Is My drifting Good ?
(70 posts, started )
it's not the setup or blackwood, it's your techinque...
you're losing MASSIVE amount of speed by not having any throttle applied...
Quote from nisskid :that was the most idiotic thing ive read.

Look at pretty much every post he's posted since joining. They're all pretty misinformed
Quote from The Radness :Look at pretty much every post he's posted since joining. They're all pretty misinformed

nahh, SHOW drifting is all about skill, it's all about showmanship, it's not about efficiantcy. If the move is too easy, you're lucky if you even get a point... there are rodeo drifts, where you sit on the door still and do doughnuts like that... i don't think you are going to see that in WRC lol.

but as i say, the ebrake drift is too easy, unoriginal, too safe, too predictable. thus, you will not get any special remarks for it, clutch kicks are overused but it's still more sophistocated then ebrake initiations.

and someone here said that ebrake drifts are better because it doesn't "shift your line"... if you are going very fast through a corner, wouldn't you WANT to be pushed towards the apex and hope you don't grind your tail on the rail?
Quote from atlantian :nahh, SHOW drifting is all about skill, it's all about showmanship, it's not about efficiantcy. If the move is too easy, you're lucky if you even get a point... there are rodeo drifts, where you sit on the door still and do doughnuts like that... i don't think you are going to see that in WRC lol.

but as i say, the ebrake drift is too easy, unoriginal, too safe, too predictable. thus, you will not get any special remarks for it, clutch kicks are overused but it's still more sophistocated then ebrake initiations.

and someone here said that ebrake drifts are better because it doesn't "shift your line"... if you are going very fast through a corner, wouldn't you WANT to be pushed towards the apex and hope you don't grind your tail on the rail?

you have no idea what your talking about, please stop, you're embarrassing yourself.
Quote from nisskid :you have no idea what your talking about, please stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

not only that, he also makes other people think that all drifters are idiots who don't know what they're doing
-
(Stiggie) DELETED by Stiggie
Quote from squidhead :it's not the setup or blackwood, it's your techinque...
you're losing MASSIVE amount of speed by not having any throttle applied...

You're totally right

So, all of you guys are trying to say you should not use the E-brake a lot when drifting.. but other techniques? And, already know most of the techniques but could someone explain what clutch kick is?
#57 - Waz
Quote from Stiggie :You're totally right

So, all of you guys are trying to say you should not use the E-brake a lot when drifting.. but other techniques? And, already know most of the techniques but could someone explain what clutch kick is?

You kick the clutch to get higher RPM and lose traction from rear wheels to initiate drift.
Quote from atlantian :words... ......there are rodeo drifts, where you sit on the door still and do doughnuts like that... i don't think you are going to see that in WRC lol.........more words

I didn't know WRC was "drifting"

/sarcasm
Quote from squidhead :not only that, he also makes other people think that all drifters are idiots who don't know what they're doing

haha i think that issue goes well beyond just one person lol
Quote from The Radness :I didn't know WRC was "drifting"

/sarcasm

id debate that, because i think when you look at the origins of drift, they comes from a similar source. drift was used for speed once upon a time in the hills of Japan, the physics of why they used the "drift technique" on the touge's was very similar to why it is used in rally. obviously it evolved to what it is today, but when u look at the term drifting, its hard to debate that what they do in some corners of rally isnt what you would call drifting sideways through a corner.
they just flick the tail out using feint(drift) to stop the car/fight understeer in a muddy enviroment to make it around the corner
Quote from atlantian :they just flick the tail out using feint(drift) to stop the car/fight understeer in a muddy enviroment to make it around the corner

kind of right, rally drivers use a drift technique to prevent understeer as u said, when you have a big track for circuit racing, you have plenty of space to apex, this means u can spread the tightness of the corner out as much as you can, and share the change of momentum out evenly.

the change of momentum is the main issue here, when you come into a corner you are carrying a lot of forwards momentum, to change this momentum you need a lot of force, this puts massive force on the front tyres, and often too much force, when you try to change the momentum to quickly you will see more force than the tyres can take, hence the tyres slipping. ideally you want to spread out this force of changing momentum across as much tyre as possible, hence wider tyres, AWD, using all 4 wheels to brake etc.

thing is, when you use just the front tyres to steer, you are putting a lot of force on them, especially when you dont have a full apex to spread the momentum, or a very grippy surface.

when you have a typical 2WD car and your trying to go around a corner, your front tyres are trying to lead the car around the corner and change the direction of the car, the rears are pushing the car straight line. When you drift it allows the rear tyres to point more against the momentum, so powering through means extra force to push against the momentum and towards the exit of the corner. this means it takes force of the front tyres and distributes the force of pushing against the momentum through all 4 tyres, rather than 2. This extra grip to push against the momentum means it can push through the corner and against the momentum faster.

In theory it sounds great, but refining the technique against the traditional race technique would be a lot harder. Rally is a lot different to Tarmac in this way, rally doesnt use as refined technique as well as having the issue of low grip surfaces a lot more prominent. This also applied to the tougue's etc, they wouldnt have proper apex's every corner, surfaces would vary in grip levels, and roads were very tight.
Quote from nisskid :kind of right, rally drivers use a drift technique to prevent understeer as u said, when you have a big track for circuit racing, you have plenty of space to apex, this means u can spread the tightness of the corner out as much as you can, and share the change of momentum out evenly.

the change of momentum is the main issue here, when you come into a corner you are carrying a lot of forwards momentum, to change this momentum you need a lot of force, this puts massive force on the front tyres, and often too much force, when you try to change the momentum to quickly you will see more force than the tyres can take, hence the tyres slipping. ideally you want to spread out this force of changing momentum across as much tyre as possible, hence wider tyres, AWD, using all 4 wheels to brake etc.

thing is, when you use just the front tyres to steer, you are putting a lot of force on them, especially when you dont have a full apex to spread the momentum, or a very grippy surface.

when you have a typical 2WD car and your trying to go around a corner, your front tyres are trying to lead the car around the corner and change the direction of the car, the rears are pushing the car straight line. When you drift it allows the rear tyres to point more against the momentum, so powering through means extra force to push against the momentum and towards the exit of the corner. this means it takes force of the front tyres and distributes the force of pushing against the momentum through all 4 tyres, rather than 2. This extra grip to push against the momentum means it can push through the corner and against the momentum faster.

In theory it sounds great, but refining the technique against the tradition race technique would be a lot harder. Rally is a lot different to Tarmac in this way, rally doesnt use as refined technique as well as having the issue of low grip surfaces a lot more prominent. This also applied to the tougue's etc, they wouldnt have proper apex's every corner, surfaces would vary in grip levels, and roads were very tight.

actually before the king Audi-ous the great sent his son Quattro to rule the empire... rally cars where all MR's...
...and?
Quote from nisskid :...and?

meh, i just wanted to point that out...

but they also travel on their sides around corner for a reason... they want to save time by combo-ing turning and braking into one action. since track techniques are practically useless in mud
...and?
What Atlantian is trying to say is that positive traction in adverse conditions is difficult to emulate safely. As a general rule, crossing the corner transversely is faster because inertial shift from right-to-left (or left-to-right depending on the corner) is limited to a minimal factor. This means the suspension does not have to work as hard and more grip can then be transferred in the forward direction (e.g. where the car is pointed.) By applying a modest amount of opposite lock, this technique is faster than the typical right-hand-slide approach. It is favored in rally because it saves wear and tear on the tires, the suspension, the drivetrain and even the driver, and also makes the car less likely to roll over, seeing as momentum is transferred between the for wheels based on body roll and terrain.
The result is really only maybe 2/10th of a second faster, but that adds up over the many corners in a rally stage. The Audi's, however, always had trouble perfecting this technique, because the weight distribution of the car, coupled with the slightly higher speeds they could achieve, meant that the car had a tendency to side-slip and rotate about the rear axle, making it all but impossible to execute the technique without hitting the bystanders or overshooting the apex and plowing off the road. The MR on the other hand was perfect for this method, and therefore was preferred by many rally drivers over the Audi.

At least, I THINK that's what he's trying to point out.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :At least, I THINK that's what he's trying to point out.

at least your point made sense, and every aspect was explained, and didn't raise any more questions
Quote from Stang70Fastback :What Atlantian is trying to say is that positive traction in adverse conditions is difficult to emulate safely. As a general rule, crossing the corner transversely is faster because inertial shift from right-to-left (or left-to-right depending on the corner) is limited to a minimal factor. This means the suspension does not have to work as hard and more grip can then be transferred in the forward direction (e.g. where the car is pointed.) By applying a modest amount of opposite lock, this technique is faster than the typical right-hand-slide approach. It is favored in rally because it saves wear and tear on the tires, the suspension, the drivetrain and even the driver, and also makes the car less likely to roll over, seeing as momentum is transferred between the for wheels based on body roll and terrain.
The result is really only maybe 2/10th of a second faster, but that adds up over the many corners in a rally stage. The Audi's, however, always had trouble perfecting this technique, because the weight distribution of the car, coupled with the slightly higher speeds they could achieve, meant that the car had a tendency to side-slip and rotate about the rear axle, making it all but impossible to execute the technique without hitting the bystanders or overshooting the apex and plowing off the road. The MR on the other hand was perfect for this method, and therefore was preferred by many rally drivers over the Audi.

At least, I THINK that's what he's trying to point out.

yeh, im just not sure how that affects what i was trying to say?
Quote from squidhead :1) it's a FWD car
2) your lines are horrid
3) your entry is awful (but Arab drifters would like that)
4) that concludes the review since I didn't bother watching further than the first corner

conclusion : your drifting is not even drifting

advice to other people who might want to see this : AVOID

I thought that was a little bit mean, until I watched the replay

Is My drifting Good ?
(70 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG