The online racing simulator
---Message to LFS team--- [police chases etc]
Firstly, I have to say, the mechanics of this game (the ability of parts to break like in the real world, and be customized) is absolutely amassing. This is by far about the best sim I’ve seen.
If I my just make 4 small suggestions: maybe something to consider down the road.
  • Firstly: I would love to see some games with police chases, like a hot pursuit kind of game mode. It would be a fun thing to add to something already great. (But don't change what is already).
  • Secondly: I would love to see a few new large outdoor tracks with more open areas to drive. So if someone wanted to cut through a small set of woods during a police chase, or even while racing, it would add a new dimension. I’m not asking to change the current tracks, just something to think about for new upcoming tracks.
  • Third: Large industrial cities with lots of roads and subway tunnels would be a blast. And to add to this, the driver would have the abbility to drive down side roads even if it means going off the path. This ability to go off course would not happen during a race obviously, but knowing you could if you wanted to can add a ton of fun psychologically. And even more fun during a police chase .
  • And last: The graphics look great, please don’t ever cut corners on the textures being used. Keep the graphic’s quality where it is, no less. They look great!
I know that this is a racing game, and a great one! But being chased by the police is also very real kind of feeling when your in a fast car? This would be sooooo much fun.
Again, I’m not implying to change anything in anyway. I’m only asking for the possibility of adding some new game styles down the road so if the player gets tired of racing on tight tracks, he/she can take them cars out for a hell ride without guard rails.

In any case, this game is a about the best I’ve seen as far as simulating how things really happen. Thanks for reading
Quote from thebman06 :Is all of that necessary? This is a racing simulator. Not adventure driving.

I knew this kind of reply would come.
If you have a car that’s made for bringing you from point A to point B, do you really need a radio? That is my point!
it would just be another mode, or mod.

Quote from thebman06 : That 'mode' would get very little play time

Who says? I’d pay for another license if I could get all this, and I bet many others would as well.
I don't know about the rest of those things but a 'hot pursuit' mode would be fun. Let's say when you're a cop you can drive any car with any skin, but it just put police lights on top of your car. Then you get to chase the 'bad' guy, or guys, and try spinning them out, ramming them into walls etc. When the bad guys car goes below a certain speed (maybe 5km/h or so) with a police car within a couple of metres of him he is 'arrested'. There are already people playing cops n robbers, this would make it so much cooler.
Quote from thebman06 :You can't really ask for too much from the developers. I'd say you were spot on in suggesting an open map for developing, and then leave the rest to the communities programmers..

Know one is making anyone do anything; That is why they call it a suggestion. You might be right about the work involved, but I'm not a programmer to know, but it might not be a bad as we think. Seeing how good this game is ATM, I would have to believe that the programmers in this team are like rock stars, and can do just about anything.

I know I don’t need to sell this idea anymore, but what the heck.
Let’s think about this logically.
===
Why is this game so fun?
It’s fun because you can’t drive 190MPH in the real world without being thrown in jail for reckless driving. The fun is in the fact that it’s bad, and we are getting away with it.

So, just imagine how much fun it would be to have copes chasing you while your terrorizing city, and country streets with your demon on wheels.
"The dukes of hazard"
I think your playing the wrong game if you want things like that.
No problem, I didn’t think that.

I’m not too sure how difficult the AI coding would be on this engine.
I would think that by now, there is a lot of standard code out there that developers could use, and modify to fit their game. That's a good question though:
The down side to having AI police is that it would use more resources on a system during multiplayer games, but I think this concept would be more for single player mode, something you would play when you were by yourself, and didn’t want to connect to the net.
Than again, I guess it could also be fun if the police were chasing a group of drivers online, you would always be wondering when they were going to turn in your direction.

I remember in NFS, there was a point where the cops couldn’t catch you, and they would put spikes across the road. You would almost always run over them because you were moving so fast, but there was also more room to go off the road in NFS, so if you were able the spot them up ahead, at least you know you had the possibility to dodge them, but I always got flats from them.
#7 - joen
please try to see the differences between LFS and NFS. They are not the same type of game. If you want to be chased by the police, play NFS or rob a bank. If you want to simulate racing, play LFS. But don't mix them up, it's obscene.
Give up on your suggestions, as it will never, ever, ever happen.
As said, LFS is a racing simulator. Not a pursuit game. You are looking for the wrong things. These suggestions (apart from not lowering the graphic quality) will not be implemented in this sim, nor should they be.
#9 - SamH
I think waveform is recognising the exceptional physics of LFS, and expressing a desire for a kinda NFS or Carmageddon experience with those physics. I understand that desire.

The development of LFS is, AFAIK, pre-defined. What the developers set out to achieve hasn't changed. These kinds of additions to the LFS experience would, I'm pretty sure, be a significant departure from the vision that drives development.

waveform, what I would propose is that rather than inviting a fundamentally very different type of gameplay to LFS, the more viable route would be to appeal to companies like EA or whoever makes those kinds of arcadey games to "up" their physics modelling standards to the level that LFS has achieved. Let's face it, if an indie group, with one physics modeller and one environment modeller, can achieve what LFS has, it's not beyond the reach of a company like EA. Only the desire to perfect the physics is absent, there, and present in LFS.

I do see the appeal of, for example, SA:MP with LFS-standard physics. I know I'd buy it. But I'm also pretty positive that it's not going to happen within LFS.
The only way it would happen is if LFS got some back road road courses, Isle of Man, point to point rally stages, hillclimbs, or others of that sort. Then it would be up to the players to script stuff like police chases the same way they do on what are supposed to be racetracks and autocross surfaces..
And b-roads would really be cool to race on in LFS.
i heard of a game like that

Need for speed underground
SamH, you hit it on the head: don't ask LFS for police chases, ask EA for better physics :up:
Quote from waveform :The fun is in the fact that it’s bad, and we are getting away with it.

Interesting enlightenment, I thought people played LFS because it's cheaper and more convenient than real-life racing.

SamH has ended the discussion, though, and made a post which I think anyone else asking for such things should be pointed to. Nice one, Sam

Sam
#14 - SamH
LOL! Point 'em at Hank's post, not mine.. his cuts to the point like a hot knife through butter.. mine cuts to the point like a chainsaw through a wet mattress
NFS Most Wanted is what you need
Haha, I shall have to remember that similie, Sam

Yours is the post to reference to, Hank's is the one-liner. So we've got a reaction force against quick 'give us police chases' threads, and a different one for more detailed (but still chavvish) requests. Naiice.

Sam
Quote from JO53PHS :NFS Most Wanted is what you need

OT:
Nooo, you need Need for Speed 4: High Stakes, that game was quality. The newer NFS games shouldn' be called Need for Speed they just aren't good enough, IMHO.
/OT
Quote from _--NZ--_[HUN] :OT:
Nooo, you need Need for Speed 4: High Stakes, that game was quality. The newer NFS games shouldn' be called Need for Speed they just aren't good enough, IMHO.
/OT

NFS:HS doesn't have multiple-route courses like cities (it has detours/short cuts, but not full cities) IIRC.
Quote from MAGGOT :NFS:HS doesn't have multiple-route courses like cities (it has detours/short cuts, but not full cities) IIRC.

But still it was far more fun than the new ones.

What happened? Did we go pussy here? Used to be a flame war about something like this

How many topics are there on the EA NFS forum on making the physics more realistic? I really wonder.
We just can't be arsed to dig out the flamethrowers any more, it got repetitive

Something tells me the general NFS following doesn't give a damn about physics, whilst we don't give a damn about the general NFS following but, to be fair to the original poster, he does at least appreciate the worth of LFS 'as is', unlike a lot of people asking for this sort of thing.

Sam
Amazing no flame! Put my sunglasses on and got the popcorn out for no reason. I agree with SamH, dont think the developers had police chases in mind. I liked the no flame approach to this thread so far, seems so dignified
Quote from Dark Elite :We just can't be arsed to dig out the flamethrowers any more, it got repetitive

I bet you all changed to bunsen burners to join Jak!
Quote from SamH :I think waveform is recognising the exceptional physics of LFS, and expressing a desire for a kinda NFS or Carmageddon experience with those physics. I understand that desire.

The development of LFS is, AFAIK, pre-defined. What the developers set out to achieve hasn't changed. These kinds of additions to the LFS experience would, I'm pretty sure, be a significant departure from the vision that drives development.

waveform, what I would propose is that rather than inviting a fundamentally very different type of gameplay to LFS, the more viable route would be to appeal to companies like EA or whoever makes those kinds of arcadey games to "up" their physics modelling standards to the level that LFS has achieved. Let's face it, if an indie group, with one physics modeller and one environment modeller, can achieve what LFS has, it's not beyond the reach of a company like EA. Only the desire to perfect the physics is absent, there, and present in LFS.

I do see the appeal of, for example, SA:MP with LFS-standard physics. I know I'd buy it. But I'm also pretty positive that it's not going to happen within LFS.

Great post, I totally agree.
If other racing games had the same physics, it would be awesome. And a NFS with propper physics could have made me wanted to play one again.

But as someone other mentioned, it most likely not will come up in LFS, about the off-road driving and police chases.
But who knows?
The trouble is, most of the people who play NFS don't give a damn about 'good' physics, and are not the sort of people to spend over $100 on a steering wheel and pedal set. They're perfectly happy playing their game on a controller. If NFS became as realistic as LFS, then people would be forced to go out and buy steering wheels, and actually learn how to drive (which most wouldn't be able to - which would mean the police chases would last mere seconds.)

That small group of people who DO care about physics, are the kind of people who want to do actual RACING and aren't interested in NFS (for the most part.) So LFS makes money catering to this elite crowd. For that reason, EA would likely never consider good physics, as they'd lost the majority of the people's interest. And LFS wouldn't want to integrate cop chases since most people wouldn't be interested ANYWAY.

Then there's the even smaller group of people who enjoy good physics, AND the occasional police chase and are stuck between both worlds. Unfortunately, unless LFS devs decide to create some sort of spinoff or mod, I don't think they'll ever get the game they want, since no one wants to develop a game for such a small crowd.
:tit:

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG