The online racing simulator
higher speed?
(30 posts, started )
higher speed?
yo guys i was just wondering! i been going on the ovals alot and been getting a bit better, but i can only go like 185mph max before i have to turn a lil bit and go down to +-175mph, and everyone else can go like 190mph - 198mph mostly. i was just wondering what i need to do to my setup to give me that extra boost, and also at the start of the race i always get wheel spins and start slow

so any advice would be apreciated thanks in advance!!
I asked the same question some time ago. I wondered how the heck they could be going soooo much faster than me. You know what they told me? Put the front end ride height all the way up. You'll go faster. I don't know why, but it works. I'm hoping it'll get fixed when the Devs get back to the physics part of improving the game. Right now, I just stay away from the Formula cars for competetive racing because of this. You either race with your nose way up in the air or you're not competitive...kind of dumb if you ask me. Oh well...
No need to stop racing formula cars just race around some corners
The downforce is modeled as strictly perpendicular to the wing, which means it pushes the car forward if the car is tilted on its rear.
Yeah, on a tighter track with corners, it's not as big of an issue. It's just kind of stupid to have to point the nose way up in the air to be competitive. That's all. Maybe if they'd actually flip over it wouldn't bug me so much, lol.

I'm not saying I don't use the Formula cars. I have my occational fun with them. However, I'm currently not fond of any competetive racing with them. Do all the *R cars work the same way? Just curious if I could stick my GTR's nose way up and gain speed.

Until we get some serious aerodynamic modelling in place, I'm sticking to the more normal cars for serious racing.
yes, all cars with downforce have the same bug.
Quote from DanISTheMan :yo guys i was just wondering! i been going on the ovals alot and been getting a bit better, but i can only go like 185mph max before i have to turn a lil bit and go down to +-175mph, and everyone else can go like 190mph - 198mph mostly. i was just wondering what i need to do to my setup to give me that extra boost, and also at the start of the race i always get wheel spins and start slow

so any advice would be apreciated thanks in advance!!

The highest speed you can get is 187miles. If there is wind or/and you're slipstreaming, you can get more than 200 easily.
#8 - jtr99
Quote from tristancliffe :yes, all cars with downforce have the same bug.

Hmm. So is that why I can't seem to break 1:03 on AS club in the FOX? My nose is not pointing up in the air? (Of course, it may simply be that I am crap.)
#9 - ajp71
Quote from jtr99 :Hmm. So is that why I can't seem to break 1:03 on AS club in the FOX? My nose is not pointing up in the air? (Of course, it may simply be that I am crap.)

What are you saying, Tristan said that ALL cars with downforce have this bug illepall
-
s (cannonfodder) DELETED by cannonfodder
Quote from jtr99 :Hmm. So is that why I can't seem to break 1:03 on AS club in the FOX? My nose is not pointing up in the air? (Of course, it may simply be that I am crap.)

I don't know much about the new tracks in S2, but I would imagine that on a "regular" track the aerodynamical benefit would be negated by the worse handling characteristics caused by the rised front end.

If you really want to know, download a fast replay and see if the front is jacked up.
Quote from tjr99 :Hmm. So is that why I can't seem to break 1:03 on AS club in the FOX? My nose is not pointing up in the air? (Of course, it may simply be that I am crap.)
Quote from ajp71 :What are you saying, Tristan said that ALL cars with downforce have this bug illepall

I think you are mixing FOX (low-powered formula) with FXO(FWD street car).
@ DanISTheMan

Did u try the setup thats in the setup section of this forum yet.

A guy named jurje posted his, which has WorldRecord potential. I tried it and the starts where pretty easy and fast.

Good Luck,
FiredUp
Okay, lets clear this up.

FOX (Formula XR), FO8 (Formula V8), FZR (FZ50 GTR), XRR (XR GTR), FXR (FXO GTR). All these cars make use of the downforce bug. Most, if not all, use it to some degree on every track. On a course like AS Club which only has 3 corners, 2 or which are slow, and a few longish straights, then yes, it would make the difference between quick and less quick. Give it a try. Or better yet, so and race there and ask a quick guy for their setup.
Quote from tristancliffe : Give it a try. Or better yet, so and race there and ask a quick guy for their setup.

And if it has a high nose, just delete it and continue with your own set.
It's bad enough that [a guesstimated] 90% of all online racers are using this exploit, don't become one of those lamers.
Every game ever has flaws and idiosyncracies, whether it be Duke Nuken 3D or LFS. Denying yourself the use of these 'flaws' will not make you a better person, but a slower racer.

Of course I'd rather have no aero bug(s), but until it's cured I am not going to give up an advantage that is worth a second a lap. If you are happy losing big time, and knowing that you could be quicker, then fine. But I think your 90% (where did you get this figure or did you make it up?) is wrong. I only know about 4 people who refuse to use the high nose setups. None of them were competative before anyway, and certainly none of them are now.
Quote from Lex77 :And if it has a high nose, just delete it and continue with your own set.
It's bad enough that [a guesstimated] 90% of all online racers are using this exploit, don't become one of those lamers.

illepall
some people just like to make a stand for something. even if its imaginaryillepall
Thanks, all, for the contributions. I am was definitely talking about the FOX, i.e., Formula XR. If you can do a lap of AS Club in the FXO (fwd sedan) in less than 1:03 then my hat goes off to you.

I'll try jacking up the nose on my comfortable set and see what happens. If this makes me, say, 0.5 secs faster per lap, then I will certainly use it in online races.

I used to play a lot of NR2003 and although hardly a setup expert, I knew enough to know that some of the camber and caster settings being used for fast times in that game were pretty unlikely. Didn't stop me using those setups when I could get them. I see the exploitation of the aero bug in LFS as a similar issue.

Of course I welcome the day that a patch fixes this bug and rewards more realistic setup policies. But while it's out there, I cannot see why I should handicap myself. Many of my opponents may be exploiting (or "exploiting", if you prefer) the bug without even knowing that they're doing so, because they're using a set they got from some fast person online.

(Having said all that, no doubt I will launch the nose of my car skywards and still clock 1:03.2s...)
yea, hey guys, just a response to the original question. Yes you need the nose up, as you have read, it is a downforce bug. I really wish it would be fixed because it looks quite wierd and unrealistic. I also wish these things could get more power!!! IRL cars go around smaller Ovals at 230 ++, these F08's at Kyoto should make excess of 240 mph. Well, just another thing for the devs to think about. Just keep practicing, and if you see any EAGLE's or FM's, just ask, we'll help you out.

Cya on the Track,
(EAGLE)RaCeR
Let's Roll...
how much hp to weight to indy cars have.... they have around 800hp if i remember correctly. thats a tad bit more than the F08
exactly. why is the F08 sooo underpowered. thats what i want the dev's to do, make like 3 Formula cars (F1 Car, F3000/renault [FOX], Indy Car)
because they are still trying to perfect the physics and also i guess maybe they dont want to give us too much too soon? i think the f08 is plenty fast. its too bad most people find it too difficult to drive on anything other than the oval...

the f08 feels plenty powerfull to me. but of course i'd apreciate an indy or formula1 class car as we... Maybe even group c!
F08 is an F3000 car, so not underpowered (for what it is)
Quote from rAcEr2418 :exactly. why is the F08 sooo underpowered. thats what i want the dev's to do, make like 3 Formula cars (F1 Car, F3000/renault [FOX], Indy Car)

Maybe the racing sim your making will be better?
Why would they make the F08 an F3000 car, when it doesn't look like one. The FOX does. The F08 is similar to a GP2 car. I just have to check the specs of one. Whatevers, we can only wait for S3, or S2 full...
I drive the F08 all over the place, its all about throttle control, really. Not that hard, I dont know what the fuss is all about Makin an IndyCar with 2 or 3 more ovals can spark some amazing Oval racing, an F1 Car, with a few more F1-Spec tracks will make some amazing racing as well...not to mention all the great leagues and Events.

higher speed?
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG