The online racing simulator
Do NOT adjust your monitors, Lada in the WTCC!
Quote from Entry List :

http://www.fiawtcc.com/fiawtcc/sport_sto1486765.shtml

2008 FIA WTCC FULL SEASON ENTRY LIST

1 – BMW Team UK; Andy Priaulx (GBR); BMW 320si
2 – BMW Team Germany; Augusto Farfus (BRA) ; BMW 320si
3 – BMW Team Germany; Jörg Müller (GER); BMW 320si
4 – BMW Team Italy-Spain; Alessandro Zanardi (ITA); BMW 320si
5 – BMW Team Italy-Spain; Félix Porteiro (ESP); BMW 320si;
6 – Chevrolet; Nicola Larini (ITA); Chevrolet Lacetti
7 – Chevrolet; Robert Huff (GBR); Chevrolet Lacetti
8 – Chevrolet; Alain Menu (SUI); Chevrolet Lacetti
9 – SEAT Sport; Jordi Gené (ESP); SEAT León 2.0 TDI
10 – SEAT Sport; Rickard Rydell (SWE); SEAT León 2.0 TDI
11 – SEAT Sport; Gabriele Tarquini (ITA) ; SEAT León 2.0 TDI
12 – SEAT Sport; Yvan Muller (FRA) ; SEAT León 2.0 TDI
13 – Borusan Otomotiv Motorsport; Ibrahim Okyay (TUR); BMW 320si
15 – N.technology; James Thompson (GBR); Honda Accord Euro R
16 – Wiechers-Sport; Olivier Tielemans (NED); BMW 320si
18 – SEAT Sport; Tiago Monteiro (POR); SEAT León 2.0 TDI
20 – SUNRED Engineering Development; Tom Coronel (NED) ; SEAT León 2.0 TFSI
23 – Exagon Engineering; Pierre-Yves Corthals (BEL); SEAT León 2.0 TFSI
26 – Scuderia Proteam Motorsport; Stefano D'Aste (ITA); BMW 320si
28 – Russian Bears Motorsport; Viktor Shapovalov (RUS); LADA 110 2.0 *
29 – Russian Bears Motorsport; Jaap van Lagen (NED); LADA 110 2.0 *

31 – Scuderia Proteam Motorsport; Sergio Hernández (ESP); BMW 320si
42 – Liqui Moly Team Engstler ; Franz Engstler (GER); BMW 320si
43 – Liqui Moly Team Engstler ; Andrey Romanov (RUS); BMW 320si
* subject to the homologation of the car

OK, they're starting in Valencia and they're unlikely to be competitive, but it's good to see another make in the WTCC. Although if it's 100% sure to hapen is another thing.

Also, SEAT are running five factory TDIs, and both their BTCC cars will be TDI.
#2 - J@tko
Quote from duke_toaster :OK, they're starting in Valencia and they're unlikely to be competitive, but it's good to see another make in the WTCC. Although if it's 100% sure to happen is another thing.

Also, SEAT are running five factory TDIs, and both their BTCC cars will be TDI.

I heard this before.

Although I thought Seat had scrapped the idea of running TDI's in the BTCC. Probably me imagining it again.

Good luck to them. And to Andy, one of Britain's few WC's last year.
#3 - aoun
Victor van Vlaardingen
Viktor Shapovalov, Jaap van Lagen

Ahh... close.. :P
I've not heard of them scrapping the TDI idea, unless they can't get enough cars built there's no real reason not to race the TDI in the BTCC, it's more development time = more data. Also add to that the TDI will be very useful in the UK, our tracks are twisiter so the torque will be useful. Although tyres haven't been dealt with, will it be a competitive package with Dunlops? Supposedly the TDI isn't as kind on its tyres as the petrol version. That's where the twisty bit comes in, more tyre wear. Thruxton could be interesting.

Then again, there's a very important rule in the BTCC - the only way to tell if a car will be on the grid at Brands is the media day. That's when the actual entry list is confirmed and there's no assurances they will turn up then. I can't remember when it is, I think it's next month and it will be at Rockingham.
#5 - ajp71
Quote from duke_toaster :I've not heard of them scrapping the TDI idea, unless they can't get enough cars built there's no real reason not to race the TDI in the BTCC, it's more development time = more data. Also add to that the TDI will be very useful in the UK, our tracks are twisiter so the torque will be useful.

No a diesels fundamental disadvantage and the reason why you'd never use one in any racing situation by choice, is its complete lack of responsiveness and sudden delayed delivery, precisely not what you want on a twisty track. With a fast shifting 6 speed 'box with correct gear ratios where in the rev range the engine develops the power isn't important and the lack of a broad powerband does not mean a petrol racing car has to spend ages waiting to get there.
Quote from ajp71 :No a diesels fundamental disadvantage and the reason why you'd never use one in any racing situation by choice, is its complete lack of responsiveness and sudden delayed delivery, precisely not what you want on a twisty track. With a fast shifting 6 speed 'box with correct gear ratios where in the rev range the engine develops the power isn't important and the lack of a broad powerband does not mean a petrol racing car has to spend ages waiting to get there.

I'm just parroting what JP says in interviews, and well we know how much of a lunatic he is on the track (as much as Matt Neal) :P

You never know, we might see Ladas come to the UK. Then again, if that happens it will probably come at the same time I am shooting some bacon out of the sky.
Lada, the Russian megapower machine
I didn't know they allowed tractor engines in the WTCC...:hidesbehi
great, another thing for BMW's to dodge
hahaha, can't wait to see lada on track :bike: :ufo:
Quote from ajp71 :No a diesels fundamental disadvantage and the reason why you'd never use one in any racing situation by choice, is its complete lack of responsiveness and sudden delayed delivery, precisely not what you want on a twisty track. With a fast shifting 6 speed 'box with correct gear ratios where in the rev range the engine develops the power isn't important and the lack of a broad powerband does not mean a petrol racing car has to spend ages waiting to get there.

That's not the point as far as the WTCC goes, though. Last season the Diesel was favoured by the regulations. FIA promised to change them to provide equal chances.
Quote from Linsen :That's not the point as far as the WTCC goes, though. Last season the Diesel was favoured by the regulations. FIA promised to change them to provide equal chances.

There are plans afoot to change them. BMW suggested a turbocharger straight from a production car or a spec turbo. As seen as for a diesel you need forced induction unless it's a 1950's bus, it's a difficult thing as SEAT could turn the boost up to eleven in qualifying but then turn it down for the races. I'd say a spec turbo myself. At the moment, H's aren't permitted for diesels but BMW would like that to change, previously they've not gone for the sequential route but WSR have (last year the only H pattern car in the BTCC was Mat Jackson, and his was ex-WTCC not new).
Gives me new reason to watch more WTCC . If they start sucking like expected, I am not sure what to think.... continue watching? Or watch some other series?
WTCC and BTCC are both good series to watch, plenty of on-track action (generally rather clean unless it is involving either Mr Plato or Mr Neal in the BTCC) and with a wide variety of cars - and drivers with a bit more personality.
Quote from duke_toaster :(generally rather clean unless it is involving either Mr Plato or Mr Neal in the BTCC)

I ROFLd pretty hard at that statement
Quote from duke_toaster :I've not heard of them scrapping the TDI idea, unless they can't get enough cars built there's no real reason not to race the TDI in the BTCC, it's more development time = more data. Also add to that the TDI will be very useful in the UK, our tracks are twisiter so the torque will be useful. Although tyres haven't been dealt with, will it be a competitive package with Dunlops? Supposedly the TDI isn't as kind on its tyres as the petrol version. That's where the twisty bit comes in, more tyre wear. Thruxton could be interesting.

Then again, there's a very important rule in the BTCC - the only way to tell if a car will be on the grid at Brands is the media day. That's when the actual entry list is confirmed and there's no assurances they will turn up then. I can't remember when it is, I think it's next month and it will be at Rockingham.

yes indeed thruxton could be interesting, remember mike jordan last year, one word, pop, lol
Somehow I like the look of that WTCC Lada.
#19 - DeMS
The more teams the merrier, I say.

I can just hope they get enough points to keep on racing next years also, so they are able to bring an interesting car to compete in the scene in... 5 years time?

Anyway, it settles an example that you don't need countless money to start a sport-racing team, so it could probably get some other teams from not-so-profitable brands interested.

Let's just take that with a grain of salt, though, as in the WTCC page it states that they're pending homologation.
Lol, Lada in WTCC

Anyway, the Lada doesn't look that crappy
Quote from zeromussov :Lol, Lada in WTCC

Anyway, the Lada doesn't look that crappy

Just wait for the 2009 Dacia Logan
Quote from Eldanor :Just wait for the 2009 Dacia Logan

with wheels on its roof for those tight chicanes
You laugh, but someone did some testing for a Dacia Logan for Super 2000 rallying. Lemme find it ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... vxDj0&feature=related

And the project was canned, BTW. Sadly. Probably as the Clio (Renault is the parent company of Dacia, and indeed the Logan has been sold as a Renault) has been built for S2000 rallying for JWRC. There was a talk of building the Logan for main WRC spec at some point lol.
Lada wanted to join WTCC last year... and again there is this discussion... last year they didn't come... 2006 there was also this story, and nothing happenes. I hope WTCC get the deal done to do a race on the Nordschleife, in the side program of the 24-h (this story appeared in the german LFS Forum), and then we'll see a broken Lada on track.
Quote from TFalke55 :I hope WTCC get the deal done to do a race on the Nordschleife, in the side program of the 24-h (this story appeared in the german LFS Forum), and then we'll see a broken Lada on track.

There actually wasn't any talk of a deal, it was just that some drivers said "wouldn't it be nice if", it would be impossible as Nurby is too long for WTCC and not all of the track is covered by TV cameras. And, given that it's a FIA World Championship, the circuit licencing requirements are higher. Not forgetting the contract with Ochersleben.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG