The online racing simulator
Which line is faster/better?
(19 posts, started )
The map is oval rev. Blue line its me, Red WR. I suppose the red one is better, but i dont know why since the blue one seems to take more advantage of width of the curve.

Any opinions?
Attached images
AnalyzeForSpeed 2008-03-30 21-31-49-79.JPG
#2 - Noccy
ignore this..swapped the colours so my statement didn't make any sense
I would suggest that the difference is so slight that it makes little difference, depends on your speed through the curve and how your running the rest of the track. Wish I could get even close to a WR
I think that the Red could be faster due to the tilt of the track.
My opinion, probably has something to do. But its true that you should be going faster if you use more of the track.

Seeing as the track is tilted on the turns it could be that it slows you down more when your going up earlier.
The only thing I can see is that he is slightly wider on approach, meaning he "opens up" the turn more...albeit he's only opened it by 3-5 degrees, but every degree counts
#6 - Jakg
It's the oval, it's the WR - i'd say his line is probably a few CM off being perfect.
#7 - bbman
Quote from LiveForBoobs :The map is oval rev. Blue line its me, Red WR. I suppose the red one is better, but i dont know why since the blue one seems to take more advantage of width of the curve.

Any opinions?

While your still turning, he's already going pretty straight again, getting better acceleration out of the corner... Just a couple of thousands, but adding up until T1 I presume...
#8 - Dac
not only on the exit as people have said but also on the entry he has you. he will have better braking since he is straighter. if anybody has seen the vids of why schumi was so fast even when he's slower into the corner his car is able to maintain a higher average speed througout the corner because he came in a little straighter and a littler more balanced.
Quote from Dac :not only on the exit as people have said but also on the entry he has you. he will have better braking since he is straighter. if anybody has seen the vids of why schumi was so fast even when he's slower into the corner his car is able to maintain a higher average speed througout the corner because he came in a little straighter and a littler more balanced.

Sorry but where do you need to brake exactly on this track? Also, in which relation is "straighter" meant to be?

As for schumachers cornering technique, i also dont really understand the realation for this particular topic but maybe you can enlighten me since i've never have seen him driving on the oval (at least not a complete lap)

But, a while ago i've found this somewhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2p2nRK-p4

maybe this is what you've meaned (somehow)?

Anyway, on topic, LiveForBoobs (), i guess its just down to practice and how well you know the track/ car combo. Im not going into details regarding setups and stuff but after watching your replay i can give you a few tips:

- dont force your car too much, steer as less and as smooth as possible, keep corrections at a minimum

- make use of the track, go as low as possible into the turns and as smooth and wide as possible back on the straights again

- timing is very important, get a feeling for when you need to steer in & out again because if you enter a turn to soon or too late then you will lose speed; leave a turn too soon or too late and you will lose speed and momentum

- im trying to feel where the setup wants me to lead the car to and then i just keep that line until the next "turn in point" approaches

- speaking about the ideal line, there is the general ideal line (if i can call it like that (im not talking about the line you get when you press 4 because its the AI line (while it can give you quite an idea about the actual line indeed ))) (meh) but each setup or vehicle will need a different approach for each area on the track and so the best line is dependent on your setup and the way you make use of it
what program is used to display bestlines?
Wow thank you guys for all the help. Thanks 510N3D for watching the replay. I never thought the oval master would actually come talk to his apprentices xD Thats really useful stuff. Ill try to take that all in mind next time i pick the combo up.

Also theres another thing i dont get. Which is this:
The image shows the turn before the clock starts. So the objective is carry as much speed as possible.

Shouldnt the red line be better? Since its the straighter one? Blue line is the WR one.

Cheers
Attached images
AnalyzeForSpeed 2008-03-31 15-27-40-85.JPG
Quote from tvpro :what program is used to display bestlines?

http://www.lfs.net/?page=analysers

Looks like he is using F1PerView but its been a while since i used it so im not 100% sure.

Quote from LiveForBoobs :Wow thank you guys for all the help. Thanks 510N3D for watching the replay. I never thought the oval master would actually come talk to his apprentices xD Thats really useful stuff. Ill try to take that all in mind next time i pick the combo up.

Also theres another thing i dont get. Which is this:
The image shows the turn before the clock starts. So the objective is carry as much speed as possible.

Shouldnt the red line be better? Since its the straighter one? Blue line is the WR one.

Cheers

Thanks but im not a master but more a oval junkie. Im doing it for fun and everything else is just resulting out of my passion for it

Anyhow, youre right, the reason behind going wide at the turn before the hotlap is that you don't need to steer that much the wider you go and therefore can keep more speed throughout the turn and because of that take a few more kph along for the start/ finish straight. You see, having a fast outlap is just a waste of time so why not give it sense somehow and use it for the actual hotlap.
hmmm i think i didnt explain well.
Blue is the widest line, Red is the one i think should be better to carry more speed to the next lap, and Green is the shortest, and the one that carries less speed.

Being the red one straighter than the blue, shouldnt it be faster? At least on others WR, they do it like the red.
For example here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah5JjhZqnCQ

On the first curve of the video, notice how he goes wide, but eventually aims for the apex.

Maybe its something to do with the fact that oval track has some inclination?

PS: the program is AnalyzeForSpeed.. its in the picture name
Attached images
AnalyzeForSpeed 2008-03-31 15-27-40-85.JPG
Ok, the only information about this track i have is that its 3 km long.

- track dimensions such as straight and corner width
- corner radius and radius changes
- banking angle and elevation changes

..is what im missing so i have actually no idea how to explain it to you correctly but i will try it another way:

If you go into a turn then you will see that the more you go to the inside the slower you will get (because of the increasing angle?) but the more time you will save because the distance compared to the outer lane is much shorter.

Now using a proper setup will help you to compensate the steepness up to a certain point and to get a better balance between gaining time and losing speed.

The red line which forces you to switch lanes throughout the turn is pretty much useless i guess because you will already lose more speed by turning in then you can gain while turning out again. But if you have a look at my line there you will see that i do already make use of that radius change by going slightly to the inside just before the end of the turn and then going wide right after again. Thats simular to what the red line does but not in that extent and more efficient, at least according to my experiences.
Good advice, I'll certainly put this all to use!
Quote from LiveForBoobs :Being the red one straighter than the blue, shouldnt it be faster? At least on others WR, they do it like the red.
For example here:

On the first curve of the video, notice how he goes wide, but eventually aims for the apex.

That video is a classic example of why i believe the tyre physics still has a long way to go in LFS. If you watch F1 when they give in car views and the driver is settings fast laps, they are never as ragged as the driver in that video is. This is something I've noticed in general in LFS. The fastest guys are often sliding around a lot into and out of corners. In real life this would cost you time, yet I've never seen a driver who is super smooth without sliding at any time ever be faster than the drivers who are ragged, whereas in real life they would be faster. So I conclude that LFS is still significantly flawed in the area of grip vs speed/acceleration etc.

Before anyone says "you have to be on the edge to be fast" of course that's true, but in real life as soon as you see a car moving sideways or hear the tyres sliding like in that video then you've passed being "on the edge" and you will loose time, fact. Might only be fractions of a second, but when you see the WR times being set driving like that then you have to conclude something is wrong.
Quote from 510N3D :The red line which forces you to switch lanes throughout the turn is pretty much useless i guess because you will already lose more speed by turning in then you can gain while turning out again. But if you have a look at my line there you will see that i do already make use of that radius change by going slightly to the inside just before the end of the turn and then going wide right after again. Thats simular to what the red line does but not in that extent and more efficient, at least according to my experiences.

Yeh, thats probably it. Thanks :thumb3d:
Quote from LiveForBoobs :
Being the red one straighter than the blue, shouldnt it be faster? At least on others WR, they do it like the red.
For example here:

Maybe its something to do with the fact that oval track has some inclination?

I do the same thing, when entering a corner that's followed by a long straight away, but I don't quite go that far. For the purpose of carrying a few extra MPH into a long straight. I think the reason he did it like that, going that wide, was for the same purpose, but to setup the next lap, to be a fast one. Normal circumstances I doubt this racer does that.
Quote from DHRammstein :I do the same thing, when entering a corner that's followed by a long straight away, but I don't quite go that far. For the purpose of carrying a few extra MPH into a long straight. I think the reason he did it like that, going that wide, was for the same purpose, but to setup the next lap, to be a fast one. Normal circumstances I doubt this racer does that.

Yes. 510N3D Curved like that to gain extra mph for the next lap. The question was why not go wider than usual but still aiming for the apex, but instead go all the way wide (almost) like he did. We didnt reach a proper conclusion but we suspect its from the track inclination. Im trying to imagine that track with no inclination and it seems better to aim for the apex like the red one.

If the track was narrower, it would be defintly better, because the car would accelerate much more in a straighter line than a curved one. When the curve is so wide however, the kmh we gain from the extra distance by going wide, make up for the kmh we lose from having to turn a little. That would be in agreement with the inclination thing, and i suspect its the reason.

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG