is human; to forgive divine
As for that thread you're afraid to start:
Attached images
IRONY.jpg
hahaha that basically sums it up.
No thread required then! Jolly good
Here's that Dutch documentary that caused so much controversy a while back, part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kphomfZKsRg&NR=1 and part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=MNdP34JcQzw

There are some unpleasant scenes in it so be warned.

One of the messages in the film, is that it's up to the individuals within Islam itself to root out all the nut-jobs that think it's perfectly acceptable behaviour to blow themselves up on a crowded commuter train, or fly a passenger jet into a tower block. But, the danger is this level of thinking is becoming ingrained into young Muslims minds that they really are starting to think it's God's calling. Another thing is that the Western Governments are fueling this behaviour with unacceptable foreign policies, and before long any hope of returning to some sort of harmonious peace between the cultures will be long gone. But then again, a massive world war is a really good way to cut back on the worlds population, and a smaller population is much easier to control, especially if they're all singing from the same hymn book.

When you've got two of the worlds main religious bodies at logger-heads, and both are hell bent on world domination, then there's only one conclusion, conflict, war, mucho death and destruction.

It's not a new concept. The Holy Crusades of the 11th to 13th century were essentially an attempt to rid the world of every other faith (especially the Muslims) by this peace loving Christianity we've heard so much about.

Yunno, since the beginning of civilisation, this world has never known a time without religion, and there's never been any meaningful period of time without war or conflict. Maybe we should try an experiment for a few years, and see what would happen if we didn't have any form of religious ideal whatsoever. Global anarchy, or global harmony ?
Quote from flymike91 :Now that I think about, what really makes me angry is that Islam gives all religion a bad name

Islam isn't needed to give religion a bad name. There has been plenty of cruelty committed in the name of Christianity.

On a more serious note, I think you should be very careful when attributing some act to religion, even when the actor says he did it in the name of his faith. Did the Crusaders go to war for their faith? Or were they eager for brawls, booze and babes? Probably all of the above, but it sells better if you say you're fighting in the name of your god. Religion is a handy pretext.

(And be equally critical when attributing good deeds to religion. Albert Schweitzer and Mother Teresa said they were religiously inspired, but others have done fantastic work without bringing up their faith. There may very well be a deeper reason, like "helping your fellow men", driving all of these people.)
Quote from wsinda :On a more serious note, I think you should be very careful when attributing some act to religion, even when the actor says he did it in the name of his faith. Did the Crusaders go to war for their faith? Or were they eager for brawls, booze and babes? Probably all of the above, but it sells better if you say you're fighting in the name of your god. Religion is a handy pretext.

Obviously the 'grunts' in the army we'rnt to bothered who, what or why they were fighting. As long as they earnt more money and ate better than they would if they stayed in their usual employment. But, if you look into the history of the crusades, you'll find most of them were initiated from the Kings devotion to both the Pope and their faith, and a resolution to convert the known world to Christianity by fair means or fowl.
Quote from flymike91 :Its just when people say that religion is the number one killer or a disease I think that they are usually thinking about Islam, not christianity, but carry on I respect your point.

I don't think so. When you lose your faith (and so gain new knowledge and objective view of the life) you usually don't make distinctions between religions when talking about their basis. In fact, talking about civil wars and faith wars christianity have the lead by far. Islam in the other hand has a very lack in basic human rights in it's most fundamentalist sectors, as it have not evolved too much with society

Quote from flymike91 :Now that I think about, what really makes me angry is that Islam gives all religion a bad name

:ices_rofl you always got a smile in my face!

Quote from flymike91 :the name on which non-believers base their arguments.

False, and I can say it as I'm a non-believer

Quote from flymike91 :For specificity, I'd rather hear things like "christians believe..." or "Muslims believe..." rather than "religious people believe..." I don't expect to have to make the same distinctions between atheists because there aren't any "sects" of atheism.

But in the end muslims, christians, buddhist, etc... all of them believe in a very close way... A supreme being creator of the world, who dictates the right behaviour and believings, etc, etc...

So you can have different forms of adoring your God, and different views of the right behaviour, but all of you get your thoughts from the same source: ancient book, lots of blind faith, and none of questioning on things (and a lot of "they're wrong, poor them")
i think god exists, but so does hell and demons. i dont serve neither of them(god or demons) but i belive to both of them
Quote from RocksGt :But in the end muslims, christians, buddhist, etc... all of them believe in a very close way... A supreme being creator of the world, who dictates the right behaviour and believings, etc, etc...

buddhism is essentially an atheistic religion

Something [does god exist]
(421 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG