The online racing simulator
Tools to design cars/tracks?
(56 posts, started )
#51 - Migz
Lol, tats a good idea, but nothings better then the real tish of the engine as the turbo goes off.
Quote from _ak :GPL had lots of addons
Many great real world tracks, '65 mod and so on

Over 540 tracks now to be precise, 90% of them real-world
But GPL was never intended to be modded. The fans hacked GPL to find out how it worked, then scratch-built their own mod tools after Papyrus abandoned the game Those 540+ tracks have been built by many many builders over the past decade as well. Thankfully, the community still make stuff because for me it's still the benchmark race sim. With regard to quality control (rFactor's Achilles heel) it's easy with GPL mods because (a) it's ridiculously hard to make anything for GPL which discourages almost everyone from trying and (b) hardly anyone plays it anymore anyway, and those who do are such sticklers for accuracy that nothing gets through without being researched to death

Not the same with LFS. It's not even finished yet so I think asking about this kind of thing is a bit premature.

What I'd like to see is more LFS-made content. I agree with the main thrust of Ian H's post a little while back: adding some more corners to an existing track environment (as has been done endlessly with Aston and South City) isn't exactly what I'd call "new". Yes, it's a new track layout, but most of it was already there. The scenery, elevations, background and 90% of the corners were already well-known so once you get a grip on the extra corner or loop or two, you're back where you were watching the same stuff whizz by and taking the same lines through the same corners until you have to wake yourself up to get through the new section, then get back to where you were, aiming for that same chicane/hairpin/straight you already know like the back of your hand It's not a dig at the devs in case anyone's loading up, I'm just spoiled I suppose. I'm used to a whole lot more places to drive with all the GPL tracks available. It helps that I like 1960s F1 cars better than anything too...
Quote from Ian.H :so the changes to Blackwood for example.. if they took longer than a week and I was employing Eric.. he'd be looking for a new job right now

I imagine there was quite a bit of testing involved.

Quote from Ian.H :I enjoy driving a great deal.. whether I'm pushing the car hard or simply cruising along with some good music playing.. sitting in my room doing the same certainly doesn't give the same "satisfaction".

I find that quite weird. For me, sitting in a car on a motorway or any other public road, watching the scenery and other cars go by - what's to enjoy? I'd rather be at home listening to a quality stereo and not having to pay attention, thanks.

I've never raced a car, but I think I probably would enjoy that. A lot. I also know I'm not mechanically-minded enough to keep a racing car in track condition, and the expense would probably upset me too. Especially considering how often I would crash it.

LFS for me, then.
Quote from thisnameistaken :For me, sitting in a car on a motorway or any other public road, watching the scenery and other cars go by - what's to enjoy? I'd rather be at home listening to a quality stereo and not having to pay attention, thanks.

And i find that quite weird. You've got some of the best driving roads in the UK literally on your doorstep, hardly any speed cameras and some of the best scenery in the country just a few miles up the road, and you think it's dull ? Granted motorway journeys are tedious to say the least, but try the M6 between Lancaster and Penrith or the M74 between Gretna and Larkhill, great scenery, great roads and not too busy considering they're motorways

You should do yourself a favour, get on one of those 'learn to drive in a week' courses, get your UK license, buy a little Ford Fiesta or something (little convertible would be even better) and go have a blat around the North York moors, you'll love it, honestly.
Quote from the_angry_angel :When you get an LFS licence you don't pay for a specific revision of the physics engine. You pay for content.

It makes no financial sense for the developers to open up to third party vehicles or environments at this stage, unless there was some fundamental shift in how things work.

I don't think so. You pay for a license so you can use LFS without the restrictions of the demo. At the moment those restrictions are mostly about content. (But not all: you also get LFSW, bigger grids, skins, ...)

Scavier are free to change those restrictions. If third-party content were possible, it would obviously have to be blocked for demo users. Otherwise, no demo user in his right mind would pay for LFS. But if Scawen can devise a cracker-proof protection, this could even raise sales, because it's an extra reason for Demo users to buy a license.
+10000 i gotta get S2 if this happens...

Tools to design cars/tracks?
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG