The online racing simulator
Never expected this from a 8800GT
(59 posts, started )
the 3d mark cpu tests always run at 2 fps because theyre inteded to
dunno exactly what they vary to get a score but the point is if you traveled 500 years into the future and would somehow find that computer users still buy processors that are compatible to a (now) 30 year old 4 bit machine it would still run at exactly 2 fps
Quote from Shotglass :the 3d mark cpu tests always run at 2 fps because theyre inteded to
dunno exactly what they vary to get a score but the point is if you traveled 500 years into the future and would somehow find that computer users still buy processors that are compatible to a (now) 30 year old 4 bit machine it would still run at exactly 2 fps

Graphics cards have massive processing power, if we all had a GPU core in our Pc as the CPU, we'd all pretty much have supercomputers.

I read somewhere that a GPU can calculate data at a much higher rate than a CPU can, hence getting 40FPS on the graphics tests and 2FPS when the CPU has to render everything.

i think.
wrong again since a gpu only shows its strengths in massively parallel tasks (of a tremendous size the wrap up at the end of every calcualtion step takes ages iirc)
for the kind of general sequential desktop computing you do each and every day a cpu should pretty much wipe the floor with any gpu
additionally if im not mistaken a gpu doesnt have any integer alus
hello
my comp is
P4 celeron @2.6ghz S478
512mb ram
geforce 6800GT

problem is that on 1024x768 and absolute minimum details I can get max 40fps if noebody's on server
if 2-3 cars came im my FOV or anywhere near me, fps r falling to 12 or 14... (enough for crash)

on 1024x768 and deatails on max fps did never reach number of 10

any idea where's problem?
Quote from Mihajlo :hello
my comp is
P4 celeron @2.6ghz S478
512mb ram
geforce 6800GT

problem is that on 1024x768 and absolute minimum details I can get max 40fps if noebody's on server
if 2-3 cars came im my FOV or anywhere near me, fps r falling to 12 or 14... (enough for crash)

Your CPU is old, and it's socket 478 :P I have almost the same spec, but fps is about 30 when 4 cars online. In full grid I get 9.7 FPS...
Quote from Kniebeejs :Your CPU is old, and it's socket 478 :P I have almost the same spec, but fps is about 30 when 4 cars online. In full grid I get 9.7 FPS...

so you're saying that I should retire my present comp and get new one?
my comp is
P4 celeron @2.6ghz S478
512mb ram
geforce 6800GT

It kinda seems a bit low still, 2-3 cars and fps down to 12 with minimum details
Make sure to get latest drivers for your videocard and also remember to defrag your harddrive and stuff.

My old computer had Geforce 6600GT,Celeron 2,6GHZ, 1GB ram and i could play fine with many cars and even 4x AA (or 2x).
You have better videocard too, and about same processor, so it should play much much better for you.
Eleanor SpeedGT: You had soc. 775 or 478?
Mihajlo: You could buy the fastest 478 (if you found one), but I doubt it will be equal to some mid range soc 775 CPU
Stop jacking my thread!

Anyway Jertje check PM.

next week is E6750 time
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Stop jacking my thread!

Anyway Jertje check PM.

next week is E6750 time

I did, thanks
I think we'll be pretty much having the same system at some point ;P
Thank's. But wth? do you live in Finland?
my comp is
P4 celeron @2.6ghz S478
512mb ram
geforce 6800GT

well ur CPU is crap and ur ram is crap
What OS do u run? check the taskmanager after booting and tell us, how much RAM is in use (so we can see, if u are running not necesarry processes)
i have the asus 8800gt and its volt modded and overclocked very high so far. i did 2 runs only with 3dmark06 and my highest so far was 14k. ill be back to edit with new score. brb in 10min.

edit: heres my 3dmark05 score as of right now
Attached images
05.JPG
untitled.JPG
Quote from natedog420 :i have the asus 8800gt and its volt modded and overclocked very high so far. i did 2 runs only with 3dmark06 and my highest so far was 14k. ill be back to edit with new score. brb in 10min.

edit: heres my 3dmark05 score as of right now

stock fan/heatsink?
#41 - Jakg
He has it watercooled (no way should you EVER volt-mod on stock cooling!)
runnin 1.29 idle and 1.33-36 volts load. if i go to high over volt protection kicks in and shuts down. i dont know if i wanna do that mod yet but been thinking about it. my idle temps are usually 38c-40c and load temps around 50c-55c depending on the game or benchmark.
Changed my 7900GS for a 8800GT combined with an E6600 stock. Peak FPS increased - minimum is the same. LFS is very cpu intensive probably due to the physics. Put 30 cars with individual physics in one shot and you'd see a top of the liner cpu choke. Same thing for me with CSS online. Best bet is to find an overclockable intel motherboard and cheap c2d and buckoke it with fsb.
@takumi

ok...wtf is wrong with 80 fps?
u dont wanna tell me u SEE a difference between 80 an 150 fps.
if u say so u lie.
either ur PSU is simply weak and that way the card cant go full power (or the CPU) or u turned on vsync somewhere....additionally ur CPU could be about to die.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :@takumi

ok...wtf is wrong with 80 fps?
u dont wanna tell me u SEE a difference between 80 an 150 fps.
if u say so u lie.
either ur PSU is simply weak and that way the card cant go full power (or the CPU) or u turned on vsync somewhere....additionally ur CPU could be about to die.

hmm listen.

6600gt= 80-130fps 8800gt= 80-130fps.

Well, it is faster in other games afterall.
and btw my motherboard died. maybe that caused the slow fps etc.
#46 - 5haz
Perhaps you should be more grateful with your 80fps, just think of people like me, struggling to get 35fps with my Pentium 4 and FX5500 :P
I paid 270 for the 8800GT(they cost 230 now). As they said it could be my cpu which I dont have anymore.

Also I'll be running the 8800GT in SLI.

btw, Did you guys check out the 9600GT?
Yes but 9600GT is not as good as 8800GT, BUT it does get quite close actually to 8800gt, even though 8800GT has 112 shaders and 9600GT has only 64 :O
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :Yes but 9600GT is not as good as 8800GT, BUT it does get quite close actually to 8800gt, even though 8800GT has 112 shaders and 9600GT has only 64 :O

Yep, it seems Nvidia have just about hit the nail on the head with the new G94 core when it comes to being efficiant.
Takumi, I doubt your video card is your bottleneck, as others have said, and honestly a 8800GT is uber overkill for LFS. I'm getting well over 200fps at all times, with a PNY 8600GT Overclocked Edition, which is nowhere near as good as a 8800GT. Once you get a processor and some good memory bandwidth you'll be rocking way above 200fps at all times. Even with a full field of AI you should get nearly 100 with, well even a low-end C2D processor.

About the 9600GT, I was very impressed!!! I read a few trusty reviews on it, and although it's not quite as good as the 8800GT, considering it's power handicap's it blew by the radeon 3850, and even beat the 3870 when antialiasing was enabled, however without it, the 3870 only beat it by 3-9%. It was a full 12-15% behind the 8800GT, but blew away the 8600GT and 3850, and also the 256MB 8800! For $170-$190 US it should be the mid-range card to beat.

Never expected this from a 8800GT
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG