The online racing simulator
PS3 [GT5] chat
(79 posts, started )
Nah, NFS series are best to play when drunk, because you aren't sure what is blurring.. the game, or .. you

Overall, I think the colors are about right, the blooming is.. good enough, any more realistic bloom and you'd get the equivalent of horrible ghosting in photography talk.
I don't like the blur or the silly shine but the models are nice.
So that screenshot is EVEN LESS of a representation then... Which is the point.
Quote from XCNuse :It's so bad they've reduced photography to even show chromatic aberrations.. that is horrible.
They not only try to make something good, they make it worse by trying to make it look like it was taken by a bad photographer that can't read a light meter.

That's just the basic fault of depth of blur/field whatever. Now if just somehow every gamer in the world would get into their heads that some blurring and bloom shit does not equal to next-gen graphics.

That's just generally - not talking about GT5. It's one of the few (new) games nowadays that actually still looks quite natural, thanks for keeping the bloom at reasonable levels. Altough that screenshot seems to have more shining than the other ones.
The pc is more than powerfull enough to run a really good physics engine. The PS3 is also more than powerfull enough for this. Its all down to how well the designers build their engines and how realistic the data is that they throw in..
Quote from deggis :Altough that screenshot seems to have more shining than the other ones.

Yeah, in photo mode I believe you can output to a higher resolution, as well as change the focus, gama, shutter speed etc...

But its only still photos
Quote from tristancliffe :So that screenshot is EVEN LESS of a representation then... Which is the point.

Well that is a screen shot of actual gameplay.

You can change the resolution of the still photos in the game that you take but they output to a jpg i think.
#59 - DeKo
Quote from porschedrifter :Where do you see that resolution?

Those videos are 720p

Here's another real time render footage..

http://www.stage6.com/user/Kst ... 5-Prologue---HD-Trailer-2

Watch that video again. Now, take off your PS3/GT5 fanboy glasses and watch the video once more. Look at how uninspiring and frankly shit looking everything but the cars are, the track textures are horribly lo-res and their is very little scenery. Also, look at how, i dunno how to describe it, uncomfortable the cars look, they just look very strange and not real, not a very good advert for either physics or graphics.
Quote from DeKo :Watch that video again. Now, take off your PS3/GT5 fanboy glasses and watch the video once more. Look at how uninspiring and frankly shit looking everything but the cars are, the track textures are horribly lo-res and their is very little scenery. Also, look at how, i dunno how to describe it, uncomfortable the cars look, they just look very strange and not real, not a very good advert for either physics or graphics.

This is prologue not the finished product yet.

The track textures are not lo-res go look at the first video...

Cars look pretty real to me..

I'm watching some forza 2 vids and that looks pretty damn cool too
#61 - DeKo
Quote from porschedrifter :This is prologue not the finished product yet.

There was 0 difference between GT4: prologue and actual GT4, dont see why there should be any difference between that and GT5.
#62 - DeKo
Quote from porschedrifter :This is prologue not the finished product yet.

The track textures are not lo-res go look at the first video...

I have done, and they are still lo-res. Also, the first video is clearly not in game, for a start he is steering right and turning left. It is clearly never in game footage.
Quote from DeKo :I have done, and they are still lo-res. Also, the first video is clearly not in game, for a start he is steering right and turning left. It is clearly never in game footage.

The beginning of the first video is actual game renderings, meaning its not pre rendered, it's real time rendering using the GT5 engine. Though not playable, it is still real-time

And that's the only thing I wish they did add, skid marks. I don't know why they didn't add them but I know it's not because ps3 couldnt handle them.

More real time renderings: (right click save as)

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp ... 71219_gt5p_pv/gt5p_pv.wmv
That first video I just watched it, it looks.. screen shot wise it looks fantastic, but graphical interface it looks not so good, they didn't know what to do with his hands like Ricky Bobby I suppose, he's way to smooth on the steering wheel, if I saw someone's hands glide over a wheel like that I'd freak out because it looks so fake.
For example, when he runs off the road it's like he isn't even festered by it.. he just keeps his smooth hands on that wheel and hardly turns yet the car makes a tight turn, and keeps going.

3d artists did some excellent work, it's just once again, Polyphony's programmers let down the entire game.
Arists .. I support those guys 100% they do an excellent job, the coders.. I'm curious if they even give a damn about the game.
Quote from XCNuse :That first video I just watched it, it looks.. screen shot wise it looks fantastic, but graphical interface it looks not so good, they didn't know what to do with his hands like Ricky Bobby I suppose, he's way to smooth on the steering wheel, if I saw someone's hands glide over a wheel like that I'd freak out because it looks so fake.
For example, when he runs off the road it's like he isn't even festered by it.. he just keeps his smooth hands on that wheel and hardly turns yet the car makes a tight turn, and keeps going.

3d artists did some excellent work, it's just once again, Polyphony's programmers let down the entire game.
Arists .. I support those guys 100% they do an excellent job, the coders.. I'm curious if they even give a damn about the game.

Coders only care about 0's and 1's didnt u know?
#66 - mr_x
Can I have the half hour of my life back I just wasted reading all this?

porschedrifter... It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about hardware wise, more than once you've said something and people have proven you wrong and then you reply with "yeah my mistake" or something similar.

Yes, GT5 LOOKS good. It'll NEVER be more of a sim than LFS/rFactor/RACE07/GTR etc are due to different markets mentioned before in this thread.

When you say things like that on a LIVE FOR SPEED (yes, this is NOT a GT5 forum) forum, it's like an Athiest running into a church full of religious people telling them their faith is bollocks... that Athiest will probably get eaten alive... A bit like you are now...
(sorry for a bad example there, I've had a few beers and that's the first thing that came into my mind)
To the original poster, you have to realize that you are dealing with live for speed fan boys, your not gonna win this argument.

Me personally, i enjoy both games equally, and while playing them i sometimes come across certain things that i know would not happen in real life(this happens more in GT4). but you know what it dosen't bother me when i way it all in. Considering Gt4 is running on hardware designed in the late 90s i think they did a good job. you could go on and on with the stuff wrong with the gt but one thing i felt they do better than LFS is Balance.

LFS is just all over the place in terms of design great in some places and just horrible in others. one example, the drag strip, look how long its been in the game yet it didn't function like a real drag drip. i mean someone actually made a insim app that actually simulated a drag strip better the actual game
Quote from mr_x :Can I have the half hour of my life back I just wasted reading all this?

No.

and at least I went and did the research to make sure what I was saying was right and corrected myself if I was incorrect.
#69 - JJ72
you know, no one can prove your wrong even if you have a crush on Pamela Anderson.

have you ever....played the prologue with a steering wheel before making any comment about physics?
Quote from porschedrifter :No.

and at least I went and did the research to make sure what I was saying was right and corrected myself if I was incorrect.

Ha,
- about the ps3/360 processors, you copy/pasted some info without giving credit/telling where you got it from.
- you don't even own S2, yet you feel qualified to compare it to GT5, which isn't even out yet?
- mulitply times you've admitted yourself you were wrong in this thread, but you claim to research before you post?

Anywho, you have a nice OC on your 939, and I'm quite curious to hear what kind of cooling you're using.
Save yourself some money, buy an Xbox 360 and Forza 2, with the left over money you could buy a G25 and LFS.
What a frustrating thread to read. All this BS about the PS3 being more powerful and thus being better than everything else really gets to me. Sure the PS3 is more powerful however the programmers have a hell of a hard time actually getting the most out of it. There was an article explaining all this that i read although i have no idea where it is now.

GT5 will be the same old shit. I find it funny that porschedrifter states the developers drove the real cars and therefore they must handle the same when GT4 quite obviously does not handle anything like a real car.

*edit*
Hey what do yah know i found that article http://www.omgili.com/preview/ ... 0aHJlYWQucGhwP3Q9NzQ3MDM=
Quote from DeKo :Watch that video again. Now, take off your PS3/GT5 fanboy glasses and watch the video once more. Look at how uninspiring and frankly shit looking everything but the cars are, the track textures are horribly lo-res and their is very little scenery. Also, look at how, i dunno how to describe it, uncomfortable the cars look, they just look very strange and not real, not a very good advert for either physics or graphics.

But you gotta remember when "a casual gamer" - not sim gamer - looks at the video he thinks: "OMG, a real Skyline. OMG, the game looks so real. OMG, the physics are so real because Kazunori says so."

So the attention goes to the graphics and car models, no one actually cares (or knows how) to watch how the car acts like, how unrealistic F1-style braking power they have, how weird the grip is, how every car is such a understeering pig and how oversteer is non-existant. They cannot kind of "read between the lines" from the video.

Since the release of GT5P demo I've been browsing GTPlanet.net forums, I've been little surprised that there are lots of people with sense... surprisingly many actually sees GT's real place in the realism "pyramid". I think there PC sims are actually seen more hardcore than they really are. But then again people on that forum are probably more enlightened than on some regular PS3 forum.

This was about physics. No one can deny how excellent the car models are graphically, even that the environment is nothing like next-gen.
Well i've only got the concept so far but I have to say i'm quite impressed.

My only problem is that when all the driving aids are off (which should be the law really!) it's very hard to drive without a wheel. I was in the top 10 for quite a few cars at one point but then i tried it with the controller and it seems to be massive understeer and then snap oversteer at every corner! Very difficult to drive without a wheel.
I just watched the video, and the last time I saw cars doing that sort of thing was in an arcade. I noticed something else, while all the car models look super, they seem to have fogotten the mirrors are meant to show you whats behind you, rather than a mass of blurry pixels. Forza 2 looks like LFS compared to that video.

PS3 [GT5] chat
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG