The online racing simulator
Motivation suggestions
(84 posts, started )
Motivation suggestions
I'll make no bones about it, for various reasons I am struggling to find the motivation to "play" LFS, now I don't know if this is just a "jaded" cycle that will go away, or it's something thats running deeper, but I want to see if I can get out of the rut.

So basically, I am asking for ways that I can get "back" into LFS, because apart from a handfull of league races here and there, I haven't "played" it with any real conviction for a long time.

Or do I just bite the bullet a have a few months break from LFs to see if the motivation comes back on its own?
#2 - aoun
Sort of got the same feeling man. I get it often. But as soon as i watch racing, im dying to hop on to LFS. I guess im starting to get over LFS abit, i want to do the real thing.
I haven´t played for months except for some sumo. And I don´t see myself returning to playing until new tracks(new, not the same old track with one new corner) are introduced to the game. And with the work pace and weird priorities of the devs that won´t happen for 5 years, if ever.
I don't really want this to turn into another, we need new cars/tracks debate, infact, I would probably get into trouble if I kicked off a big tirade about how I feel about the current development path.............

So, using the existing content, any way to get some motivation going.........

At the moment, if I have some time free, I am finding spending that time on Forza 2 much more fullfilling..........
#5 - JeffR
Either play some other games, or stop playing PC games altogether. The thrill is gone and you're basically burnt out. So are a lot of other racing game players that date back to GPL (1999), or even arcade players like NFS. I'm seeing pretty much a lack of interest in gaming in general. I wonder if wow attendance is also starting to taper off by now.

I'm recovering from a bad cold right now, and it's been a while since I played any games. The last 3 I played were non-racers, Crysis, Half Life - Episode 2 (since it leaves you hanging, I recommend waiting for Episode 3 which will complete the series and be mostly likely bundled with Half-Life and Episodes 1-2), and Tomb Raider Anniversary.

The last two racing games I played were Race 07, and NFS - ProStreet (which gets boring fast because the closed online play - no way to see who playing so the better players can match up, no way to change cars while with a group of players, and restricted to track / events at a single location).

I also played LFS offline and online a bit right after patch Y came out. As usual, other than ovals where luck and bumping play a factor, my only wins on tracks like Blackwood with the FOX occurred when the clearly faster players spun out and/or crashed. I played a couple of nights and lost interest, mostly because I'm currently simply not movitated enough to spend the time to improve my skills with any game.

I don't think this has anything to do with content of LFS. S3 could be released today, there'd would be some initial interest, but the burnout factor from playing racing games for years now is an issue for many.
You might be right with the burnout thing, maybe thats why I prefer sitting in my lounge, on my comfy leather recliners playing Forza on my 40" HD TV.........

Rather than sitting in my study on my PC..........
I'm playing LFS since 2003 mostly all days and it didn't get boring too me. I played some leagues before and when it get boring i changed league or now i stopped all until the new Swiss National Team is set up and read to take some leagues. At the mom i do most of the time just cruis eon my friends cruise server. I like it 'cause it's something diffrent. Probably you should start doing something else liek cruising, drifting or drag racing!
Danowat, why do you ask this question? What makes you "want to enjoy" playing LFS more than it actually does?

Do you feel you owe it to anybody to keep on playing?
Do you miss the times when LFS was a big thrill?

It's your own time. Do what gives you the most fun/fulfillment.
Quote from wsinda :Danowat, why do you ask this question? What makes you "want to enjoy" playing LFS more than it actually does?

Do you feel you owe it to anybody to keep on playing?
Do you miss the times when LFS was a big thrill?

It's your own time. Do what gives you the most fun/fulfillment.

Good question, VERY good question infact, I'll try and answer.....

I guess I just miss the good times, that and the commitment I have to my team makes me want to enjoy it like I used to.
Yeah it's time to pause and think - if what you do for fun isn't fun then there's really no point in pressuring it to be fun because then it's a chore. If the itch to play comes, then it comes - otherwise, what's the rush?

Looking at your stats, you've obviously played LFS (online at least) quite a bit. So it's only reasonable if you did so on a day-to-day basis that at some point you'll be feeling saturated.
I'm in the same boat. I have to agree that it is burnout.
Here's a question for you - how much time do you spend on the forums compared to in-game? Sometimes I've wondered if I've no real inclination to play LFS because I spend all day on here watching people ask for stuff that we don't have, or complaining about the stuff we do. None of that is gonna make you want to take part.

But then on Sunday night my little brother talked me into playing a bit and I had good fun just doing endless practice laps on SO Chicane with him. He's a little better than me, but not quite as much as the general population so I didn't feel completely useless - which I think is another potential turn-off.

Also, it might be that you're finding the console's pick-up-and-play system easier than having to plug in a wheel and the like. I'm a lazy bugger as well

But this isn't specific to LFS. I sometimes don't feel like playing any specific game for ages, then all of a sudden something will happen or I'll just change my mind and suddenly I'll be all over it again.
I guess, because it's easier to browse forums at work, rather than play LFS , I spend more, much more time, on the forums than LFS.
Quote from danowat :I guess, because it's easier to browse forums at work, rather than play LFS , I spend more, much more time, on the forums than LFS.

Shhhh! We're supposed to be working. :hide:

I know exactly how you feel though. I wish I felt more attraction to LFS right now. It's easy to hop on the forums during work time, but in my own time I never get round to playing it. There's always something more tempting/important to do, like another game or going to the gym or doing chores or going out or doing photography.

*subscribes to thread to get motivation suggestions too*
- I started making a track for rfactor
- I'm trying to get my GPL 'ring time under 8 mins (just need few more laps, it is basically done)
- playing Fallout2 through
- design my own track day car (2% ready already lol)

---
Basically the only thing I'm waiting from LFS now is the next masterskinnerz contest. Other than that I can't think of any LFS fun atm... except the forums and even then it is the stuff you should do but never get done...
#16 - Vain
I'll skip the burnt-out discussion and go for the suggestions.
Recently I found it quite enjoyable to reset my mindscape for an evening, ignore the result-centered league-racing and go to some random servers and play. Sure, you get bumped off the track every third race but the rest is a lot of door-to-door racing because neither you nor your competitors know the combination well. I've also found it fun to toy around with the clutch-pedal, 720° rotation and the H-gate shifter for that purpose.

The whole point, I guess, is to treat LFS as a just-for-fun arcade-racer instead of focussing on positions and championship points because, let's be honest, those achievements have lost their attractivity long ago.

Vain
Quote from Vain :I've also found it fun to toy around with the clutch-pedal, 720° rotation and the H-gate shifter for that purpose.

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking the same on my way into work this morning.

I was toying with the idea of going clutch/h-gate only for a while and relish the challenge, rather than "trying" to win all the time, nice idea.
Does that mean you were not using clutch/H-gate all the time?

:bananadea
It indeed does mean that, I am lazy
Quote from danowat :I was toying with the idea of going clutch/h-gate only for a while and relish the challenge, rather than "trying" to win all the time,
Quote from AndroidXP :Does that mean you were not using clutch/H-gate all the time?

You mean you were trying to win?

My advice: Go do something else. I'm currently doing a couple of something elses and so far I haven't missed computer games at all.
Yup, summer is coming, bike weather, and I am finding my training taking up more and more of my time
Quote from danowat :I am finding my training taking up more and more of my time

Wow, can you nearly use the potty now? You're a clever boy!

Haven't had my second coffee yet this morning, excuse me.
I'm dying to play at the moment but simply don't have time right now. Before when I had time and I'd been playing regularly I was losing the motivation but now I can't play I'm well up for it lol.

Want to turn some laps at some point today. I'm ill with a cold so think I should treat myself if I get a chance today
I've been like this for like 2 years now :P Just whenever a league comes , I drive , I dont push myself into practice, but I just go and drive and have fun, sometimes I still practice too if the combo is nice

Sometimes when there is no league, then I dont get behind the wheel for over a month. But still, LFSWorld is my homepage of my browser and I got a FXO on my desktop :P

I've been to LFS for over 4.5 years and I'm going to be 20 in a month, that pretty much means, LFS has been here for a quarter of my life It will always be part of my life, doesnt matter if I'm active or not. Just drive when You feel like it and that's it. There's plenty going on concerning LFS off the tracks also(forums etc).

My idle will prolly end when the S2 Full is rdy and the Nutter rank is waiting for me

Motivation suggestions
(84 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG