The online racing simulator
Earth Hour 2008
(19 posts, started )
Earth Hour 2008
#2 - Rish
i thinks lights are not enough, but its a step in the right direction!
Its a good idea but... How are we suposed to see what we are doing then?

Or are you supposed to just sit still and talk about how you wish the lights were on?
There are such things as candles/torches joseph.

I think its a good idea, but i cant see much of the UK doing this. Most of the UK's attitude is "**** it, it wont make no difference.." and then not bothering .
Bad idea, if everyone does it, powersuppliers are double screwed.

no power needed = too much power, they stop 'making' power.

power needed = crap, we need 5 kazillion jigawatts of power in 0.2s.

so.. That's it in 2 nutshells.
#6 - ajp71
I think we've got a couple of 500 watt flood lamps in the attic, may have to get them out on Sat.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :There are such things as candles/torches joseph.

I think its a good idea, but i cant see much of the UK doing this. Most of the UK's attitude is "**** it, it wont make no difference.." and then not bothering .

Using a torch defeats the whole point of this. Take a rechargable torch for example. How do you charge it? Put the battery in a charger and plug it into the mains. Where does that electricity come from? A power station.

Ok then, you said use a candle. That again defeats the point of this because

Quote :Burning candles can emit toxins, such as acetone, benzene, lead, mercury, 2-butanone, carbon disulfide, carbon tetrachloride, creosol, chlorobenzene carbon monoxide, cyclopentene, ethylbenzene, phenol, styrene tetrachloroethene, toluene, trichloroethene and xylene. Emissions from candles can create ghosting (dark shadows) or soot on your walls, furniture and in the heating and cooling system, a problem that can cost thousands of dollars to repair.

Quote from ajp71 :I think we've got a couple of 500 watt flood lamps in the attic, may have to get them out on Sat.

I have THREE bolted to my back wall...what time shall we switch them on???
Quote from JO53PHS :Using a torch defeats the whole point of this. Take a rechargable torch for example. How do you charge it? Put the battery in a charger and plug it into the mains. Where does that electricity come from? A power station.

Ok then, you said use a candle. That again defeats the point of this because

Funny you saying that, seing as there are people in the video using candles...pfft.
Quote from JO53PHS :Ok then, you said use a candle. That again defeats the point of this because

Yeah but they smell so good when you blow them out. Surely that's worth the slow destruction of the earth?
I will turn off my lights and watch a movie, "WAAAAA THAT DEFEATS THE POINT!" no it doesn't because normally I watch TV with my lights on, so I will be saving energy.
I, for one, think it's a stupid idea.

First off, if people are left to choose whether or not to turn off their lights/power/whatever then 99.999% of people most likely will not do it.

Secondly, if the entire city is forced to do it (or in my case, my entire residence building) it will piss off a lot of people who need to spend that time doing homework (including research on the net), like, for instance, me. Also, the floodlights and emergency lights in the building, as well as the elevators, will still be active. This means there is still electricity usage. Additionally, the forced power outtage has not been advertised and I gurantee you that at least half of the residents here do not know about it, and will be using their computers, working on assignments at the time the power is turned off. This means their computers will shut down, and any unsaved work is lost nearly without warning. This will piss off a hell of a lot of people here, maybe even moreso than the inconvenience of losing an hour of working time. Also, we're not allowed candles in residence and flashlights won't cut the mustard as a light source for aiding in homework - not to mention the use of batteries and burning candles nullifies the point, as already mentioned in this thread.

Third, during this time, the power stations don't just stop producing power. They produce just as much power, producing just as much pollution. This power just won't be used during this time and will be stored/wasted/whatever. That nullifies any possible "environment saving" that could be taking place at that time.

Fourth, this will not change the whole climate deely one iota. If there is a man-made climate shift (which the jury is still out on, by the way - and those that agree with it cannot agree on how much influence it has had on the environment) this one hour of inconvenience won't change one damn thing. People will resume their normal energy-gobbling routines the second the power comes back on; just slightly more irritated.

I had more points, but I'm tired and brain decided to forget them. The whole thing is moronic and I absolutely hate the fact that I am being forced to partake in it because I live in residence.
I will play LFS without the lights on outside or in the house. Not completely defeating the purpose but considering my family will turn on the lights outside and inside, yeah it will.
Or you guys could do something else, like just go to bed early one day...
At 8pm? No! to early.
Quote from MAGGOT :
I had more points, but I'm tired and brain decided to forget them. The whole thing is moronic and I absolutely hate the fact that I am being forced to partake in it because I live in residence.

It only takes one person to speak up for everyone else to suddenly do the same, look at youtube, a video can start with 1 or 2 views then by word of mouth spread around the world to reach millions. Just one person turning off their lights to save energy inspires more people to do the same. People like to be a part of something, they like the feeling that they can make a difference.

The campaign is about turning lights off, not power, lights are often on a completely different circuit and can be turned off without cutting the mains power. Losing 1 hour in a year is not a big deal, I am sure everyone could do without lights for just an hour every year to raise awareness of the issue. That is what this is all about after all, its more about showing people that they do matter, and do make a big difference, rather than saving energy. If you show people how much they save just by turning their lights off for an hour, they might think twice about leaving lights on in empty rooms. Or as someone pointed out, shops might stop leaving lights on in their windows at night, it could become socially unacceptable to do so.

The power stations keep pumping out the power and pollution, but it won't be wasted. By doing things like this you just make that energy last longer, we need to buy ourselfs time to change attitudes and develop technology.

As for you being forced to do it, well I don't agree with that, you shouldn't force people to do something which is essentially a publicity stunt. However you better get used to it, because the way we are going these sorts of things will gradually become manditory. With more governments agreeing to cut their emissions by a large percentage in a short amount of time, we will all come under pressure to cut down on our waste.
A video is entertainment. Turning your lights off for an hour isn't. People have had the ability to make a difference since the beginning of time. People have had the ability to conserve power forever. Turning off the lights for an hour won't suddenly make them do it.

I realize you don't have to turn off the power to turn off the lights - but my point remains valid; the idea to use less power, but that's not going to change a thing because the same amount of power is still going to be generated.
#18 - MR_B
Watched video........ "A 10% reduction..." came back unimpressed...

I want those 2mins 46seconds of my life back please.
#19 - Rish

Earth Hour 2008
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG