The online racing simulator
Driving Age Increased
(140 posts, started )
Driving Age Increased
Great... the government have now introuduced a new 'scheme' to take affect from easter.

You can get your provisional at 17, but you cant take your test until your 18 in the UK.

So its another year ive got to wait now.... do they think about these teenagers who actually want to drive safely... or do they just stereotype us?
Even the wreckless young drivers THINK they are safe. The trouble is - define safe? Drive like on a lesson or test, and you'll probably have countless accidents, yet that method is slower and more cautious.
I wonder if the government took into consideration that the amount of joyridings going to increase....
The minimum driving age has been 18 years here, for as long as I can remember.

*looks at the calendar* Only nine months to go for me! :yipee:
Who wants to go protest outside parliament with me tommorow?

By the time I learn to drive you will probably have to be 19 because they think we are all ricers

Stupid boy racers
Yea ill join you lol
Now I've got to spend another year stuck at Mercedes Benz world driving an A-class
Same lol :P
#9 - Jakg
ffs looks like theres no point until getting a car 'till after Uni then.
Do you actually have a source on this? There's been rumours floating around of this for a long time but they haven't done anything yet.

Source, or I don't belive it.
It was in the paper this morning, the mail i think.
#12 - mr_x
Good thing I passed my test when I was 17 years and 3 months old then.

I'm 20 next week... that's scaring me a bit.
The paper also said, there would be two parts to the actual driving test to make it even harder, and the theory will be even harder.
Tbh, im soooo lucky i just passed my test and now have it out of the way.
#16 - JJ72
forcing them to do 30000miles in CTRA1 will do.
Quote :Now lets sort out the other end of the age scale and stop pensioners driving the wrong way down motorways or mistaking the accelerator for the brake.

- Michael Shaw, Languidic France

Exactly. I once heard in a Top Gear episode:

"Elderly people are five times more likely to have an accident than their grandchildren"

And there have been cases were pensioners have driven Ford Fiestas into the sea. I must admit that is the right place for the fiesta, but at least don't plunge into the sea with yourself in it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y8Tu6uPQfk
Quote from mr_x :Good thing I passed my test when I was 17 years and 3 months old then.

I'm 20 next week... that's scaring me a bit.

You'd better start looking for a tombstone already

20's not that old, is it? I have a colleague who turns 39 every year
hmm..sucks to be you guys...in US we can get our permit at 15 and a half and get our license at 16..but if we wait till we are 18 we dont have to get our permit we can go straight to our license.
#20 - Vain
Quote from hrtburnout :20's not that old, is it? I have a colleague who turns 39 every year

"The age of 39 are the 10 best years in a woman's life."

Vain
Quote from scoobyrbac :hmm..sucks to be you guys...in US we can get our permit at 15 and a half and get our license at 16..but if we wait till we are 18 we dont have to get our permit we can go straight to our license.

But the USA tests are too easy, from what I've seen.
Quote from hrtburnout :But the USA tests are too easy, from what I've seen.

ehhh..yeah somewhat..They need to make them harder really (after I take my test) because theres people that everyday at my school that pretty much get into wrecks...They'll let anyone drive nowadays..
Is the driving age so low in the US because the US is so massive, so you have to drive the length of the UK twice over to get to the supermarket?
I'm not necessarily opposed to the relatively low driving age in most US states, but the tests need to be much more difficult. Starting the instruction process at 15 and getting two years of thorough training for a license at 17 or 17 1/2 seems reasonable, but the whole process needs to be overhauled.

The current system is an absolute joke and the scumbags who passed the legislation saying it is sufficient to produce competent drivers should be removed from office.

My road test took less than three minutes. The instructor told me to get in and start the car, so that I could prove that I knew that the car had to be in Park in order to start (they strongly recommend using an auto for the test. Standard transmissions are too difficult, you see). Then he got out and stood at the back to make sure I knew how to use my turn signals. He got back in and we pulled onto a 45-mph two-lane residential road from the parking lot, then took a right at the next light. On this road I had to brake hard to avoid an imaginary obstacle. The ABS didn't even come on. Then we continued on down this road for two minutes or so until it looped back around to the parking lot, where I had to demonstrate my top-notch parking skills.

That's it. That's the whole driving test.

The written part (actually computerized, just touch a screen) was only 30 questions, and consisted of gems such as "what is indicated by a red octagonal sign with white letters?"

A) Yield
B) Stop
C) Speed Limit
D) No Passing Zone"

The standard of driving for many people in this area is at times just plain scary. Turn signals are used very irregularly and can never be relied upon. A significant portion of drivers don't understand how mirrors function, and so angle them so they can admire their own faces rather than look around. Appropriate following distance? HA! Why do that when I can get to my destination one second faster! I don't need two hands to drive, so I should text and talk on my goddamned phone instead of focusing on the road while drifting across lanes going 50mph in a 35 zone! I don't need headlights when it's dark out either, everyone else should have to avoid my nearly invisible vehicle! I just don't need to pay attention because surely everyone else will take care of it for me. The plastic bullshit I'm about to buy at Wal-Mart is clearly more important than the safety of everyone else on the road. If I am involved in an accident, it's everyone's fault but my own! GO AMERICA!
I have my test in a couple weeks, I'm 17...Do I have to wait?

Driving Age Increased
(140 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG