The online racing simulator
Downforce effects
(10 posts, started )
Downforce effects
im not certain if this is already used but i know when you drive close behind a car your vehicle will loose its front down force and thus slipstream the car and have less air resistance but what i dont see is the car ahead loosing some of its rear wing downforce, i know this happens in real life esp in nascar where you see cars drafting each other very close right into turns and if the car behind stays right on the back into the turn the lead car gets loose. also in lfs when two cars draft only the car behind gets a "boost" in speed from the slipstream but in real life the lead car (to a lesser extent) would also get a slight increase in speed as the two cars would basicly become one mass traveling through the air.

i know when ive been driving the FOX and following right behind a car into a turn i would understeer but he would drive away unaffected, maybe this is something to look into for the future.
If you drive behind another car then you will understeer, but different cars are effected differently, throughout most long easy corners the fox/fbm etc wont understeer as much as the bf1 will because they arent traveling as fast, but there are alot of corners where you can feel the effects in all cars when driving close to the rear of another car.

But if you want a good example of what i mean try driving behind some one in the BF1 on pretty much any track and you will not make the corner as easy and some times not make the corner at all
oh i think you got the wrong end of the stick, ive got no issues with the front downforce effects i think there very good, just that there is no rear d/f effect
Maybe NASCAR is affected a whole lot more by this. In F1 for example you can't even slip stream properly because of the front car's downforce (from the rear spoiler and the difusor).
Not so much downforce effects, LFS needs uplift, so when you spin the BF1 around you're likely to flip it.
#6 - bbman
Which is something caused by the unfinished aero model... At this stage, downforce is a constant graph only changed by the wing angle and drafting, it doesn't incorporate yaw or the angle of attack in any way, hence why squatting setups still work...
I was told that yaw does reduce downforce, but linearly, and not completely
It does, i tested that when I did tests using FV8 and ramps to see if I could get it to fly upward.
The more angle you put between the car and the direction you're driving, (well.. yaw), does indeed reduce downforce linearly, the more angle, the more reduction in downforce.

Or.. at least it used to be that way.
#9 - bbman
I stand corrected then...
I guess the point is that the car thats been chased gets also faster,
while the car behind it is very close.
You can see this in Nascar races where 2 cars alone can escape the field without passing each other.

But I think the effect will only be seen at very high speeds with cars
the have a lot of air resistance.

Downforce effects
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG