The online racing simulator

Poll : Should we have a seperate steering wheel for each car?

Yes, i think that each car having the same steering wheel looks silly
No, i prefer all of the cars steering wheels to be the same
Quote from Dennis93 :i can see what you mean, but.. i'd rather see new cars , than new wheels

I'm sure it wouldn't take a week of development to implement this suggestion. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the updated interiors that will supposedly be included in the next patch will have this feature.

Or not.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the updated interiors that will supposedly be included in the next patch will have this feature...

+1
To be honest, I'm not overly concerned by this, although I do see the points of those who reckon it looks odd to have the same 'wheels across all tin-top cars.

I'm not voting, but for those who are saying it's too trivial to bother with at this stage, I can't imagine it's a difficult thing to do - just set things up so that each interior reads its 'wheel image from a different file. The developers wouldn't even need to give us new 'wheels, just allow us to have different ones for each car and I bet there'd be stacks of third-party ones around the skinning forums before long

Sam
I voted no based on the fact that it just means lots more files to be downloaded for no real gain.
Quote from tristancliffe :Where is the "I really don't care at this stage of development" option? Surely there'd be hundreds of votes for that one?

Wait a minute...

WHAT stage of development? Because as far as I can see, thinking you are going to get some miracle out of Scawen is an oversight. Even more-so, the more we disagree with something to be made by Eric (like these wheels), what else should we care about then? What ever happened to wanting interiors done by him?
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, dirty windscreenms and that sort of thing are lovely, and I doubt anyone would say no to them (as long as they aren't done instead of cockpit interiors ).

:rolleyes:
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm hoping Erics work from the last few months will make it into the next patch (W)

:rolleyes:
Quote from tristancliffe :We don't have the best interiors. YET

Quote from tristancliffe :And Eric IS working on better cockpits, I guarantee it.

Quote from tristancliffe :One has to imagine that Eric has a huge amount of stuff on his harddrive waiting for the right moment to get put in LFS.

Updated models, more track environments, better interiors, higher resolution textures, and that sort of thing. I mean, what else has he done for the last few years, other than the odd update to a few tracks (which I'm sure took a while, but still...).

If Eric reads this, then please go overboard and add a bit of content and update a few things, as well as offering a high-res texture download - you know you want to!

WOW really?

So you don't care? These things date back a few years. Stop being a hypocrite fanboy.
i dont understand how a few different wheel textures is going to be to many files, besides, i really do think that having the same steering wheel for every car does look abit odd, and beleive it or not, i do look at the steering wheel

The dev's may be hard at work, but i still have expectations for S3
Bloody Hell. Get out of bed the wrong side?

I never ever EVER said I didn't want them, or that I didn't think they'd happen. I just don't think worrying about different steering wheels in each car is that big a thing. Of course I want new interiors (which doesn't mention the steering wheel similarities), but as I never look at the interiors whilst driving, I'm not really bothered.

Whilst I'd love Erics work to be unvealed soon, I'm still someone who'd prefer the physics simulation aspects to be improved more first - mainly aerodynamics to be honest, but a few other things too. I don't give a monkey's if the steering wheels are shared - that can wait for all I care.
Quote from tristancliffe :Bloody Hell. Get out of bed the wrong side?

Not at all, and I was quite thrilled to see such a stubborn remark to a suggestion we could've had 5 years ago.

Quote from tristancliffe :Whilst I'd love Erics work to be unvealed soon, I'm still someone who'd prefer the physics simulation aspects to be improved more first - mainly aerodynamics to be honest, but a few other things too. I don't give a monkey's if the steering wheels are shared - that can wait for all I care.

Being such a regular around here, I'd think you'd know by now that what Eric has to work on has nothing to do with priority of developing physics. Scawen does the physics, how on earth does Eric's work interfere with that or delay anything? Physics don't need to be done first, they can be done at the same time as what Eric is doing. I really don't understand why people think these things need to be taking turns, and somehow think Eric shouldn't be doing his job while Scawen does his. Which is pretty much just what you've asked for, a 1 man dev team, fantastic.
I agree.
Quote from Tweaker :Not at all, and I was quite thrilled to see such a stubborn remark to a suggestion we could've had 5 years ago.

Being such a regular around here, I'd think you'd know by now that what Eric has to work on has nothing to do with priority of developing physics. Scawen does the physics, how on earth does Eric's work interfere with that or delay anything? Physics don't need to be done first, they can be done at the same time as what Eric is doing. I really don't understand why people think these things need to be taking turns, and somehow think Eric shouldn't be doing his job while Scawen does his. Which is pretty much just what you've asked for, a 1 man dev team, fantastic.

rampage

+1
Quote from Tweaker :...

+1

Quote :a 1 man dev team, fantastic.

Well, that's pretty much what we've got, isn't it? And that 'team' is working on language updates...
#37 - Jakg
LFS is a niche product. ATM I'm sure they will get more cash from new licenses by opening up the Asian market as a pose to adding features existing LFS'ers want.

I really don't mind about different wheels (although I wouldn't imagine it would take that long), but the 512 object limit certainly shouldnt be there (however layouts EAT CPU power - i'd imagine 1024 would really hurt. Time for multithreading :P)
Quote from tommer :i dont understand how a few different wheel textures is going to be to many files, besides, i really do think that having the same steering wheel for every car does look abit odd, and beleive it or not, i do look at the steering wheel

Most track cars have very similar steering wheels differentiated only by size and brand. There's no reason why stock hatches and GT1 cars can't use the same steering wheel IRL.

Quote from Jakg :
I really don't mind about different wheels (although I wouldn't imagine it would take that long), but the 512 object limit certainly shouldnt be there (however layouts EAT CPU power - i'd imagine 1024 would really hurt. Time for multithreading :P)

There has to be a trade off though, the number of objects doesn't matter, it's the number of moving collision objects that cause the issues on a badly designed layout like some of the CTRA ones that used to bring my old PC (2.8 P4) to a halt. If the number of immovable objects was de-restricted (after a physics update) then
I think we wouldn't see any problems.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG